England Mens Cricket 2023

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Re: England Mens Cricket 2023

Post by steps »

Back to the game.

Rashid 4-45. You beauty!
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Curran 4-29
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

kenthammer wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:34 pm Curran 4-29
His spot in the WC team well and truly nailed down.

I’d have him back in the Test team too at the expense of Crawley.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

kenthammer wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:34 pm Curran 4-29
He has become some player, not too shabby with the bat either.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

He's only 24 as well.

I had some concerns toward the end of our innings as the pitch seemed to suit batting, but that was proven very wrong! :smiler:

Well played (again) England.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Curran is developing into some player.

As for Vaughan, he has made himself a bit of a tool in his post playing days.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

steps wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:44 am Who cares about gammon Vaughan, Rashid should be concentrating on playing cricket in Bangladesh not having to give video evidence.

I thought his name was Michael Vaughan.

Whats this gammon thingy.....a nickname? :eh:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

smuts wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:31 pm

As for Vaughan, he has made himself a bit of a tool in his post playing days.
Crickets Gary Neville.
ironside58
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by ironside58 »

smuts wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:00 pm Blew up in their faces though as the ever "lovable" Nathan Lyon took 8 for 64.
Backed up by other 2 spinners. Think England's best chance in the ashes is to prepare tracks that won't spin much and leave leach out. Curran can come back as the all rounder. Gives more credence on Bairstow back instead of Foakes, though this would be harsh on Foakes. Need to see Bairstow back scoring runs to bring him back either in duel role or just as a batsman.

The 11 for the first test will be interesting.

Lots of pundits saying Archer in for Broad and complete uncertainty re the openers. Have seen all of the following picked instead of Crawley. Stokes, Root, Pope, Bairstow, Hameed, Vince, Pope.

The weird thing is if he was t captain there would be some looking to drop Stokes, especially if he can't bowl.

My tentative 11 - Stokes, Duckett, Pope, Root, Brooks, Bairstow, Curran, Robinson, Broad, Archer, Anderson.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2190 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

ironside58 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:19 am Backed up by other 2 spinners. Think England's best chance in the ashes is to prepare tracks that won't spin much and leave leach out. Curran can come back as the all rounder. Gives more credence on Bairstow back instead of Foakes, though this would be harsh on Foakes. Need to see Bairstow back scoring runs to bring him back either in duel role or just as a batsman.

The 11 for the first test will be interesting.

Lots of pundits saying Archer in for Broad and complete uncertainty re the openers. Have seen all of the following picked instead of Crawley. Stokes, Root, Pope, Bairstow, Hameed, Vince, Pope.

The weird thing is if he was t captain there would be some looking to drop Stokes, especially if he can't bowl.

My tentative 11 - Stokes, Duckett, Pope, Root, Brooks, Bairstow, Curran, Robinson, Broad, Archer, Anderson.
Never say never...unless when you're talking about going into a Test Match without a spinner :winker: Do agree on your point about Stokes...although I suspect he would be approaching his batting differently were he not captain
ironside58

Post by ironside58 »

Loftyhammer wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:40 am Never say never...unless when you're talking about going into a Test Match without a spinner :winker: Do agree on your point about Stokes...although I suspect he would be approaching his batting differently were he not captain
I don't disagree just think none of ours are very good.
PF.

Post by PF. »

Curran is a fantastic white ball player but I wouldn't have him close to the test squad so long as Broad is around. It's a bit like Buttler, Malan (and probably) Archer. Give Curran the opportunity to be the greatest one-day all-rounder in the world and don't spread him too thin.
ironside58 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:19 am My tentative 11 - Stokes, Duckett, Pope, Root, Brooks, Bairstow, Curran, Robinson, Broad, Archer, Anderson.
As for that opening team; Archer is too much of a risk and I don't think you need four attack bowlers starting. Even if you did, you could argue Wood and Potts are ahead of Jofra in the pecking order. You're either mad or brilliant if you're leaving out our primary spinner and the dude who just hangs on in there with the bat.

I'd imagine the only place debatable in that XI come June is if Bairstow is fit and proves it against Ireland. And then it's whether Foakes will drop out or we remove a batsman from the top order.
ironside58

Post by ironside58 »

I want the first wicket non spin friendly to take out the threat of Lyon. Leach has moments but if the Aussies get after him his confidence could go very quickly, he fails to stop the run flow for me.

I understand the comments re the bowlers but I think we will need to rotate them during the series. Not sure about Potts yet but Broad and Wood will definitely feature during the series.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

I hope we don't drop Foakes. Leach has to play as well.

If he can't bowl then Stokes opening in place of Crawley isn't the worst idea ever...he can hang about when he puts his mind to it.
PF.

Post by PF. »

smuts wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:39 am I hope we don't drop Foakes. Leach has to play as well.

If he can't bowl then Stokes opening in place of Crawley isn't the worst idea ever...he can hang about when he puts his mind to it.
I think that's probably the option they'll go for mate - provided we do not get any injuries and Bairstow proves his fitness, of course.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

To drop Foakes to fit in a batsman would be a disgrace as far as I'm concerned.
Bend it like Repka

Been following the Vaughan case. Comes across to me that the ECB in their desire to look like they were serious about racism once the knee jerking started, decided he was guilty rather than investigating the case fully or interviewing everyone. They seem more focused on those who said he made the comments rather than those that did not.

Strangely, he's been charged with racism even though Rafiq and Rashid said he wasn't racist but had just made a bad joke. :eh:

My feeling is that even if he made the comment, it was one of those moments you try to be ironic and funny, and it fails, but it was in no way intended to be malicious. But with the accusation of racism and his career on the line he has no option but to deny full stop.

Probably costing him a fortune in legal fees to boot.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I have been following it a little as well Bendy, I think the real kicker for Vaughan is those old tweets, coupled with the testimony, I think he is probably toast.

Should he be, unless we were there and really know him, it is a difficult to really know. It is not a good look for most involved, that's one thing for sure.
Bend it like Repka

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:33 am I have been following it a little as well Bendy, I think the real kicker for Vaughan is those old tweets, coupled with the testimony, I think he is probably toast.

Should he be, unless we were there and really know him, it is a difficult to really know. It is not a good look for most involved, that's one thing for sure.
Offensive tweets?

"Why when you ring 118 118 are all the people who answer foreign... Can't make heads or tails of what they are saying... Annoying."

That's racist? I reckon about every person in this country has phoned a call centre and said that....
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Well saying it to people close to you or putting it out to the world are 2 very different things aren't they.

Is it racist, not if you look at it from the annoyance point of view, or you could look at it that he doesn't like foreigners, but it's the possible undertone of the tweet(s) accompanied with the testimony that hurts him.