🏆Match #52: Round of 16 - England 3-0 Senegal (4/12/22, 7pm)

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Re: 🏆Match #52: Round of 16 - England v Senegal (4/12/22, 7pm)

Post by Colours never run »

The one time I thought our 'golden generation' looked good, doing well and peaked was at the 2002 World Cup. We only just got beat by the great Brazilian side of the time that went on to win it including the likes of Ronaldo, Cafu, Roberto Carlos and Ronaldinho 2-1 in the Quarter Final. I think we even took the lead with Owen too. I felt that had we managed to beat them, then I would have fancied us to get to the Final possibly winning it. We certainly didn't shame ourselves that time and felt pride to narrowly lose to 1 of the best ever Brazilian sides there's ever been. We went toe to toe with them only to lose to a wonder goal/fluke, depending on how you wished to view the goal.

I was also proud of the fact we boasted 3 Hammers in the squad at that time too, Cole, James and in particular tricky Trevor Sinclair who played a significant role in the Team.

Come to think of it, we did really well at the Portugal Euros 2 years later in 2004 where we lost on pens to Portugal with Rooney having to gonoff injured and had he remained fit, I could see us winning that game as he was flying and again potentially winning it.
Last edited by Colours never run on Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3177 likes
Total likes: 2316 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

fandabidicksy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:12 pm Burglary a cover story apparently.
So he punches Luke Shaw, Southgate and the coaches and players collectively decide to cover it up (including the black eye presumably), but also that Sterling needs to be sent home, and everyone decides to make up a story about his missus and kids being attacked by armed intruders as that's the best way to hide the truth???

Sounds like the same **** as ever when it comes to Sterling tbh. :zippy:
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by smuts »

What a load of old bull**** that Sterling/Shaw story is. :thdn:
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

Paolopaul wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:51 am Imagine being so unbothered about playing for England that you retire for being played out of position. Exactly the sort of selfishness that Southgate has worked hard to remove from the England set up.

People seem to forget that Scholes had years playing for England in his preferred central midfield without really doing much.
Scholes has commented in an interview before that he had no problem with playing wide left and that where ever that story came from it wasn’t from him.

He also said Sven should have dropped as in his own words his performances were ‘no where near good enough’ for England for quite a while.

As for the midfield, a manager needed to be brave enough and pick either Gerrard or Lampard and play Carrick far more.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:23 am We were so horribly unversatile back then. Players only had one way to play - replicate their club style. Compare that with the likes of Declan, who has the discipline and technical ability to play a number of different roles for club & country (arguably, with different effectiveness, but that’s an issue with management, not player adaptability).
In many ways it’s why it’s remarkable that Matthew Etherington didn’t get capped around 2006. He was one of the few left wingers out there who could cross and take on a man. Under Southgate he’d certainly have been tried.
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

stu1 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:24 am Scholes has commented in an interview before that he had no problem with playing wide left and that where ever that story came from it wasn’t from him.

He also said Sven should have dropped as in his own words his performances were ‘no where near good enough’ for England for quite a while.

As for the midfield, a manager needed to be brave enough and pick either Gerrard or Lampard and play Carrick far more.
That’s really interesting.

I’ve always had a big problem with Scholes because I forever hear how great he was and how he was shunned for Lampard and Gerrard etc etc but I always thought he never delivered for England, he had the shirt first and it was taken from him because he didn’t deliver. It’s forever a charge against every England manager that they love their favourites who play for the big clubs and yet Scholes was replaced by younger talent and somehow he was the wronged party.

Interesting that he recognises he didn’t deliver for England and that he didn’t have an issue with being moved as a result.

Assuming what you say is true Stu, and I have no reason to suspect otherwise, my respect for the man has grown.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:34 am The one time I thought our 'golden generation' looked good, doing well and peaked was at the 2002 World Cup.

I was also proud of the fact we boasted 3 Hammers in the squad at that time too, Cole, James and in particular tricky Trevor Sinclair who played a significant role in the Team.
And then we got relegated the following season. Classic West Ham. :oops:
Colours never run wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:34 am Come to think of it, we did really well at the Portugal Euros 2 years later in 2004 where we lost on pens to Portugal with Rooney having to gonoff injured and had he remained fit, I could see us winning that game as he was flying and again potentially winning it.
Yeah, I agree. I thought we looked great in the 2004 Euros. Rooney getting crocked in the Portugal KO game was a huge blow.

Where Sven royally ****ed up, and when we were utter **** and boring, was in the 2006 WC. Our strikers was a half-fit Rooney, an injury prone Owen (whose knee subsequently exploded, and 16 year old Walcott who didn't play a single minute.

Awful tournament and showing.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2705 likes

Re: 🏆Match #52: Round of 16 - England 3-0 Senegal (4/12/22, 7pm)

Post by sendô »

2004 was there for the taking. Rooney getting injured did for us. We’d have done the Greeks in the ginal.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1962 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:37 pm
Where Sven royally ****ed up, and when we were utter **** and boring, was in the 2006 WC. Our strikers was a half-fit Rooney, an injury prone Owen (whose knee subsequently exploded, and 16 year old Walcott who didn't play a single minute.

without dragging this off topic, that's another reason I lost interest in our games. Sven seemed like he never gave a f**k toward that period. and the para above is absolutely spot on. seemed as though the red tops were correct that he got pressured into taking Walcott by the Arsenal hierarchy and it was just like, "yeah okay, no big deal, I'm still getting paid."

actually our first 2 goals yesterday we so "anti-England" these days. our slow methodical build up plans seemed to be chucked out of the window and we just countered. and they were BOTH excellent goals,
the Kane was was truly a top , top goal. brilliant in execution. and the finish was top draw.

I'd like to see us on the front foot a little more as we definitely have the talent to do it. for example the Cloggies showed us how to beat the Americans. I wish we had shown more like yesterday when we played them.

however, I'm happy we're where we are and am really excited about playing the French.

there were some definitely anxious early doors moments and it could have turned out much differently if they had finished those early chances.

two early against the Americans, two more yesterday, we HAVE to cut that out. M'bappe won't miss those I reckon.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:37 pm And then we got relegated the following season. Classic West Ham. :oops:

Yeah, I agree. I thought we looked great in the 2004 Euros. Rooney getting crocked in the Portugal KO game was a huge blow.

It was a disappointing end and we didn't play great football but we also didn't embarrass ourselves. We won 3 games against Paraguay, Ecuador, Trinidad & Tobago, as well as drawing 2-2 with a decent Sweden side - Joe Cole scoring a blinding goal. We eventually went out to a quality Portgual side containing Figo and a young Ronaldo again narrowly losing on pens after a 0-0 draw down to 10 men. We were quality defensively. Another whisker away from a Semi Final. Fine margins and all that.