🏆Match #60: Quarter Final - England v France (10/12/22, 7pm)

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Misko
Has liked: 468 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Re: 🏆Match #60: Quarter Final - England v France (10/12/22, 7pm)

Post by Misko »

I didn't read nor hear them, but I saw several French comments about classy post-match reactions of Southgate and Kane. :thup:
Tarte Encore
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Tarte Encore »

MB wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:53 am You could see before he took it that the pressure was getting to him.
Had the pen been awarded straight away he'd have more than likely buried it. All the faffing around with VAR when it was a stonewaller straight off the bat gave him, what, 3 minutes to overthink it? Just a theory.
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Euros 18 months …
Group C
England
Sweden
Slovenia
Northern Ireland
England win group with 7 points despite drawing in opener v Slovenia
Unbelievably Wales have qualified for last 16 and meet England
Sean Dyche has nominated James Milner as his penalty taker and Milner duly converts 2 in a 5-0 victory
Milner reprises Harry Kane’s “ girly jump goal celebration “
The whole nation is sent in to fever pitch as hosts Germany are beaten by Slovenia
…. It’s coming home the Nation roars
The Sun does cut out Sean Dyche goatee beards
England draw Spain in QF ……..
Spain are beaten in Semis
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

Reflecting on the morning of the night before, I think there is a tendency to over analyse. You're either good enough, or you're not, and on this occasion we were not.

I'm happy with that, leave it to the experts to try again next time. We have a young core to the squad so you never know.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

MB wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:49 am A number of times, including in the build up to their first goal, he drew three England players to him. He had impact without having impact.

I was actually impressed as he did the unselfish bit yesterday. Proper performance for the team rather than himself.
Then there was that point where he gave Kyle Walker half a yard and still went past him.

On another note I'd have had Slabhead take that pen. That one he took in the penalty shootout in Russia (I think) was sublime.

Correction it was against Italy in the Euro Final.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

We was the better team and lost. The ref was poor but then they always are at world cups.

But then FIFA are also going to get the final they wanted for the TV.

Messi vs Mbappe

The old great vs the new face of global football.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Gaz wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:22 am Reflecting on the morning of the night before, I think there is a tendency to over analyse. You're either good enough, or you're not, and on this occasion we were not.

I'm happy with that, leave it to the experts to try again next time. We have a young core to the squad so you never know.
Likewise, but although we weren't good enough last night, we showed we are good enough overall and have the quality to beat the best teams. 16 shots 8 on target to France's 8 with 5 on target.

To anyone saying we didn't create anything except penalties: when we were on the cusp of creating a goal scoring opportunity, France saw fit to give away a penalty (thought we should've had 3 overall)

I thought Southgate was spot on with his subs. Second half we were the dominant side and we looked like we were going to go on to win it, so why change it? I don't see the problem with chucking Sterling on after France take the lead on 78 minutes. Look at our bench, what's the alternative?

This tournament, in my opinion, Southgate has managed the games extremely well. Previous tournaments are questionable, but like these young players he's gaining experience and I don't think there was much more he could've done. Classy interviews from him and Kane too, they're both a credit to the team and two great people for the young players to learn from.

A side note - one yellow card all tournament. You could maybe argue we're not cynical enough, but personally I love that we try to play football properly. No antics, minimal shithousery.
Last edited by 'stone hammer on Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Let's face it though, the ref was a reffin' nightmare, wasn't he ? I believe he is being sent home now by FIFA, opening the door for our very own, Michael Oliver to take the final
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Ref was a joke, without var we wouldn't of had two pens, that surely shows how bad he was
Not sure why we took Foden and Saka off, Saka had the beating of them, was winning fouls, going past people
Henderson looked past it last night, playing France is a far higher test than Senegal
Maguire has to do better for the second goal, as a CB that is his core job and he let his main score, poor
Kane missing that second penalty summed up his career, when it matters in the big moments he goes missing, even more so in open play, he is literally the English Immobile
What is Mason Mount, if he had come through at Forest, nobody would've battered an eyelid
It feels like when it goes a bit wrong, Southgate just panics and reverts to safety ie Sterling and Mount, needs to have more plans, hell even take off Henderson for TAA, chuck Walker at RCB and let TAA just bomb forward

I thought we played well but at the end of the day it's the result that matters and we didn't come out on top of that
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Im not going to watch it back, but it was a clear foul on Saka ahead of our first, and it took two VAR interventions to give two clear penalties.

First half France were better, second half we were, but one chance for ****ing Giroud killed us.

Merde.
evomutant
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by evomutant »

sendô wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:58 pm Im not going to watch it back, but it was a clear foul on Saka ahead of our first, and it took two VAR interventions to give two clear penalties.

First half France were better, second half we were, but one chance for ****ing Giroud killed us.

Merde.
The first one was given on field to be fair, pointed straight at the spot.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

We had numerous opportunities to cross the ball and couldn't deliver a good one, partly good defending from the French. We give Griezman a yard and delivers the ball of the game. Fine margins.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

We showed up against a very very good French side and gave them a game. Small margins at this level.

Pickford has had his day, time we find a new number one. He just seems to angrly shout at his defense/ midfield most of the time.

Again as others have said, who else would you pick to take that penalty. Makes it harder as he scored the first quite convincingly.

Thought Dec's had a good game and showed at times, when allowed off the leash, he can go forward. However, when sitting, he doesn't move into space and would have a couple or three French players around him and all still expect the ball played to him. He did slow the play down a lot.

Ref did give a lot to the French in his decisions and was one of the poorer refs of the tournament.

Ho hum, roll on the euros.
pbenjy
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by pbenjy »

You can’t blame Kane. Unfortunately for him, he has never played for a club with a winning mentality.

If Levy had let him join Man City, you can guarantee that he would have slotted that second pen.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

France were lucky. Both of their goals were one in ten chances. England were unlucky. We just didn't have quite enough going forward to get past a very good defence.

I do wonder though, bearing in mind how few West Ham players have been selected over the last forty years, how the national team manages to West Ham the f*** out of every key game?
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

sussexhammer74 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:13 pm Pickford has had his day, time we find a new number one. He just seems to angrly shout at his defense/ midfield most of the time.
I did think he was very slow to react to Tchouameni's shot, but that aside I think Pickford has once again had an excellent tournament.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

sussexhammer74 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:13 pm
Pickford has had his day, time we find a new number one. He just seems to angrly shout at his defense/ midfield most of the time.

I dont think pickford has ever let england down. Pen saves in the euros, commands his line.. amazing save just before we gifted france a second bite of the cherry

coming into his prime

I dont think we see him replaced anytime soon

shame for the others as they are decent keepers but pickford is outstanding
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

taking two pens against your club keeper was always a bad idea, but kane was never going to give up the chance of immortality or risk someone else missing and getting it in the neck by proxy, nor did anyone else have the standing to say "no mate, this is a ***** idea, someone else should take this".

bit of an iceberg moment, as was the decision which cost us at the euros to bring on players just to take pens.

c'est la angleterre.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:52 pm shame for the others as they are decent keepers but pickford is outstanding
Outstanding saves the first goal. You could make a very long YouTube video of him conceding those shots. It was analysed in depth during his lean spell for Everton and is a technique issue with his footwork.

He has had some outstanding performances but I don't think he is an outstanding keeper.

The whole back five should be up for review IMO.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

We lacked pace up front through the centre and a creative midfielder. Crossing has been pretty average all through the tournament but there was no-one to cross to in the penalty area, especially when we stretched teams down the wings (Kane was too slow).