🏆Match #52: Round of 16 - England 3-0 Senegal (4/12/22, 7pm)

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Re: 🏆Match #52: Round of 16 - England v Senegal (4/12/22, 7pm)

Post by sendô »

Never in doubt, even first half when we looked a bit flat.

England are the best team in this tounament. Take the emotion and our natural pessimism given ****ing everything that has gone before for our entire lives aside for a moment and look at it objectively.

-12 goals scored in 4 games, most in the tournament.
-Overall GD +10, by far the most in the tournament.
-Both the USA and Senegal have worked very hard to counter us and made their entire game about stopping us, but neither could score.
-Exciting young attacking talent both starting and from the bench.
-World class midfielders like Rice and Bellingham are as good as anything France have.

If the Germans had cruised through the groups like we have, scored through the team like we have and put teams to the sword even when not bring at their best like we have, we’d all be backing them to win.

It’s coming home lads. :scarfer:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Junco Partner wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:25 pm Kept a neutral's eye on our Deccy tonight
I did the same with Maguire. A few moments but he's plenty good enough for us. I genuinely believe we'd be a good fit for each other.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Sterling went home because armed robbers broke into his house last night where his family was.

What a bunch of scumbags.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

I think the major question from tonight is whether England can still play like they did in the first 40 tonight or the first half against Wales and then go for the jugular against teams that are a step up in quality. The Dutch and the French have also made reasonably light work of their progress to this stage, and unlike Senegal will have players (think M’Bappe) that could have something in their locker (ala Messi, last night) that could throw the plan into a bit of a spin.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

smuts wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:32 pm Sterling went home because armed robbers broke into his house last night where his family was.

What a bunch of scumbags.
C*nts of the highest order.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Any negativity I'm still seeing is really disrupting my enjoyment right now

As for this forthcoming working week, it's going to feel like ****ing eternity.
RexBanner
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 55 likes

Post by RexBanner »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:30 pm Best in 96, too 👍
Except we weren’t. Euro 96 is utter rose tinted spectacles because of the general feel good Britpop summer having the tournament at home and battering the Dutch with our best performance arguably ever.

The rest of the tournament we were bang average, awful against Switzerland opening game, no better against Scotland until Tel got into us at half time, even then had McAllister put his pen away that match could have gone very sideways but Uri Geller rolled the ball off the spot, Seaman got his elbow to the ball and then Gazza went up the other end of the pitch and scored the goal of the tournament whilst Tel was preparing to hook him off (true story, look it up) and the game now looks very different. Holland hands down the best performance I have seen England put in to this day.

But Spain absolutely battered us in the QF, were easily the better team and were on the wrong end of some extremely dodgy refereeing decisions including two disallowed goals for offside as I recall (neither of them were ) and a stonewall penalty that should have been given against Gazza and was waved away. Somehow we squeezed past them on pens but we were distinctly second best that day.

The German side we lost to in the Semi was there for the taking that night, largely over the hill and past their best (look at their match against Iran in France just two years later) and no Klinsmann but somehow we laboured to a draw and benefitted from a golden goal they scored being waved away for a contentious foul. Don’t get me wrong the memories of that summer are awesome but take the Holland game out of it and we didn’t perform well and in fact had some massive amounts of luck which eventually ran out against a bang average German team.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1932 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

One thing about Southgate,he has brought a togetherness to England since his been in charge.We look like a team that know what jobs they have to do,where has in the past,we have looked like individuals. We have had a lot better players,who have achieved a lot less.

I have been critical of Southgate,but I will have to swallow my words I'm afraid.His got us to a Quarter,a Semi and a Final in the past 3 major competitions.

I think we are better team this time round though with the brilliant young Bellingham in the team.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Are Senegal the best team England have knocked out of a tournament under Southgate? Must come close to beating Germany.

Teams England have knocked out at major tournaments under Southgate:

Senegal
Denmark
Ukraine
Germany
Sweden
Colombia

No mugs among those teams. Coming after being knocked out by Iceland in 2016.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

'stone hammer wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:06 pm Are Senegal the best team England have knocked out of a tournament under Southgate? Must come close to beating Germany.

Teams England have knocked out at major tournaments under Southgate:

Senegal
Denmark
Ukraine
Germany
Sweden
Colombia

No mugs among those teams. Coming after being knocked out by Iceland in 2016.
Exactly, every pessimist moaning saying we haven't beaten anyone decent but all of those teams are good and combative as you like.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Still relieved Senegal had two of their best players missing tonight..

#JustNeedSomeFrenchMatchMissingInjuriesInTraining
Samba

Post by Samba »

r99c wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:52 pm Any negativity I'm still seeing is really disrupting my enjoyment right now

As for this forthcoming working week, it's going to feel like ****ing eternity.
Like used to be waiting for Christmas & birthdays!
At least England are STILL in the World Cup, ALL week.. :newthumb:
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

RexBanner wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:59 pm Except we weren’t. Euro 96 is utter rose tinted spectacles because of the general feel good Britpop summer having the tournament at home and battering the Dutch with our best performance arguably ever.

The rest of the tournament we were bang average, awful against Switzerland opening game, no better against Scotland until Tel got into us at half time, even then had McAllister put his pen away that match could have gone very sideways but Uri Geller rolled the ball off the spot, Seaman got his elbow to the ball and then Gazza went up the other end of the pitch and scored the goal of the tournament whilst Tel was preparing to hook him off (true story, look it up) and the game now looks very different. Holland hands down the best performance I have seen England put in to this day.

But Spain absolutely battered us in the QF, were easily the better team and were on the wrong end of some extremely dodgy refereeing decisions including two disallowed goals for offside as I recall (neither of them were ) and a stonewall penalty that should have been given against Gazza and was waved away. Somehow we squeezed past them on pens but we were distinctly second best that day.

The German side we lost to in the Semi was there for the taking that night, largely over the hill and past their best (look at their match against Iran in France just two years later) and no Klinsmann but somehow we laboured to a draw and benefitted from a golden goal they scored being waved away for a contentious foul. Don’t get me wrong the memories of that summer are awesome but take the Holland game out of it and we didn’t perform well and in fact had some massive amounts of luck which eventually ran out against a bang average German team.
Everyone needs a bit of luck, but we played good football in all the games I remember watching. 1-1 vs the Swiss flattered them, we were great against the Scots, manhandled the Dutch, held our own against Spain, then got out-Germaned by the Germans. We could have made the final and would have been favourites if we did.
RexBanner
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 55 likes

Post by RexBanner »

We were not great against the Scots you must have been watching a different game. The Switzerland game was awful they were battering us right through the second half and the penalty they eventually won had been coming for fifteen minutes. The press got right into England after that opening game. The Spain game was daylight robbery, they pissed all over us!

But agree to disagree :crossed:
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

r99c wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:10 pm Exactly, every pessimist moaning saying we haven't beaten anyone decent but all of those teams are good and combative as you like.
Problem is, we’ve come up short against legit “top top” tier sides in Belgium, Croatia and Italy in the last couple of tournaments. Beating France next would be our biggest achievement under waistcoat.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

RexBanner wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:17 pm We were not great against the Scots you must have been watching a different game. The Switzerland game was awful they were battering us right through the second half and the penalty they eventually won had been coming for fifteen minutes. The press got right into England after that opening game. The Spain game was daylight robbery, they pissed all over us!

But agree to disagree :crossed:
I never felt we’d lose any of our games, including vs Germany. That might be the only time watching an England campaign I’ve actually felt that. Even when we weren’t playing our best, that team was full of match winners. Gazza, Sheringham & Sherer meant we always had a chance.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

You’re right, of course, my spectacles could well be rose-c*nted. 96 was a good summer 👍
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:20 pm Beating France next would be our biggest achievement under waistcoat.
I think we could, and I think if you had to pick a first XI from the two squads, it would be slightly in France's favour but both squads have an abundance of talent.

Should we beat France, we'll face either Morocco, Spain, Portugal or Switzerland in the semi-final.

And just for fun, from the two starting XIs today:

Lloris

Walker
Varane
Upamecano
Hernandez

Rice
Bellingham
Rabiot

Griezmann
Mbappe
Kane
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

96 was a great summer. The Switz game wasnt great, but who really remembers the opening match.

The Jocks tried their best but got outperformed, and we destroyed the Dutch. The Spain game was the flat one, and we gave it a good go vs Germany.

It was a great tournament for us overall.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1337 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

jastons wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:37 pm 3 nil. It's coming home.
Did you do the lottery for Tuesday?