⚽ Leeds Utd 2-2 West Ham Utd (4/1/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Re: ⚽ Leeds United v West Ham United: match thread

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:09 pm I wish the Premier League would do something about managers' and substitutes' sideline antics: Marsch left his technical area so many times, shouting at the ref even during the penalty review, he eventually got booked I think, but not sure exactly what he did on that occasion, seeing as there had been no action taken for him holding onto a ball and rubbing it onto the wet grass to delay our throw in.
I agree wholeheartly with the above. Marsch and Arteta are constantly doing it and it is now becoming that everyone is talking about as if they are "characters" within the game. I can understand a couple of steps outside the technical area but last night Marsch was running the line. Perhaps that why he does it, to get in the lino's ear. Straight out of the school of shithousery that Arteta went to.

He is also a bit of tit with over antics and theatricals. Couldn't put up with that each week.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

As Pinky mentioned, great game, really enjoyed it. Never realised just how unsafe the ground is, nearly as bad as Palace.
Not worried about relegation, I think we'll be fine.

Away fans in great form and good to see the usual suspects (and Pinky singing the praises of the second coming who is Benny)

Give me away games over home any day of the week, so much better to be among like minded fans who sing and get behind the team.

Charrrgggggeeeee
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Wilko1304 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:44 pm Coufal - victim of an awful referee and a snide little gimp. Made sense to go for Cress and move Kehrer to a more natural side.
This one I disagree with. Substituting a defender AND moving another to a different position midgame caused too much disruption to the back line. Kehrer was actually settling down a bit in the second half over on the left. Certainly didn't look as calamitous as he did first half. I think the correct sub would have been leaving him where he was and doing a straight swap... Coufal for Johnson. Having both Kehrer and Cresswell as full-backs weakened us. Johnson is very sound defensively and that's what we needed at that point of the game.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I've instructed lawyers.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:39 pm I've instructed lawyers.
Now you’re really ****ed.
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 99 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

I thought there were promising signs last night, that the players actually want to get out of this mess.

There was some fight and desire from the old guard and the new (Kehrer aside).

But Antonio, Cresswell and Dawson look done and need upgrading asafp!

At least if we could get a quality LB in this window (something we've been crying out for years) and get a settled pairing of Zouma and Aguerd, we've got a chance of mid table safety, allowing us to have a good go at Europe.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:38 pm This one I disagree with. Substituting a defender AND moving another to a different position midgame caused too much disruption to the back line. Kehrer was actually settling down a bit in the second half over on the left. Certainly didn't look as calamitous as he did first half. I think the correct sub would have been leaving him where he was and doing a straight swap... Coufal for Johnson. Having both Kehrer and Cresswell as full-backs weakened us. Johnson is very sound defensively and that's what we needed at that point of the game.
I dont agree or disagree, really. I don't think it was enough of a big deal that it can be a mistake even if, thinking back, keeping Kehrer away from Dawson should have been the most important part of that change.
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

happydaystoytown wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:47 pm I thought there were promising signs last night, that the players actually want to get out of this mess.
Rice is doing a fantastic job at this. He can see that the new players and tired players don't always get it. Last night he was magnificent at pointing out to the players the away supporters, geeing up our fans and not letting anyone's head go down. I have no idea if he's going to stay beyond this season but he clearly does not want to be part of a relegated club. If anything, he's trying too hard: hence two thunderbolt shots into Row Z.
Take It to the Limit
Has liked: 1201 likes
Total likes: 411 likes

Post by Take It to the Limit »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:13 pm
All of the new recruits are struggling with the pace of the PL. No time to think, react, ponder, it's a game played by anticipation, instinct and living off your wits. I hope they come good, but this is what happens when you do your transfer business late in a crowded season. No time to adapt or integrate.
Great post Pink, but just wanted to question this a tad. Paqueta and Scamacca I can understand as they E had problems like injuries, service etc.. But, and I don’t know for certain, as I don’t have stats, but Thilo seems to have had more game time than most of the team/squad this season, but still seems well off the pace. I’m just wondering what he brings to the team, and does Moyes rate Emerson so badly that he’d rather play Thilo on the left than the left sided defender he bought who at least HAS Premiership experience. Or was Emerson sold to us as a ‘sweetener’ for Rice at the end of the transfer window/season?
It just seems so odd that he had two left sided defenders (plus Johnson, who’s played on the left) on the bench, but chose to play a right sided defender on the left instead.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1162 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

hammerman11 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:30 pm Not enough I am afraid . Leeds should have won that by a few clear goals .
Next up , our cup exit
You need to regain your Traore love, try e-harmony or similar. 😉
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

As well as pointing out the bad timing of the subs and who he took off, what also worked for Leeds but not us is Marsch's subs worked a treat. Harrison absolutely ran the show for them when he come on and as well as make a lot of their play, it was his assist for their equaliser soon after he came on. In every aspect of how both managers dealt with the subs, Marsch came out on top. He made the right subs and at the right time to regain the initiative back from us in getting back in to the game, soon after Scamacca scored.

He also took the opportunity at the same time of bringing Harrison on, he quickly recognised that Summerville was walking a tight rope after he just made a terrible challenge on Coufal receiving a yellow. He not only protected the Team by taking him off and keeping 11 men on the pitch, he also made an astute attacking move at the same time.
Last edited by Colours never run on Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Re: Leeds United v West Ham United: match thread

Post by Ilford Paolo »

Sawbo wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:48 am We got a point against a Leeds side who have been struggling of late ( particularly at home).
We nearly lost it in the dying seconds.
This was not a good result and surely you Moyes advocates must concede that his substitutions cost us?
I watched it live and felt it was strange to sub both goal scorers with just a one goal lead.
Ilford Paolo

Post by Ilford Paolo »

Clucking Bell wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:29 am I thought we played pretty well and probably should have won. Once again we were undone by silly mistakes in defence and shots that Fabianski really should have done better with.

With all due respect to the Benrahma fans, I'm glad that Moyes put Fornals back into the team, although I'd have preferred to see him in the middle of the park. He just has the vision that nobody else in the team has got and, yes, I get that his shooting usually leaves quite a bit to be desired. He also sets a good example in the sheer amount of donkey work that he's prepared to do for the team.
I agree about Fornals but not that we should have won. Their keeper didn't have to make a serious save apart from out 2nd, though Coufal's attempt was exciting.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

hammerman11 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:30 pm Not enough I am afraid . Leeds should have won that by a few clear goals .
Next up , our cup exit
Is this kind of reverse jinx, h11?

Your posting recently has been unremittingly glum
Take It to the Limit

Ilford Paolo wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:32 pm I agree about Fornals but not that we should have won. Their keeper didn't have to make a serious save apart from out 2nd, though Coufal's attempt was exciting.
If Coufal’s attempt had gone in, I reckon his celebration would’ve been something to behold! He’d have jumped into the crowd! Not our greatest player but gives 100%. He’s this generation’s Repka! 😂
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 664 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Take It to the Limit wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:41 pm If Coufal’s attempt had gone in, I reckon his celebration would’ve been something to behold! He’d have jumped into the crowd! Not our greatest player but gives 100%. He’s this generation’s Repka! 😂
He's a repka minus the red cards and prison sentence
Ilford Paolo

Post by Ilford Paolo »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:38 pm Going off topic of the match itself (mainly because I'm bored of talking about how poor we are in the first half of games and how little Soucek offers), what a top away day Leeds is, by far the best in the league IMO and well worth the 7 hour round trip midweek. Yes the concourse is appalling and probably an accident waiting to happen and theres a lack of pubs near the ground for away fans now but what a great end that is for watching the game and interacting with the home end - proper football and proper fans. Special mention to the DJ for playing "I predict a riot" before kick off, very good.
Pretty crappy when you arrive by coach.We got here around 4.45 and they wouldn't let us in for an hour so it was stand in the rain or return to the coach for about 20 of us when they could have let us in down that covered walkway to the away turnstiles.
Take It to the Limit

jabbaglob123 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:51 pm He's a repka minus the red cards and prison sentence
😂
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Take It to the Limit wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:45 pm Thilo seems to have had more game time than most of the team/squad this season, but still seems well off the pace. I’m just wondering what he brings to the team
He's played games but I'd be keen to see how many successive games he's played in the same position...not many (if any) would be my guess.

He does look shaky at the moment but I'm hoping he comes good...but yes outside of generally shuffling the pack...I can't fathom the thinking of him playing left back and felt sure it'd be a back 3 when I saw the line up.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Pretty cut and dried that Summerville should have walked for his assault on Vlad but what about the earlier one when Rodrigo tried to decapitate Rice? That really would have changed the game.