Maradona or Messi?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Samba
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 898 likes

Re: Maradona or Messi?

Post by Samba »

Shabu wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:10 pm :grin:
Like I said, another cheating b*stard..
Samba
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 898 likes

Post by Samba »

endofthenorthernline wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:03 pm George Best more skilful than both for me, imagine him playing on the carpets they play on today without the risk of Big Jack or Chopper Harris re arranging his lower limbs ar regular intervals along with the super light balls and soft boots of today.
GB for me.
George was up there with them, for me as well.
Outstanding player.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Samba wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:42 pm George was up there with them, for me as well.
Outstanding player.
Another vote for George Best here too. Always have said this
Shabu
Has liked: 4148 likes
Total likes: 2004 likes

Post by Shabu »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:04 pm Another vote for George Best here too. Always have said this
Separate from this but when I worked down the Kings Road in 96/97 George would spend all day in a boozer there playing pool for pints and he was just as good at that :grin:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:04 pm Another vote for George Best here too. Always have said this
Separate from this but when I worked down the Kings Road in 96/97 George would spend all day in a boozer there playing pool for pints and he was just as good at that :grin:
Tezza65
Has liked: 1926 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

Maradona for me by quite away.

Messi has skills,but Maradona done things that I never seen anybody else do.Have a look at some of him just messing around with a Football in some videos.It's different class.

He would get the ball in his own half and run with it and nobody could take the ball from him.You have to remember he played in the days,when players kicked the sh*t out of you,while Messi has been protected( and all for the better).

It has to be remembered that Maradona won the Italian League twice with an unfashionable club in Napoli,when it was the best League in world football.Messi has always played with the cream of Football too.

Ask yourself this question,who would you rather have in your team Maradona or Messi?

For me Maradona was the greatest Footballer that lived.
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by e17 »

Diego. All day every day.
e17

Post by e17 »

Anyone who loves football and wants a very quick but very very enjoyable introduction to Maradona should watch this. All 20 are absolutely phenomenal

Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2775 likes
Total likes: 602 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Maradona by a distance, ask any Argentinian and they will always say Diego.
Messi has always played for 2 top level teams surrounded by other great players, Maradona dragged Napoli to the title and without the protection from referees that players get nowadays.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

stu1 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:41 pm I’m not old enough to remember Maradona but if Messi wins the World Cup, it’s going to be an even worse 6 months for Ronaldo.

As I think a World Cup win will be a clear differentiator between the two, especially given Messi’s performances in the tournament.
I can never understand this thing that people say about having to win a world cup before you can be better than another player.

he list of great players who have never won the world cup is endless and imo whether you win the cup or not is irrelevant in a debate as to who is the greatest player.

Some pretty average players HAVE won a world cup.

look at this lot and tell me just because they didn't win the cup they are not up there with the best.

Ronaldo
Cruyff
George Best
Maldini
Zico
Platini
Puskas
Eusebio
Di Stefano
Hagi
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 151 likes
Total likes: 332 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

kayahammer wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:08 am My judgment is clouded by the hand of god nonsense.

So Messi
This in a nutshell.

Maradona is just a dirty cheating b**sted in my book.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:44 pm This in a nutshell.

Maradona is just a dirty cheating b**sted in my book.
He's a dirty cheating b@st@rd in my book too but he was still a better player then Messi (who's also a dirty cheating b@st@rd).
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2775 likes
Total likes: 602 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

All players cheat, some more blatantly than others.
Because Maradona cheated against England he’s the Antichrist, in England.
r99c
Has liked: 677 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Tezza65 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:54 pm Maradona for me by quite away.

Messi has skills,but Maradona done things that I never seen anybody else do.Have a look at some of him just messing around with a Football in some videos.It's different class.

He would get the ball in his own half and run with it and nobody could take the ball from him.You have to remember he played in the days,when players kicked the sh*t out of you,while Messi has been protected( and all for the better).

It has to be remembered that Maradona won the Italian League twice with an unfashionable club in Napoli,when it was the best League in world football.Messi has always played with the cream of Football too.

Ask yourself this question,who would you rather have in your team Maradona or Messi?

For me Maradona was the greatest Footballer that lived.
Is the correct answer.

Messi will be in extreme esteem in Argentina should they win (think and hope they will), but Maradona will remain to have literally a god-style reputation over there, whereas I'm sure Messi will still just be seen as one of the greats there but not elevate himself above Maradona.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1926 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

In my opinion,I do think Best was better than Ronaldo and Messi.Like quite a few of the greatest sportsmen,he was a maverick.
stu1
Has liked: 657 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

ageing hammer wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:11 pm I can never understand this thing that people say about having to win a world cup before you can be better than another player.

he list of great players who have never won the world cup is endless and imo whether you win the cup or not is irrelevant in a debate as to who is the greatest player.

Some pretty average players HAVE won a world cup.

look at this lot and tell me just because they didn't win the cup they are not up there with the best.

Ronaldo
Cruyff
George Best
Maldini
Zico
Platini
Puskas
Eusebio
Di Stefano
Hagi
That’s not really what I said though is it. Where did I say if you haven’t won a World Cup you aren’t up there with the best?

You’ve just made up an argument with yourself.

All I said was if Messi wins the World Cup it is a clear differentiator between him and Ronaldo, which it is. When two players have such similar careers, then one having won the World Cup matters when comparing the two (no one else).
e17

Post by e17 »

ageing hammer wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:11 pmI can never understand this thing that people say about having to win a world cup before you can be better than another player.
You would if It was your trump card growing up surrounded by goonslags and spuds.

Shouldn’t be that hard to understand at all as a supporter of a team that “won the World Cup”
e17

Post by e17 »

There was only ONE Ronaldo, and that bloke has not just won a World Cup, but won it as top scorer after not playing for 3 years.

Guessing the Portuguese Winker is the one being referenced on here!
CarltonColesLeftFoot
Has liked: 164 likes
Total likes: 287 likes

Post by CarltonColesLeftFoot »

e17 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:19 am Anyone who loves football and wants a very quick but very very enjoyable introduction to Maradona should watch this. All 20 are absolutely phenomenal

If Fabianski conceded half of those goals there'd be an outcry for Areola in goal.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 854 likes
Total likes: 561 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

CarltonColesLeftFoot wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:46 am If Fabianski conceded half of those goals there'd be an outcry for Areola in goal.
I was going to say similar.

Apart from the indirect free kick, I've seen Messi score goals at least on par with all of those and against a considerably higher quality of defending.

It's all opinion obviously and being in different eras doesn't help, but Messi for me. Only just.

Yes, he spent almost all his career at Barca at a time that their football was decimating most teams, but he was a integral part of that. I don't think they would have been nearly as successful with their tiki-taka (or whatever it's called) without Messi running the show.

I never saw Maradona live though, so there are no moments of awe watching live football that I have with Messi. But although the argument about harder tackling is there, how many of those goals in the video show defenders going in gung-ho. Most look to have given up before trying to tackle him (which is probably a better showing of the view the oposition had because of his brilliance).