England Rugby/Six nations 2023

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1566 likes

England Rugby/Six nations 2023

Post by alf git »

A new thread to draw a line under the Jones tenure.

Steve Borthwick becomes the mens head coach signing a five year deal.
Kevin Sinfield becomes defence coach

https://www.englandrugby.com/news/artic ... head-coach

I don't really follow domestic rugby so don't know whether this is a good appointment or not. I did say in the other thread that we should have given someone a contract for the World Cup and then considered the options.
Time will tell i guess.
🌹
Last edited by alf git on Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Re: England Rugby Union 2023

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Shot Clock to used from January 1st
A countdown timer on scrums and kicks at goal will be introduced in January to help speed up the game, says World Rugby.

The 'shot clock' means players will have 90 seconds to take a conversion and a minute for penalties, or the kick will be disallowed.

New rules also state scrums have to be started within 30 seconds and line-outs formed without delay, with penalty kicks to be given for timewasting.

The rules come into place on 1 January.

A clock for kicks at goal is already in operation in France's Top 14.

World Rugby's director of rugby, Phil Davies, said: "World Rugby, member unions and competitions will work with broadcasters and match hosts to implement on-screen (stadia and broadcast) shot clocks for penalties and conversions to ensure referees, players and fans can view the countdown, mirroring what happens in the LNR (French national league) and sevens."

World Rugby hopes the changes will improve the flow of the game and reduce the reliance on Television Match Official reviews, which add to stoppages in the action.

Water carriers will also only be permitted to enter the field of play when a try is scored.

"Only in a game with no tries, should a natural stoppage be used," added Davies.
Excellent idea, which will hopefully stop the extended team meetings before lineouts and some kickers taking forever.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2190 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

So now he's in place, I reckon some big calls for Borthwick to make:

10/12 combo
Captain (possiblyinfluenced by above?)
Back row

For me:
Smith/Kelly
Lawes
Lawes/Curry/Dombrandt....although wouldn't be disappointed to see Willis in there

Thoughts??
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Some really tough calls to make. The key one will be what sort of backline he wants to operate with. Smith plus Farrell doesn't work so it has to be one or the other there. Kelly is likely to get a chance at 12. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ford back in the fold either once he returns to fitness. Steward is nailed on at 15 but the wing slots should be up for grabs. I'm a great fan of Nowell but his days as an international winger are over. Watson is looking good for Leicester plus you've got Murley, Radwan, Hassell Collins, Daly and Freeman all in contention. Plus Johnny May of course.

Back row is a very tough call. Billy V looked pretty ineffectual in the November tests while Dombrandt offers something different with his intelligent running lines and decent pace. Willis is a top notch player and I think his sabbatical in Toulouse will do him the world of good. Lawes needs to be in and around the squad for me. A real titan of a leader and a far better captain IMO than Farrell. I don't want to see Mako Vunipola in the squad again. His scrummaging is so weak these days and his carrying isn't up to the standards of yesteryear. I'd hope Marler will come back as there isn't a better scrummaging loosehead. Genge, of course will be heavily involved. George and LCD will be the hookers. Need a nasty lump in the second row. Ribbans did well in the Autumn and I'd expect Chessum to be back in after some very strong performances in Oz.

It was clear that after a great start, Eddie's mind had gone too far towards 'outwitting' the rest of the world. All it seemed to do is upset coaches and a fair few players. The way he treated the 6 nations was pretty unforgivable - totally unacceptable to use it as some kind of development opportunity. The one time he could've justifiably done it - 2021 when the Sarries players were out of shape because of the relegation, he picked them all anyway and nothing really was gained.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Jones appointed Australia head coach
Former England boss Eddie Jones has been appointed Australia head coach, replacing the sacked Dave Rennie.

Jones, who previously coached the Wallabies from 2001 to 2005, has signed a five-year deal through to 2027.

The 62-year-old was dismissed by England in December after seven years in the role.

He will start with Australia at the end of January, with his contract covering two World Cups and the British and Irish Lions tour in 2025.

"It is a wonderful opportunity for me to be able to come home to Australia and lead my nation to a Rugby World Cup," said Jones.

"It is going to be an immense period for Australian rugby - as a proud Australian, it is a great honour to be able to come home and lead the national team during these years.

"The Wallabies squad is a really talented group of players with good depth - if we can have everyone fit and healthy going into the World Cup this year, I am confident that we can go to France and break the 24-year drought of winning the Rugby World Cup."

more...
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Vunipola, May and Nowell left out of 6 Nations squad
Number eight Billy Vunipola has been left out of new head coach Steve Borthwick's 36-man England squad for the Six Nations.

Other high-profile omissions include experienced wings Jonny May and Jack Nowell.

Meanwhile Borthwick has recalled 95-cap veteran prop Dan Cole, 35, who last played for England in the 2019 Rugby World Cup final.

Northampton fly-half Fin Smith is one of five uncapped players in the squad.

London Irish wing Ollie Hassell-Collins, Gloucester hooker George McGuigan, and Harlequins pair Cadan Murley and Jack Walker are the four other new caps.

"This is an exciting squad, with a blend of Six Nations experience and young talent, and includes players who are in excellent form in the Premiership," Borthwick said.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2190 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Interesting re EJ....the women's team also fall under his remit apparently (Wallaroos?)

Good squad that from SB....like the pace in there. Also like the coaching appointments so far - Nick Evans will be a breath of fresh air hopefully. Just need a bit of patience now...
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Typically smart of the England set up to sack jones with a big old pay-off, but no clause preventing him from coaching one of England's main rivals at the next world cup.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:52 pm Typically smart of the England set up to sack jones with a big old pay-off, but no clause preventing him from coaching one of England's main rivals at the next world cup.
Perhaps England want Jones coaching the Aussies :twisted:
alf git

Post by alf git »

Possibly explains why Jones' head hasn't been fully in the game since the world cup.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

I've just managed to wangle hospitality tickets for England vs Scollan at Twickers Saturday week. :newthumb:
alf git

Post by alf git »

Nice.
alf git

Post by alf git »

RFU face potential vote of no confidence over new tackle rules.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... -to-follow
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

sendô wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:25 pm I've just managed to wangle hospitality tickets for England vs Scollan at Twickers Saturday week. :newthumb:
Nice One.
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

Team against the sweats;

15. Freddie Steward, 14. Max Malins, 13. Joe Marchant, 12. Owen Farrell (C), 11. Ollie Hassell-Collins, 10. Marcus Smith, 9. Jack van Poortvliet

1. Ellis Genge (VC)
2. Jamie George
3. Kyle Sinckler

4. Maro Itoje
5. Ollie Chessum

6. Lewis Ludlam
7. Ben Curry
8. Alex Dombrandt

Replacements

16. Jack Walker
17. Mako Vunipola
18. Dan Cole
19. Nick Isiekwe
20. Ben Earl
21. Ben Youngs
22. Ollie Lawrence
23. Anthony Watson
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Ireland looking good, Wales conceding a ridiculous number of penalties.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

This Doddie Weir tribute is both touching and upsetting.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Nice try by the scotch just then. England sloppy with the high pen count & sluggish midfield.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Cracking try by England in response.

Ireland looked very good earlier.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »