Mayor of London 2024

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Mayor of London 2024

Post by mumbles87 »

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ ... 48392.html

I'm in a bit of shock, surprised he has been selected for a 3rd term.

I don't mind khan but he is a bit of a wet fish .. not as bad as some make out but he isn't amazing

Proper middle of road

But what's even more shocking is this bit ...

"It’s going to be a very tough election – the first using a first past the post voting system in London"

Why on earth are we moving to a less fair electon system?
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2018 likes

Re: Mayor of London 2024

Post by Shabu »

What's the election system?

First one to X amount of votes is the winner?
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

Even with the lack of support for ULEZ he will most likely still win.

The Tories have no one in London to take him on, given at every election they do worse in London as well. The only way they could put up a strong campaign is being anti ULEZ however it isn't a vote winning more as there are more non- drivers/ car owners in London than those that own cars. They are also likely to try and run it as a campaign to win support from outside London

Lib dems have a real chance to come 2nd if they put someone decent up. However they will not go against many of the green items like ULEZ. The same with the Greens.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Prob wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:44 pm Even with the lack of support for ULEZ he will most likely still win.

The Tories have no one in London to take him on, given at every election they do worse in London as well. The only way they could put up a strong campaign is being anti ULEZ however it isn't a vote winning more as there are more non- drivers/ car owners in London than those that own cars. They are also likely to try and run it as a campaign to win support from outside London

Lib dems have a real chance to come 2nd if they put someone decent up. However they will not go against many of the green items like ULEZ. The same with the Greens.
If they go anti ulez (which they forced in as part of bail out for tfl) they would be anti environment aswell

Will labour win first past post as opposed to system ATM?
YGNB
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by YGNB »

The conservatives changed the elections to an unfairer system to give themselves a better chance in London (why else)

Ulez is a non issue for 95+% of Londoners and by the time of the election will be 99%
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Khan will romp home, and with Starmer in No10, London can look forward to its policing budget being restored and a reduction in crime.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:28 pm Khan will romp home, and with Starmer in No10, London can look forward to its policing budget being restored and a reduction in crime.
And no cars, of course.

Still with the goodwill of the sainted RMT and the wondrous train service Khan will still have a city to mayor over.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:54 pm And no cars, of course.

Still with the goodwill of the sainted RMT and the wondrous train service Khan will still have a city to mayor over.
Come on that's complete tosh. Ulez affects 15% of cars in London

The roads are still rammed in London and north circular

Low traffic neighbourhoods have proven to actually ease traffic and not cause the effect people were accusing them of

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/241731/ ... reets/amp/
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

The race to see who will put more taxes on Londoners for the next four years.

This doesn't really affect me anymore now that I'm out in leafy Essex. My old man (72, semi retired) is going to have to sell his van that he uses for work 1 day a week. Well, I say sell. He wont get anything for it, so will likely scrap it.

It doesn't matter who is in charge, the working classes will still get ****ed.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I'm not sure why the role of Mayor or the GLA even exists.

I don't see why there can't just be a 'parliament' of council leads with the biggest party nominating a lead as the 'mayor'.

The role of Mayor seem to be "jobs for the boys" to me, filled by political duds at national level.

Likewise, I can't see why there is a Welsh or Scottish devolved assembly additional to the MPs that already exist. Let the elected MPs form the parliament.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

mumbles87 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:23 pm Come on that's complete tosh. Ulez affects 15% of cars in London

The roads are still rammed in London and north circular

Low traffic neighbourhoods have proven to actually ease traffic and not cause the effect people were accusing them of

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/241731/ ... reets/amp/
The roads are congested deliberately by moronic road planning decisions, all mayors and their TfL underlings have been guilty of it. Let's start with Livingston, as well as adding traffic lights all over the gaff he also twatted about with the phasing to make his congestion charge seem more necessary:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 79564.html

BJ came in on a promise to remove a load of Livingston's nugatory traffic lights but didn't, instead he added to the congestion with the cycle superhighways (which in itself was a good idea, it was just badly implemented).

Khan is just blindly following the same anti motorist mantra because he's too weak/gormless to do anything different.

As for this report? Strange they chose Islington, especially after this other report from earlier in the year:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/council-apol ... pollution/

The imperial one was only carried looking at 3 LTN's :lol: , it proves f*** all. Actually it proves less than f*** all as I suspect those 3 LTN's were not chosen entirely at random. In the report it states this proves that LTN's reduce pollution, once these assumptions are quoted as fact and then used to steer decision making by road planners/councils/Traffic for London etc these Mickey Mouse studies transition from the ridiculous to the dangerous.
It stands to reason each LTN will have a differing impact on the surrounding area, the one they've recently introduced on what was my usual way home has certainly caused an increase in congestion on the only other alternative road and added 10 minutes to my journey, that's 10 more minutes of exhaust emissions that wasn't happening before it's introduction, times that by the hundreds (if not thousands of other vehicle being made to detour due to this abomination) then of course there's an increase in pollution. As other studies have found:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -pollution

We've had three mayors, we'd have been better off if the shitwitted egotistical skin flutes had taken TfL with them whilst they just ****ed off.......
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

I hadn’t realised it had been switched to first past the post. Previously most of the second preference votes of Lib Dem and Green voters would go Labour’s way.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I look forward to seeing Khan self-combust when Labour win the next election and he realises he can no longer blame the government for his failures. “The government will have to pay for it…. oh f*ck, the government is the party I work for!”

It’s always everyone’s fault but his.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

sendô wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:54 pm The race to see who will put more taxes on Londoners for the next four years.

This doesn't really affect me anymore now that I'm out in leafy Essex. My old man (72, semi retired) is going to have to sell his van that he uses for work 1 day a week. Well, I say sell. He wont get anything for it, so will likely scrap it.

It doesn't matter who is in charge, the working classes will still get ****ed.
Does he still have to work at 72, or is he choosing to?
Agree with you about the working classes though- sadly plenty of them are complicit in their own shafting.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

funky chicken wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:57 am I look forward to seeing Khan self-combust when Labour win the next election and he realises he can no longer blame the government for his failures. “The government will have to pay for it…. oh f*ck, the government is the party I work for!”

It’s always everyone’s fault but his.
You know fine well that if the Tories had a Tory mayor in London ( and a white one at that) there'd have been none of the nonsense Khan has had to put up with.

But thankfully Johnson's two terms have ( hopefully ) put paid to any chance of a Tory mayor for the foreseeable.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 942 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

ironsonthebrain wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:55 pm Does he still have to work at 72, or is he choosing to?
Does it matter? Serious question. :newthumb:
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Khan is a bit of an empty suit but is pretty inoffensive. Do struggle to see the point of the position these days though, just a figurehead for the city really.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

ironsonthebrain wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:58 pm You know fine well that if the Tories had a Tory mayor in London ( and a white one at that) there'd have been none of the nonsense Khan has had to put up with.

But thankfully Johnson's two terms have ( hopefully ) put paid to any chance of a Tory mayor for the foreseeable.
Very true. They said as much if bailey got in they would get all the funding for the city needed
YGNB
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by YGNB »

To be honest I think having a London mayor and a national government suit them both. The government can force Khan to do things and then complain about them and Khan can blame the government. Re ulez
The letter from Transport Secretary Grant Shapps to Khan, dated 14 May but unpublished until this week, notes that the (funding) deal is conditional on “the immediate reintroduction of the London Congestion Charge, LEZ and ULEZ and urgently bring[ing] forward proposals to widen the scope and levels of these charges”
Of course the next big complaint will be when the mayor announces road pricing (with the governments 'encouragement')

The same happens with housing of course. The latest London plan was finally approved by the government last year but the housing secretary said that not enough houses were being built in London and he needed to do more.

Then you have ridiculous situations like in Romford where the conservative councils own flagship new housing development plan on Waterloo road was blamed by them on the mayor despite being wholly designed, funded and approved by themselves.

Ever feel like you're being taken for a ride?
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

YGNB wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:32 pm To be honest I think having a London mayor and a national government suit them both. The government can force Khan to do things and then complain about them and Khan can blame the government. Re ulez

Of course the next big complaint will be when the mayor announces road pricing (with the governments 'encouragement')

The same happens with housing of course. The latest London plan was finally approved by the government last year but the housing secretary said that not enough houses were being built in London and he needed to do more.

Then you have ridiculous situations like in Romford where the conservative councils own flagship new housing development plan on Waterloo road was blamed by them on the mayor despite being wholly designed, funded and approved by themselves.

Ever feel like you're being taken for a ride?
Or when rosendale wants Romford out of London but in the next breath demands the mayor funds the gallows corner fly over repairs immediately

Tfl get 300 million a year from dft to maintain the roads, it costs 600 million

So that comes out the mayors budget

Yet when he says right I want to keep the tax that cars pay that are registered in London then .. oh no can't do that

Right road tolls for every non London car ... You can't do that it's unfair

Well play the game and stop taking London's money out of London without first covering London's costs