⚽ West Ham Utd 0-2 Brentford (30/12/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Re: West Ham United v Brentford: Match Thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:57 pm

So who is providing the width in this setup?

If he supposedly created all the best opportunities last night despite not playing in his correct position, they must have passed me by. We created 5 shots on target, one was a long ranger from Scamacca and another a header from Dawson. It's not a lot, but then it usually it never is from him.
The full backs or wingbacks can provide the width. If we played through the centre q bit more we wouldn't need to have width all the time
woody
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by woody »

I don’t think we played bad myself first half but too many individual errors are costing us still big time ,

The one thing that puzzles me though is how the f*** fornails can’t get in the team , he isnit the answer to everything but atleast he’s going to be here there and everywhere for 90 minutes
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

Caught a replay of the second goal where Cresswell was absolutely annihilated in a 1 v 1 match up. That was scary. Was literally a man against a boy they way he was rag dolled out the way.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

woody wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:19 pm
The one thing that puzzles me though is how the **** fornails can’t get in the team , he isnit the answer to everything but atleast he’s going to be here there and everywhere for 90 minutes
I've been wondering the same.

Was a Moyes favourite not so long ago, now he doesn't get a look in.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

We were giving them all sorts of problems until their second goal and a halftime lead would not have been an unfair reflection of the action. But they were clinical and Frank seemed to tweak things at halftime.

That said, if we can play like we did in the first half and actually take some chances we should spark Leeds.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:56 pm We were giving them all sorts of problems until their second goal and a halftime lead would not have been an unfair reflection of the action. But they were clinical and Frank seemed to tweak things at halftime.

That said, if we can play like we did in the first half and actually take some chances we should spark Leeds.
There's some truth in what you say. I watched the ManU game today and in the first half I could have sworn I was watching West Ham. Difference is in the 2nd half they brought on Rashford who scored a good individual goal. Of course they also didn't concede two sloppy goals, although De Gea mad a reflex save at the end that could have fallen to anyone, but fell to a united player.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I don’t know why there’s so much doom and gloom. According to Match of the Day, we drew with Man City last night!

Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 685 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:30 am I don’t know why there’s so much doom and gloom. According to Match of the Day, we drew with Man City last night!

MOTD in general were quite upbeat about us, suggesting we were very unlucky not to be ahead at half time and that if we can get a bit of luck, plus the return of Aguerd and/or Zouma, we will be fine.

There’s perhaps an element of truth in that, although I think our problems run deeper than that. We really ran out of ideas early doors and whilst Franks tweaked things for his side, Moyes either didn’t or his tweaks made little difference.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Takeiteasy wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:08 am MOTD in general were quite upbeat about us, suggesting we were very unlucky not to be ahead at half time and that if we can get a bit of luck, plus the return of Aguerd and/or Zouma, we will be fine.

There’s perhaps an element of truth in that, although I think our problems run deeper than that. We really ran out of ideas early doors and whilst Franks tweaked things for his side, Moyes either didn’t or his tweaks made little difference.
the advantage of being a good old boy like moyes is that you'll always have the pundit "be careful what you wish for" rentamouths like danny murphy fighing your corner (as they did with allardyce).
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Takeiteasy wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:08 am MOTD in general were quite upbeat about us, suggesting we were very unlucky not to be ahead at half time and that if we can get a bit of luck, plus the return of Aguerd and/or Zouma, we will be fine.

Every sub we made, made us look worse, which is worrying.
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

Doesn't help when Fabianski should be booked for time wasting when his team are losing...gets the ball and has not got a clue what to do with it.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Things will hopefully improve once Zouma comes back and if Aguerd can bring his international form to the prem.

However that won't sort out our issues of not scoring enough goals with Antonio nowhere near his old self and Scamacca glued to the spot.
westhamlinnet
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by westhamlinnet »

I can see the benefit of two wing backs however coufal is an average right back and spoor wing back his crossing is appalling.When he crosses I don’t bother looking as I know it is pointless. We lack pace all over the pitch surely Harrison Ashby who is quick would be worth a go at rwb
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

billtho wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:32 pm Doesn't help when Fabianski should be booked for time wasting when his team are losing...gets the ball and has not got a clue what to do with it.
Ditto Coufal with throw-ins.
williamgb
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by williamgb »

Vic_Watson wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:10 pm Ditto Coufal with throw-ins.
Still gets his throw-ins in play faster than Cresswell does.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Our throw-ins have been shocking for a few seasons and I don't understand why DM and the coaches haven't fixed that problem. We can't find a player free and seem to continually give the ball away. One positive thing is we played better than Spuds today who thought they'd win by just turning up.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Humbug wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:22 pm Our throw-ins have been shocking for a few seasons and I don't understand why DM and the coaches haven't fixed that problem. We can't find a player free and seem to continually give the ball away. One positive thing is we played better than Spuds today who thought they'd win by just turning up.
There's never any movement. How often do you see Coufal gesturing in frustration because all he can see is opposition shirts?
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

billtho wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:32 pm Doesn't help when Fabianski should be booked for time wasting when his team are losing...gets the ball and has not got a clue what to do with it.
I did mention it my match comments. I agree. To be fair to Fabianski he has done pretty well this season and doesnt deserve to be dropped due to his general goalkeeping, but I would strongly think about swapping in Areola to try and speed up our passages of play and transition. If we are endeavouring to improve our overall 'play' then we have to start with the goal keeper.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Diogenes wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:57 pm I did mention it my match comments. I agree. To be fair to Fabianski he has done pretty well this season and doesnt deserve to be dropped due to his general goalkeeping, but I would strongly think about swapping in Areola to try and speed up our passages of play and transition. If we are endeavouring to improve our overall 'play' then we have to start with the goal keeper.
Agree, bit harsh on Fab but a couple of recent goals against have been poor, the most important aspect as you’ve said is speed of distribution. We allow our opposition vital time to reorganise while Fab decides where he’s going, the top keepers now move the ball quickly and accurately, Areola far better at that and there’s very little between them as shot stoppers. If we are “ transitioning” to a more positive passing style it’s another step.
Beavis Danzig
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Fabianski gave Moyes the perfect excuse to drop him after Arsenal, he won't drop him after a faultless showing against Brentford despite his pedestrian distribution.