🏆Match #60: Quarter Final - England v France (10/12/22, 7pm)

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Re: 🏆Match #60: Quarter Final - England v France (10/12/22, 7pm)

Post by Metal Hammer »

My gut feeling is we would've won that with a better manager.
GPW
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by GPW »

Humbug wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:53 pm Declan was fantastic imho but I think he was instructed not to make forward runs.
Which may be why he was fantastic. Moyes needs to also get him to stick to what he is great at.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

That game should have been the final. We didn’t play bad, just silly mistakes that cost us
Xabbu
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Xabbu »

Disco_1 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:46 pm The disappointing thing is not seeing Declan enjoying the ultimate success for England whilst a West Ham player.
If England do ever win something sadly Dec will be plying his trade elsewhere.
My thoughts exactly. I’ll only ever enjoy England when England involves West Ham. I think that may have died today, but not through the endeavour of our boy. Proper performance xx
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

We were unlucky, on another night we run out clear winners. Rice and Saka were great.

I just knew Kane was going to miss the second penalty, straight away I just thought this ain't going in and Sterling should have been the last bloke on the pitch, he hadn't trained all week.

Once again, another big game we should have won but didn't.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

a really good review from the Guardian imvho

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... nalty-miss

As it was, there was so much here for England to be proud about as they went toe-to-toe with the world champions for 90 minutes. They were bold, they were inventive. They pushed forward in a style that shed their familiar conservatism.

And, at times, it seemed that all sorts of enticing possibilities were opening up, especially after Kane’s penalty early in the second half equalised Aurélien Tchouaméni’s early thunderbolt.

Since England’s sole World Cup triumph in 1966 their results in the knockout stages have followed a simple repetitive formula: they lose to the first powerhouse they face. And so it proved. But there was no shame in this defeat.

Questions had lingered about Southgate’s tactics in the biggest games, when the stakes are so high even a Vegas high-roller might blink. England had been 1-0 up against Croatia in the 2018 World Cup semi-finals, and again against Italy in the Euro 2020 final, only to concede ground and, eventually, the game. Not this time.

It was a sign of Southgate’s confidence that he kept the same team of players that beat Senegal in the last 16, lined up in a 4-3-3 formation. Initially, however, they were too cautious and deservedly went behind after 17 minutes. But the blow came early enough to shake England out of their lethargy. And they responded magnificently.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

smuts wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:04 am I just knew Kane was going to miss the second penalty,
There was a camera shot of Mbappe doing mocking laughter at Kane afterwards. Ironically I hadn't realised he was on the pitch until then. His only other contribution to the match was diving over Henderson's foot to try to get him booked. Thought he was supposed to be summat special.
Bucksexile
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 127 likes

Post by Bucksexile »

Two big mistakes, imo.

Kanes penalty miss. WTF?

Southgate not making substitutions at 60 minutes.

We certainly could have won that if we were braver.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1798 likes
Total likes: 1119 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Sticky wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:58 pm This is the most amazing humble brag.

I want to us to be best friends immediately Macca. I like the cut of your jib.
Thanks Sticky :D , you got it!
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Fine margins and all that.....
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

To suggest anyone but Kane should've taken that 2nd penalty is nonsense. Whoelse would you rather have taken it? If Southgate had switched takers and that taker missed, people would be going mad at him for that. I haven't been his biggest fan, but don't think he did much wrong Yesterday tbh. I don't think we were particualrly negative the first half either. Stats favoured England, had the majority of the possession and had looked dangerous. Conceding from a phase of play that was a blatant foul. The foul aside, the first goal was well worked and a great finish and the 2nd a delivery of as high quality as it gets. England were very unlucky. France struggled to cope with us going forward for plenty of that match. They just have the quality to hurt when they need to and that's basically what happened. I'm surprised people are saying England were meh, **** etc. I really don't know what there was to complain about, other than actually being knocked out.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Exactly that eggy

It’s just so frustrating that it’s always us that are the gallant losers. Could we have won last night? Hell yes, but we didn’t and that’s another opportunity missed.
I am still gutted this morning especially at the thought of the French winning the World Cup for what would be the third time since we won our solitary Cup.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:10 am There was a camera shot of Mbappe doing mocking laughter at Kane afterwards. Ironically I hadn't realised he was on the pitch until then. His only other contribution to the match was diving over Henderson's foot to try to get him booked. Thought he was supposed to be summat special.
Best player in the world right now on course to win his second World Cup at the age of 23?

You must have high standards :crylol:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:10 am Thought he was supposed to be summat special.
A number of times, including in the build up to their first goal, he drew three England players to him. He had impact without having impact.

I was actually impressed as he did the unselfish bit yesterday. Proper performance for the team rather than himself.
MB

Post by MB »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:04 am Just seen it again. Kanes proper Waddled that second one. Dreadful.
You could see before he took it that the pressure was getting to him, but I agree with Wilko, who else would you give the responsibility to in that situation?

Ultimately we went toe to toe with a very good French side and lost to two very good goals while being unlucky not to take it to extra time. I've seen enough England knockout performances where we don't turn up to appreciate last night for what it was.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

MB wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:49 am A number of times, including in the build up to their first goal, he drew three England players to him. He had impact without having impact.

I was actually impressed as he did the unselfish bit yesterday. Proper performance for the team rather than himself.
Exactly.

Also left Declan absolutely trailing in his wake at one point. Mbappe went past him so easily and Rice's slide tackle was so late he wasn't even close enough to trip him. Not sure I've ever seen that with Rice before.
MB

Post by MB »

Metal Hammer wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:20 am My gut feeling is we would've won that with a better manager.
A better keeper and centre half and we'd have won it. I've never seen Pickford save one of those in his whole career and as good as the cross was for the second, slabhead was a fraction slow which took it from a likely goal to an inevitable one.

I don't like Southgate's style but I do think he has done wonders in the major tournaments with the players he has available to him.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

MB wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:17 am A better keeper and centre half and we'd have won it. I've never seen Pickford save one of those in his whole career and as good as the cross was for the second, slabhead was a fraction slow which took it from a likely goal to an inevitable one.
Yep agree with that.
I don't like Southgate's style but I do think he has done wonders in the major tournaments with the players he has available to him.
I felt he left his subs far too late and when he finally made them they were the wrong players (The French players stupid foul on Mount notwithstanding)
MB

Post by MB »

Metal Hammer wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:38 am I felt he left his subs far too late and when he finally made them they were the wrong players (The French players stupid foul on Mount notwithstanding)
That is fair. Henderson was blowing out of his arse at about 60mins.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Southgate definitely got the subs wrong last night. Taking off Saka and Foden when we’re chasing the game. And bringing on Sterling seemed more compassionate than a tactical choice.