Mayor of London 2024

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 445 likes

Re: Mayor of London 2024

Post by btajim - mcfc »

ironsonthebrain wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:58 pm You know fine well that if the Tories had a Tory mayor in London ( and a white one at that) there'd have been none of the nonsense Khan has had to put up with.

But thankfully Johnson's two terms have ( hopefully ) put paid to any chance of a Tory mayor for the foreseeable.
This is an awful take. Johnson was a great London mayor and the current Tory PM isn’t white.

I can only assume you have a very dry sense of humour.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:29 pm This is an awful take. Johnson was a great London mayor and the current Tory PM isn’t white.

I can only assume you have a very dry sense of humour.
A great mayor? What planet are you on?

He was a terrible mayor

Boris bikes, Boris buses .. all ordered by Ken

How much did he spend on a garden bridge that was never built?

Water cannons which were proved illegal and never used

Left tfl 1.5 billion in debt

Elected on the promise of no ticket office closures.. closed the lot as mayor

How many fire stations did he close? And fire engines he got rid of?

How on earth was he remotely good?

He was awful
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 494 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:46 pm A great mayor? What planet are you on?

He was a terrible mayor

Boris bikes, Boris buses .. all ordered by Ken

How much did he spend on a garden bridge that was never built?

Water cannons which were proved illegal and never used

Left tfl 1.5 billion in debt

Elected on the promise of no ticket office closures.. closed the lot as mayor

How many fire stations did he close? And fire engines he got rid of?

How on earth was he remotely good?

He was awful
And a Tory to boot Mumbles. Should have been drowned at birth.

Blimey mate, your hatred knows no bounds, does it?
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:15 pm And a Tory to boot Mumbles. Should have been drowned at birth.

Those are all factual events. How can you put a positive spin on a single one of them?

Cutting fire engines and closing fire stations. Risks life's

The wasting of public money on garden bridge (100 million) plus the canons .. criminal waste of tax payers money

The name stuff could be put down to just taking credit for other people's work.

But promising directly one thing then doing another?

Khan said he will freeze fares and he did. It was a bad policy .. terrible but he stuck to it

Sorry but anyone who thinks Boris was anything more than a disaster as mayor needs to look at his actual record.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:28 pm Khan will romp home, and with Starmer in No10, London can look forward to its policing budget being restored and a reduction in crime.
Unrivalled wit, Pinky.
YGNB
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by YGNB »

Boris was a great mayor in the same way he was a great PM in the same way that West ham are having a great season
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:15 pm And a Tory to boot Mumbles. Should have been drowned at birth.

What part of his post is wrong?
OFT
Has liked: 3188 likes
Total likes: 1830 likes

Post by OFT »

I know you say you don't vote Tory Pete, and I'm not doubting that, but you do seem extremely defensive of them and even as a non londonder I'm well aware of The Boris record as mayor and it wasn't good.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 494 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

OFT wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:13 pm I know you say you don't vote Tory Pete, and I'm not doubting that, but you do seem extremely defensive of them and even as a non londonder I'm well aware of The Boris record as mayor and it wasn't good.
I don't vote Tory OFT, and I don't believe I'm defensive with regards to them either as a party or individuals. I just find the bile and hatred directed by some posters towards the Tories a bit much, and if I'm honest, a bit scary.

Like it or not, they are in power, and despite my belief that they will be beaten by Labour at the next election there's still a good chance they will win, or hold the balance of power. When some are condemning anyone who votes Conservative as idiotic, they are condemning a significant proportion of the population as idiots with no shame or scruples.

Each to their own I guess. I happen to think Starmer stands a reasonable chance of being a decent PM provided he doesn't capitulate to the unions and the left wing of his party. I also think Corbyn, Abbott and their ilk would have been a disaster. But whilst I might mock the (in my opinion) idiocy of people who vote/ voted for them, I respect their right to a platform and to let them express their views. Otherwise there but for the grace of God we get more hatred, and potentially more Jo Cox / David Amess type tragedies.

As for London Mayor? I don't live in London, but I worked in the city for 40 years. I don't think there has been a decent mayor probably since Whittington - certainly not Johnson or Livingstone, and most definitely not Khan.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Khan always seems angry about something or other. Little bloke syndrome?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2706 likes

Post by sendô »

ironsonthebrain wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:55 pm Does he still have to work at 72, or is he choosing to?
Well, he only gets the basic state pension despite working non stop from age 15 because apparently he "missed some stamps" at some point or other, so wasn't eligible for the additional state pension. The difference is from £141.85 to £185.90. Bit of a **** for someone who has grafted for 50 years, paid his fair share of taxes and raised two handsome nippers on his meagre wages. Like I said, the working classes always get ****ed.

As to your question, well yes and no. Working for him I think is as much about getting out of the house, following his old routines, seeing the people he has always seen as part of his work routine, and getting a bit of extra cash in his pocket. Luckily for him (luckily!) my mum still works 3 days a week, and of course their mortgage is paid off.

Not that it should really matter of course.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Didn't realise you had 2 brothers Sendo..
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4380 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

It defies belief that they can't find someone better than Khan to do the job.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:42 pm It defies belief that they can't find someone better than Khan to do the job.
If the tories would put up a worthwhile candidate then maybe people would vote for them.
Baron Von Marlon
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Baron Von Marlon »

For the good of the City, a labour candidate who isn't Khan would be my preference.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Khan just says the same nonsense whenever he is questioned over anything: “the government really need to pay for it.” “The government really need to look into it.” etc. etc. It’s his get out of jail card for every bit of scrutiny he is under.

It would be hilarious if his party won the next election just to see him squirm and try to see who he can blame then.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

sendô wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:48 pm Well, he only gets the basic state pension despite working non stop from age 15 because apparently he "missed some stamps" at some point or other, so wasn't eligible for the additional state pension. The difference is from £141.85 to £185.90. Bit of a **** for someone who has grafted for 50 years, paid his fair share of taxes and raised two handsome nippers on his meagre wages. Like I said, the working classes always get ****ed.
It's stuff like this that makes me angry. You work your entire life and what do you have to show for it? More work.
delbert
Has liked: 719 likes
Total likes: 699 likes

Post by delbert »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:40 pm Khan always seems angry about something or other. Little bloke syndrome?
It's amazing so much ego can fit into such a minuscule package.......
Big George
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by Big George »

I'm a big beiever in term limits for Mayoral posts. (I'm not a great fan of executive mayors anyway but still....)
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Big George wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:30 pm I'm a big beiever in term limits for Mayoral posts. (I'm not a great fan of executive mayors anyway but still....)
Term limits and upper age limits for all elected positions would be a positive move :newthumb: