⚽ West Ham Utd 0-2 Brentford (30/12/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Station to Station
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Re: West Ham United v Brentford: Match Thread

Post by Station to Station »

The combined age of our back three tonight was 99 years old -  older than some back fours,  and it showed.They still moved better than Scamacca though.

You'd think from our gameplan that our fullbacks are our best players. I lost count of the spooned crosses, runs to nowhere and breakdown of possession out wide.

Opposition teams know we dont play through the middle and hunt in packs wide on the flanks. It is the only place we try to play and It takes our two marquee summer signings out of the game whilst nullifying Bowen and Benrahma.

We signed technicians in the summer but we needed some athletes.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Paquetta and Rice started the game well.

2-0 down, heading for a 5th straight defeat, things are just getting worse for everyone on the pitch. Opposition are comfortable, shut up shop, forcing the error and game plan being executed to perfection.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

roblo wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:01 am For 20 minutes at the end of the first half Paqueta looked like he was purposefully playing badly to get taken off
Very reminisscent of Diamantis home bebut in that sense.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Station to Station wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:11 am The combined age of our back three tonight was 99 years old -  older than some back fours,  and it showed.They still moved better than Scamacca though.
:crylol:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

That was shocking tonight. Thoroughly disappointing. Really wish I hadn’t bothered.
Doctor Mopp
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Doctor Mopp »

Georgee Paris wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:15 am That was shocking tonight. Thoroughly disappointing. Really wish I hadn’t bothered.
I thought that, but I've just seen Moyes's interview on BBC and apparently we played really well and you can't fault the players for effort :shock:
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

What planet is moyes on ? Playing well ?
We were a bit unlucky first half as we played some good stuff but that second half was awful

We are so slow and deliberate it's easy to counter us.

Why does fabianski take ages to release the ball

Only rice and Dawson played well tonight

Leeds eill be his last game
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Up the Junction wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:19 pm If that were his only notable contribution you might have a point. Yet you refrain from mentioning the two very good tackles he put in that prevented shots/more goals. Or that anyone else could possibly have been at fault for that goal - like Paqueta kicking the ball into touch that led to the throw or anyone picking Toney up.
That piece of defending for their 2nd outweighs anything he might have done good in the game, granted Paqueta can take a bit of the blame for the terrible pass. But on a whole I thought Cresswell put in a disgraceful performance tonight, I can’t remember him having many poorer games than tonight.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

We should of signed a left back instead we wasted 15m on Emerson who is another waste of space
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

costa75 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:57 pm I suspect you are one of those that get razzle dazzled by the yellow shirts of Brasil. He was bang average in the world cup, and by their standards they are a bang average brasil team. Moyes may not be getting the best out of him, but that is no excuse for him losing the ball or always giving it away. He was woeful tonight.
Bang average Brasil side. Yep, we were definitely watching a different World Cup.. :crylol:
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

The pass by Paqueta was fine, go and watch it, Benraham left it thinking it was meant for Emerson
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

Colours never run wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:46 am Bang average Brasil side. Yep, we were definitely watching a different World Cup.. :crylol:
You have definitely been razzle dazzled by those dancing Brasilians. 😂😂😂😂😂
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Knew before we kicked a ball we’d lose and tbh it was another humiliation. Not by the scoreline but the fact brentford simply did the basics well and we are utterly appalling tactically. Just kept playing it a crescent from one full back to the other via central defence and rice and by which time brentford had got all of their defenders back.
No point in digging out individuals, it is the managers fault.
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

To be honest I though we looked better that we have in ages at the start. Even when they scored we still didn't let our heads drop. The second goal killed the game off though. We never looked like scoring unfortunately and had absolutely no idea how to break through them.
I just don't see where we go from here to be honest.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

costa75 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:02 am You have definitely been razzle dazzled by those dancing Brasilians. 😂😂😂😂😂
Sorry CNR, agree with Costa.

He wasn't 'outstanding' in any way, shape or form, just did the basics. I personally surprised he makes the Brazil 1st X1.

5 months of bad pass, misplaced passes, tippy tappy, sideward pass, fall over, bad challenges.....he has been utterly pitiful.

But let's remember his pass to Scamacca & that control of the football with the outside of his foot vs 2nd rate opponents in Conference group stages.

We got utterly mugged. Thinking back to it didn't you think it strange CNR that we were the ONLY Prem club after this 'superstar' Brazilian playmaker? Good marketing, a crafty agent, we've ended up near 50m out of pocket. 😑

He'll never cut it in the Premiership.
Daytonahammer
Has liked: 103 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Daytonahammer »

I turned it off at about the 70th minute and went to the park with the kids. I don't think we played terrible first half, second half was whatever. But any of that was canceled out by simple changes by Brentford manager. I don't understand Moyes not starting Pablo who, other than rice is the motor of the team. I suppose we tried to play aggressively today and get higher up the pitch, so can't fault Moyes for that, it's just that we don't have players or the tactical nous for all that b*llox.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:13 am

He wasn't 'outstanding' in any way, shape or form, just did the basics. I personally surprised he makes the Brazil 1st X1.
Don't put words in my mouth but he was decent in the World Cup and he's deservedly been 1 of their mainstays in the national side. Anyway, for the Paqueta thread..
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

I’ve only read a few comments so I don’t really know what has been said about Cresswell but I’d like to think that will be the last time I ever see him starting a game ever again. He’s weak and seems unable to look up when he’s pumping yet another aimless cross into the opposition’s penalty area.
Unfortunately I think I’m going to be disappointed.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

We don't move the ball quick enough when we have possession and the opposition defence has enough time to have a smoke break as well as completely reorganize. Fornals is the only player we have who can hit the quick, first time ball and Moyes alone knows why he isn't in the team.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:07 pm Weird thing is the guy who heads across goal seemed offside. Can you not be offside from a throw in?
The man who thinks he knows everything about football doesn’t even know the simplest of rules.
Why am I not surprised?