Ableton Live

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Ableton Live

Post by Up the Junction »

After years of staying obstinately away from this in favour of the likes of Cubase, Studio One and Reaper I've finally taken the plunge and invested.

Any other users here and any tips/advice for resources, YouTubers to watch etc?
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Re: Ableton Live

Post by pablo jaye »

I’ll ask my son, as I am sure he used it for his
Music Tech degree.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

To be honest, DAWs are much of a muchness really. Reaper is great considering the price, Pro-Tools is vastly overrated considering the price, Studio-One, Cubase etc. are good if you're using a Windows platform. Personally as I use a Mac, I prefer Logic and use it almost exclusively for recording. Once you've worked out your workflow there really isn't that much difference between the various DAWs. Some may have gimmicks and features but the bottom line for any DAW is plugin support which, all of the above really do have.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Re cost, I managed to get Ableton on an educational license as you only need to prove you have a student (ie UtJ Jnr) in the house which reduced the price by a third or so.

Previously used Cubase (since 91/92) so always been comfortable with that and dabbled with Pro Tools (lite version) - I make you right GCRO.
Shy Ted
Has liked: 453 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:40 pm To be honest, DAWs are much of a muchness really. Reaper is great considering the price, Pro-Tools is vastly overrated considering the price, Studio-One, Cubase etc. are good if you're using a Windows platform. Personally as I use a Mac, I prefer Logic and use it almost exclusively for recording. Once you've worked out your workflow there really isn't that much difference between the various DAWs. Some may have gimmicks and features but the bottom line for any DAW is plugin support which, all of the above really do have.
Agree GCRO, I use Logic as well on my Mac with some Native Instruments plugins.

Used Cubase when it was only for Macs then they went Windows only, and Apple took on Logic I think.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Rather than hunt down cheap DAWs I'd be looking for the best free plugins. There's some great ones out there and if you have the time and patience then you can get some superb results for nothing. If you're willing to spend a bit of cash, I'd recommend anything from Izotope, particularly Ozone 10 which is almost a one stop shop for mixing and mastering.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Mastering frightens the wits out of me... something I've not had much experience with (largely because 95 per cent of my stuff remains unfinished). Ta for the link GCRO.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Just caught up with my son, and he reckons that this chap does some good tutorials - he also does private tutoring if you look on his webpage.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:36 am Mastering frightens the wits out of me... something I've not had much experience with (largely because 95 per cent of my stuff remains unfinished). Ta for the link GCRO.
Mate, 10 years ago with I'd agree 100% with you. If you ask me now, it's not that difficult to get great results in your own home. I know I sound like an endorsee for Izotope but I'm not. Their software has made mastering relatively easy. There's some great utilities within their Ozone 10 suite. I'd also recommend Neutron that they do as well, it's a great plugin for both mixing and mastering. If you combine this with some other plugins you can get some superb results.

Some great free plugin sites listed here:

https://routenote.com/blog/free-vst-plugins-sites/
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:52 pm Mate, 10 years ago with I'd agree 100% with you. If you ask me now, it's not that difficult to get great results in your own home.
Good to hear! Am planning to do as much as possible in the mix anyway, which seems infinitely more possible nowadays due to modern technology.

Thanks for the link/s, and to you too Pablo. :decks: :newthumb: