Maradona or Messi?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Shabu
Has liked: 4150 likes
Total likes: 2006 likes

Maradona or Messi?

Post by Shabu »

In your opinion who's better?

I think Maradona is the most skilful player ever. Pele is the Daddy, but Maradona was just magical.

He was the Paul Daniels of football.

Messi is excellent but isn't half the player Maradona was.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2090 likes
Total likes: 1795 likes

Re: Maradona or Messi?

Post by Ironing Board »

Messi. Better for longer. Anything Maradona can do Messi can do more consistently and arguably better.
hammers92
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Is comparisons between generations fair? You can only be judged amongst the period and players you played against I think.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

My judgment is clouded by the hand of god nonsense.

So Messi
Kermit
Has liked: 87 likes
Total likes: 315 likes

Post by Kermit »

For me it's Messi. Both as a player and as a human being. It's often said of Messi "ah, but he's never won the world cup", a situation which could of course change on Sunday, but for some reason it's never pointed out that Messi has won 4 champions league winners medals but Maradona has only one one European club honour, the UEFA cup with Napoli.

No denying they are both entitled to the accolade "great" but for me Messi wins the GOAT award.
stammer
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by stammer »

Likeability messi by far but I have to say maradona although as been said comparisons across generations are very difficult, including the fact that maradona played in an age when he was kicked to buggery in some games.

Messi is obviously a great player, the nauseating commentary towards him puts me right off, messi points at something and it is a sign of greatness, a good idea for a satirical sketch, sycophantic commentary team follow messsi round doing everyday things that nobody else could do, "the way he sweeps his bacon sandwich off the cafe counter, mesmerising the counter staff with his genius"
Kermit
Has liked: 87 likes
Total likes: 315 likes

Post by Kermit »

stammer wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:32 am Likeability messi by far but I have to say maradona although as been said comparisons across generations are very difficult, including the fact that maradona played in an age when he was kicked to buggery in some games.

Messi is obviously a great player, the nauseating commentary towards him puts me right off, messi points at something and it is a sign of greatness, a good idea for a satirical sketch, sycophantic commentary team follow messsi round doing everyday things that nobody else could do, "the way he sweeps his bacon sandwich off the cafe counter, mesmerising the counter staff with his genius"
Obsequiously sycophantic commentary always been with us hasn't it. David Beckham was one who attracted great swathes of it during his career, just as Messi and Ronaldo, at least until recently, have always done. Paul Gascoigne was another back in the day.
Misko
Has liked: 463 likes
Total likes: 1335 likes

Post by Misko »

Maradona. He played for love, for hate, for passion, for a cause or just for cocaine, Messi plays for money. Maradona partied with mafia bosses and hookers, Messi did tax evasion. Maradona was a f*cking rock star, Messi is a greedy boy scout.

I think there is no doubt that Messi had a longer, more consistent and definitely a better career than Maradona. But El Pibe de oro bright highs and gruesome lows are by far more memorable than Messi's ones. It will always be remembered that Maradona almost signed for Marseille, nobody will remember that Messi actually played for PSG.

(on a side note, Maradona's myth greatly benefits from the fact you had to wait 4 years to see him play, when you see Messi everywhere every time...)
Last edited by Misko on Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 563 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Robbie Keane.
chim chim cheroo
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by chim chim cheroo »

Maradona :furrow:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I think Maradona was a bit overated, meself
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1821 likes
Total likes: 2421 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Messi was grown in a laboratory.
S-H
Has liked: 5727 likes
Total likes: 9642 likes

Post by S-H »

Batistuta.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Messi
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

Messi is a gifted player that looks like he has been coached, he is the better professional and the better all-round team player but for me Maradona looked like a more naturally gifted ball player, and shenanigans aside, I enjoy watching Maradona more than I do with Messi.

I'm not a (football or night) club owner, or a coach so purely on footballing terms I'll watch the flawed genius first. It's why I always liked Gazza, he was flawed but he was another naturally gifted footballer, and that injury finished him mentally and physically (aside from the odd glimpse).
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1179 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Regardless of what your answer is, the statement 'Messi isn't half the player Maradona was' is absolutely preposterous.
claretnblueglasses
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by claretnblueglasses »

Shabu wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:28 amMessi is excellent but isn't half the player Maradona was.
Can you expand further on this?
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 421 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Misko wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:50 am Maradona. He played for love, for hate, for passion, for a cause or just for cocaine, Messi plays for money. Maradona partied with mafia bosses and hookers, Messi did tax evasion. Maradona was a f*cking rock star, Messi is a greedy boy scout.

I think there is no doubt that Messi had a longer, more consistent and definitely a better career than Maradona. But El Pibe de oro bright highs and gruesome lows are by far more memorable than Messi's ones. It will always be remembered that Maradona almost signed for Marseille, nobody will remember that Messi actually played for PSG.

(on a side note, Maradona's myth greatly benefits from the fact you had to wait 4 years to see him play, when you see Messi everywhere every time...)
A cheating coke addict who partied with mafia bosses and prostitutes is somehow considered a footballing legend? I wouldn't want him anywhere near my club or country. Tevez and Balotelli were bad enough when City were a circus under Mancini. Yes, he was a sublimely talented footballer but more one that disappointed as often as he entertained.

Messi for me.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Both Argie (drug) cheats.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2409 likes
Total likes: 2620 likes

Post by sendô »

Both are (were) clearly supremely talented players, the likes of which only comes around once in a generation.

I don't see why we have to rate one above the other, given that they played in different eras, just as I don't personally think we need to rate one of Messi or Ronaldo higher than the other given they play different roles in different positions.