⚽ Arsenal 3-1 West Ham Utd (26/12/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Re: ⚽ Arsenal vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by WCpete »

In one of his pre match interviews last week Moyes said that squad was very tired, that they had been run down by having to play so many matches second half of last season. Contextually, he said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "because we didn't bring anyone in last January the players exhausted themselves last spring." I find that a little bit galling. Obviously it is true and it has had a huge impact on performances this season, but even if behind closed doors the board refused to let him sign some players last January and forced him to tote the company line, don't bring it up now because he was emphatic, over and over again, that doing no window business was his decision and his decision alone. There's a good chance we'd not be having any of these discussions now if we had properly reinforced last January.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:04 am What does that matter? He only became a starter as Ogbonna got crocked. And our defense was far worse when he came in for Oggy.
Ogbonna was excellent last year until he got injured. But let's not rewrite history. In the past 3 seasons Dawson has played 20 more games than Oggie. In fact, in that time frame he's played more matches than any other CB at the club. Ipso facto, he is one of the starters.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

WCpete wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:18 am Ogbonna was excellent last year until he got injured. But let's not rewrite history. In the past 3 seasons Dawson has played 20 more games than Oggie. In fact, in that time frame he's played more matches than any other CB at the club. Ipso facto, he is one of the starters.
Whilst everything you say is correct, he is our 5th choice CB on a roster of 5. If he is starting, we are threadbare (or whatever the original statement was). Next stop is an untested kid.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Takeiteasy wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:08 am This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
I assume you are referring to me?
Not that I said our result was worse than Southampton's mind. But fill your boots with the offensive language anyway
Last edited by Wilko1304 on Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Prior posted and this edited to remove the language
Sarfend Hammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Sarfend Hammer »

That was terrible from start to finish. We played like a Sam Allardyce team for the first half. It was turgid on our part. We never had more than a minute of sustained pressure in the first half and they had 72% possession, our goal came against the run of play.

I can only say Dawson, Bowen and Antonio come out with any credit. Fabianski was at fault for at least one of the goals. Coufal was asleep as he played Saka onside for his goal. Cresswell was no match for Saka at any point. RIce had to bail him out. Soucek was peripheral and when he was involved he was ineffective. Rice was below par and overrun in midfield by Xhaka and Party. Paquetta had his worst game for us so far. Benrahma took a good penalty but that was about all he contributed.
I am not sure why Moyes waited until we 3-1 down before he made changes.

Having watched Southgate and his poor in game management, I now have to endure Moyes who seems even worse. By the time they had scored their first goal it was obvious that we were struggling to have any kind of foothold in the game. Did he change our shape of make any adjustments whatsoever to stem the tide of Arsenal attacks, No, he waited until we were 3-1 down to bring on Fornals. I am not a fan of changng managers, particularly one who brought us decent league positions and two good runs in Europe but that game was abyssmal and he has to take the lion's share of the blame.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

Bowen and Coufal much better for me tonight, Rice not on it mentally for me from the start. Our midfield second half was poor, but thought we were better tonight 🤷‍♂️
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I'd say around half the replies were calling him out for not leading on the pitch and for throwing his arms up when things didn't go his way.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

LeonRivers wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:25 am Whilst everything you say is correct, he is our 5th choice CB on a roster of 5. If he is starting, we are threadbare (or whatever the original statement was). Next stop is an untested kid.
5th? Behind whom? Zouma, ok. Aguerd, ok. Kehrer as CB? No. Johnson as CB? No. Oggie? Not anymore. He's our 3rd choice. And at no point in the past 3+ seasons has he been the player we needed or wanted at CB. But let's not pretend he's some bandaid (or whatever you call them in UK) we found in the back room to cover a gaping wound in the side just for the day. He's been our starting CB, from the available CB's week in week out for a long time now. He's been successful enough to be sought after by other league sides who compete at our level. And he knows the system and the players around him better than most of the other starting players in the side. Aguerd is a top player (apparently. we haven't seen him play in the side) but he's a stranger. His skill as a player does not mask his unfamiliarity with his teammates. I'm not going to argue the point any more. Saying that we were threadbare at the back today just strikes me as a bit silly given the experience we had on the pitch.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:32 am Bowen and Coufal much better for me tonight, Rice not on it mentally for me from the start. Our midfield second half was poor, but thought we were better tonight 🤷‍♂️
I agree. Arsenal have been very good so far this season and once they got their fortunate equaliser they stepped up a gear. Martinelli mugged Fab by disguising his shot to look like a cross, but that's clever play. If we'd have played at tonight's standard in some previous games we would have gained more points. The next few games are crucial. Losing to the league leaders isn't the benchmark, the next few results will be
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

WCpete wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:39 am 5th? Behind whom? Zouma, ok. Aguerd, ok. Kehrer as CB? No. Johnson as CB? No. Oggie? Not anymore. He's our 3rd choice. And at no point in the past 3+ seasons has he been the player we needed or wanted at CB. But let's not pretend he's some bandaid (or whatever you call them in UK) we found in the back room to cover a gaping wound in the side just for the day. He's been our starting CB, from the available CB's week in week out for a long time now. He's been successful enough to be sought after by other league sides who compete at our level. And he knows the system and the players around him better than most of the other starting players in the side. Aguerd is a top player (apparently. we haven't seen him play in the side) but he's a stranger. His skill as a player does not mask his unfamiliarity with his teammates. I'm not going to argue the point any more. Saying that we were threadbare at the back today just strikes me as a bit silly given the experience we had on the pitch.
I'd argue that Dawson has also been arguably our best centre back of the last two seasons. Yeah, he can get done for pace and, while people may argue that he's always got a ricket in him, guess what, so do those that we paid ten times as much for,

To be honest, I think that anyone who points fingers at any of our defenders are missing the point that whatever front six we pick at the moment is completely incapable of getting any sort of grip on the game. We seem to have completely forgotten how to play on the turn and I wouldn't trust any of our players to beat a carpet let alone an opposing defender. I'm not particularly knocking him but, when our attacking strategy is to expect Said Benrahma to pull a ****ing rabbit out of the hat in the 20 minutes when he has any sort of positive impact, then that's what straws being clutched actually looks like.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

What happened to the pressing game we had last season ? Players seem to be less fit and dropped their heads too quickly for my liking. Need a Billy Bond's type to scare the living daylights out of them and a kick up the backside.

The 2 players I'd like dropped for the Brentford game are Soucek (too slow and ponderous with literally no ball skills at all) and Pacqueta who looks more like a £10m player rather than £50m + add-ons.
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 685 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:26 am I assume you are referring to me?
Not that I said our result was worse than Southampton's mind. But fill your boots with the offensive language anyway
Eh? Who are you?
Takeiteasy

Post by Takeiteasy »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:35 am

I'd say around half the replies were calling him out for not leading on the pitch and for throwing his arms up when things didn't go his way.

He should leave. Our fan base is embarrassing. He didn’t play well today but the abuse our players get (whether they play well or not) is a joke.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Takeiteasy wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:16 am He should leave. Our fan base is embarrassing. He didn’t play well today but the abuse our players get (whether they play well or not) is a joke.
I dont think social media is really a barometer of how our fans behave in general personally.

Frankly, it's a poison on our society.
Takeiteasy

Post by Takeiteasy »

sendô wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:26 am I dont think social media is really a barometer of how our fans behave in general personally.

Frankly, it's a poison on our society.
Agreed. Twitter, in particular, is a cesspit.

I wasn’t at the match today so perhaps it was different in the stands.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

I wish the World Cup was still on..
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

No denying twitter is brain mush, but Rice's constant arm throwing was incredibly poor from a perceived leader. Especially when it was his own mistake causing us to lose possession. He had an excellent first half, one of his best, but he stunk the place out like the rest of them in the second.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Disappointing result and second half performance

In the first half we looked organized and for all Arsenals dominance in attacking areas they didnt have many real chances

As soon as the first went in (a huge slice of luck with some switched off defending) we crumbled... we lost our shape and lacked leadership on the pitch

We need something to give right now
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

It's not the defence that's the biggest problem (IMO). We carry practically no threat whatsoever going forward from open play.
We make the opposition look solid at the back, whether they are or not. Iron Mike isn't the player he, was, sadly, and as good as the defence was in the first half, it was a big shout to last out the whole game. Once the first flukey effort went in, the way the defence crumbled indicates to me just how much confidence there is running through the dressing room(ie none).
In the same way he takes credit for the situation 18 months ago, DG, IMO, has to do the same for the current situation.
He has to stay on, the time to change was 6weeks ago, it's too late now.
We blew our home up for this sh*t.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Confidence is low. Not just this game, the results in general. The dodgy decisions against us, missed pens, etc, and draws turning into defeats have all contributed to our league position.

It's unacceptable and the players need to be tougher mentally. As soon as Arsenal scored it didn't take long for the second. We need to be tougher.

Bowen looked the most dangerous player for us.
Benrahma was partly to blame for his lack of pace on ball with the pass to Rice for one of the goals.
Antonio didn't have the worst game.
Fabianski awful for the second goal and has to be dropped.
Kehrer is not a CB in a back four at this level. Would try him in a 3.