WC of WH Players: Round 2 Group E

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

JULIAN DICKS
32%
ALAN DEVONSHIRE
67%
DAVID CROSS
1%
MARTIN ALLEN
No votes

Total votes: 82

Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1315 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Please vote for whichever player you like best, using the poll, which will be added shortly. They don't have to be the best at football, just your favourite, the player you have good memories of etc. The thread can also be a good place to discuss the players.

Form guide: In the first round Dicks had the most comfortable result, taking 78% of the vote against Fabianski and Song, while Devonshire (30 votes) saw off strong resistance from Tony Cottee (17). Meanwhile, David Cross edged out Tony Gale by 3 votes while Allen was pushed even closer, finishing just 2 votes ahead of Adrian.

JULIAN DICKS

ALAN DEVONSHIRE

DAVID CROSS

MARTIN ALLEN
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Re: WC of WH Players: Round 2 Group E

Post by simon hammer »

Oohhh...another tough group. For me, Devo just shades it from Dicks, but it's mightily close.
Haarlemammer
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Haarlemammer »

Another for Dev. Dicks was too much of a thug for my liking. There, I said it…
uptonspark
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by uptonspark »

Now this is another close one between Devo and Psycho. But it must go to Devo.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Tough one. I like all 4 but would have to narrow it down to either Dicks or Devo.

Dicks had one of the best left foots I've ever seen. Such a shame the more "robust" nature of his play overshadowed his talents.

Devonshire was another genius.

Tough choice...
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Eggchaser
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Devonshire.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Dicks. I never saw Devonshire play.

For a large chunk of the 90s, Dicks was West Ham. Every kid's fave player back then.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

Very tough group, I think I voted for all four of them in the first round.
But for me there is only one winner from this lot. Devonshire was absolute class. If he hadn't gotten injured he would almost certainly be remembered as one of the greatest English players to ever play the game.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1639 likes

Post by last.caress »

I was more gutted about the three I didn't vote for than I was pleased about the one I did (Julian). Tough group.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 949 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Dev. Make no mistake, he was world class on his day. The way he could glide beyond opponents and go up through the gears. A phenomenal footballer and surely a big contender for this title.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Went for Devo in the end.
Tvirons77
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Tvirons77 »

Dev all day long, he would walk into any team in the world even now, absolute sublime footballer. Dev and Brooking in the same midfield must of been a joy to watch
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

****, this one's tough.

I'll never forget Dicks coming over to us at the end at Coventry when we were relegated. Horrible season full of hate only lightened by Julian.

His physicality didn't bother me, but his friction with Bonzo did. There's some people on here, or at least who used to be on here, who never forgave him for that or for slagging off the club on the golf course when he left but, f*** me, the club deserved any slagging off it got. His response to the man with the corner flag was also top class and in marked contrast to Mr West Ham Noble.

A wonderful left foot, a career cut short and a comeback that should never have been.

On the other hand Devo... As said above he was world class and again but for injury he would have been an England great.

I'm going to have a couple of beers to mull this one over.
WestHamLyallStyle

Doc, I hope you’re thinking about green pastures and cows. In other words Devonshire. 😀
WestHamLyallStyle

:scarfer:
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:59 am Dicks. I never saw Devonshire play.

For a large chunk of the 90s, Dicks was West Ham. Every kid's fave player back then.
This is a horrendous group - I voted for all of these in the previous rounds but poor Psycho and Mad Dog - no chance for either here.

It contains two of my favourite ever players. Julian is one of them. Dismissed as a thug by fans of other clubs. Those of us who were lucky to see him appreciated what we had - a wonderful, committed player with a left peg as good as they come. He was a class above. I see why Venables chose the superb Stuart Pearce for the Euros but make no mistake, Jules was the best left back in the country in '96 - no way would he have missed a shoot-out penalty.

I'll love, and I mean love, not just like, Julian until the day I die but sorry Jules, it has to be Dev. And I wish you'd seen him Stevey - because he an amazing player. I'm glad some upthread recognise him for what he was - world class player, or at their very least one on the verge of being recognised as world class before that Wigan **** wrecked him. Before then, and maybe this is the kid of the time seeing through claret and blue tinged coloured specs but had he ever been tackled? :) I'm not sure - he ghosted past players like they weren't there- we knew what he'd do - his opponents knew what he'd do and still they couldn't stop him.

People who never saw him may see clips like his cross in the cup final that led to Geno's goal and think he was an old fashioned left winger going outside his full back and hitting the touchline to cross. No. Thirty or so yards out he would invariably cut inside the full back leaving them wrong footed. I have a mate who played against Devo for two big northern teams who says he hated the prospect of playing against him because he knew he'd be made a fool of. I wonder how many other full backs felt the same. He could also play superb little incisive passes - a feature that came more and more to the fore after that injury conned him of his pace.

I could talk about this man for ever - like doesn't come into it. I loved Psycho and Jules but Devo will always be the footballing love of my life. I know he won't win this lovely completion Korea has set up, but I'll vote for him until he's kicked out. I hope he's got a way to go yet so I can bore on about him in the next round.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:56 pm Doc, I hope you’re thinking about green pastures and cows. In other words Devonshire. 😀
I did in the end. The SF Elland Road goal clinched it :newthumb:
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Julian. I think he’ll likely lose this, but I have to vote for Dicksy.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I remember seeing Julian outside one of the pubs around Villa Park before the FA Cup Semi Final vs Middlesbrough and he was a fan like the rest of us. He properly got West Ham and I will never forget the penalty against Man Utd in 1996 at Upton Park, hit with such ferocity that even if Schmeichel had got a hand to it, it would’ve probably broken his wrist.
However, I cannot look past the silky skills of the bargain buy from Southall, Alan Devonshire. A crucial player during some great years between 1980 and 1986, Devo was a magician on the pitch and it was an absolute delight seeing him weave his magic.
A real favourite of mine and despite The Terminator’s best efforts it’s another vote for Devo.