⚽ Leeds Utd 2-2 West Ham Utd (4/1/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Liam
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Re: Leeds United v West Ham United: match thread

Post by Liam »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:33 am Only just seen highlights on MOTD.
That tackle from Summerville was X-rated and deserved a straight red. It was a calculated lunge, studs up as retribution for Vlad’s tackle seconds earlier. Shocking piece or refereeing and no surprise to see him subbed almost immediately after. No surprise either that it was not mentioned in MOTD.
I can only think that the position of the tackle meant that there were few camera angles of the challenge and therefore there wasn't enough evidence?
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Re: ⚽ Leeds United v West Ham United: match thread

Post by Sloop John B »

I mean we're getting better... just very slowly!

Actually enjoyed the game and thought most players were decent if nobody quite made it to excellent. Happy for Paqetacca, both gave a good showing and the goals were both well taken - Will say again a ball played in to Scamacca's feet with his back to goal... It's his MO at the moment, control.... move the ball to the side.... smash it in... had a close one the other week, scored one in the Conf very similar and last night - Have him hover around edge of box and play into his feet.

Rice is obviously a quality player but I'd prefer to have him in a more measured role, his charging about like a mad puppy causes us problems with him being caught out of position.

As the game's go by the more sure I am that Aguerd is a class act, the more I feel that Kehrir is shakey, will cut him some slack as he's playing a different position every week. Coufal on the other hand needs to improve his ball retention, he's essentially a brick wall - great at stopping the ball from going beyond him but it just bounces off his cabbage shaped head to a 50-50, plenty of times last night a bit more composure was needed, he did a nice free kick though after his comical wind check routine.

All in all, you've got to. take the positives and we are looking better both with and without the ball. Moyes is obviously backing the players/his system to finally come good let's hope he's proven right!
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Ozza wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:01 am I saw Bowen a fair few times come off the wing and get closer to Gianluca especially when the ball was on the other side of the pitch
Fair enough :newthumb:

Probably not as extreme as Fornals... both helped Scamacca (as did Soucek's pressing)
essexhammer90
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by essexhammer90 »

Some promising signs last night and I enjoyed the match, but to say we deserved a win as some have is a case of claret and blue specs. If Leeds had converted their chances it could have been 5-2.

Other than our goals (a pen and an unforced error) we didn’t really create anything clear cut again.

The next two league matches are huge and will influence how we look at last night IMO. Win those and it’s 7 points from 3 games and it looks like a good point and the start of us regaining some confidence. Lose those and it’s 1 fortunate draw from 3 games.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I've only seen the highlights so can't offer any sort of in-depth review of the tactics. I'm pleased that we got a point to stop the dreadful run of defeats. If we drawn two or three of our odd goal defeats (ManU and Liverpool come to mind) our situation would not have become so precarious. If we can get 4 points from the next two games (please beat Everton) it will look a bit better. 6 would be great if unlikely
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Ozza »

westlondonhammer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:13 am Fair enough :newthumb:

Probably not as extreme as Fornals... both helped Scamacca (as did Soucek's pressing)
And Scamacca got on his bike and pressed, it was good to see
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Ozza wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:01 am I saw Bowen a fair few times come off the wing and get closer to Gianluca especially when the ball was on the other side of the pitch
Fair enough - even when the ball is on his side though, I'd still like him a bit narrower. There were a couple of moments where Paqueta and I think Fornals played a neat ball in to him where he was a bit narrower - that looked more dangerous and its something I'd like to see more of. I think he benefitted yesterday from having players other than Soucek and Coufal to play off. I've been saying this for a while - Bowen is great at making little off the ball runs, but we never have the right personnel over on that side to play him in. What I don't like to see is this constant low percentage crossing strategy with our most dangerous players wasted hugging the touchline, and not enough players attacking the box. Nothing ever comes from that. Paqueta and Fornals were pulling the strings yesterday and I'd like to see more of that. The change in terms of our creativity was noticeable once they'd left the pitch. Not saying that was the wrong sub by the way as they may well have been knackered.
Passerby66
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Passerby66 »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

kitthehammer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:00 am fabianski - 6 a couple of great saves but maybe could have done better with the goals
This weird agenda people have against Fab needs to stop. The goals Leeds scored were brilliant goals that he had absolutely no chance with what so ever. The save at the end to win us a point was magnificent.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Ozza wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:24 am And Scamacca got on his bike and pressed, it was good to see
I did notice in the first 10 minutes, Scammaca was pressing and he was directing other players to join him in the press by taking a specific man. This was great to see for me and potentially helped stop us get into a slump of dropping off from the start. It felt like he helped set the tone which I am not sure I've seen from him before.
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

Moyes simply cannot win.

If he makes no subs people moan that hes not proactive enough.

If he makes subs people moan that they're the wrong subs.

I genuinely believe he could've made any combination of subs and people would have still had a dig at him.

Antonio for Scamacca was a perfectly reasonable move to make, with the spaces leeds left it was made for Antonio to come on and run in behind.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:27 am Moyes simply cannot win.

I genuinely believe he could've made any combination of subs and people would have still had a dig at him.

Antonio for Scamacca was a perfectly reasonable move to make, with the spaces leeds left it was made for Antonio to come on and run in behind.
Antonio of old maybe. This Antonio we have now doesn't do that. He's just not good enough anymore.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Starting to arrest the slide is key and last night was a step in the right direction. Shame we couldn't hold on but if you'd have offered me a point before kick off I'd probably have taken it.
Station to Station
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Station to Station »

Entertaining game. Poor goals from a defensive point of view but if we had scored them we would be lauding them.

Big Daws days are numbered if we continue to play that system, he looked exposed. Aguerd slotted in nicely and ate up ground, beautiful tackle early doors to bail out Kehrer who had a shocker - he must have played in every position in our back four this season.

Thought we lost our foothold in midfield when Paqueta came off, who looked more like the player we bought.

Antonio for Scamacca made sense he just didnt play well when he came on.

Rice influential but not quite at his best. Fornals and Bowen pressed well.

Leeds lucky not to go down to 10. They bottled that decision.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

I entirely agree with Burnley on Bowen. He rarely has support on the right with Rice favouring the left and Soucek centre. There is a yawning chasm between Bowen and Coufal in attack and I’m sure Bowen’s form would be better if he had a midfield ‘partner’ to play off. It would have been interesting to see Cornet behind Bowen. Look at the left side by comparison - Rice, Benny, Fornals and even Lanzini are all naturally left sided players.
Last edited by Hamburger on Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

He can, he needs to start winning football matches. He isn't doing that at present.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

jacko wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:49 am I don’t know if this point supports the manager or not. He makes changes every single week whether they are enforced or not. Aguerd was on the bench the week before. There was nothing stopping him picking coufal, dawson, aguerd and creswell and keeping the changes minimal. He doesn’t know his best side.
Agree with this, he definitely doesnt know his best side, 4 at the back one week, 5 the next, 4 the week after and constantly swapping and changing players in midfield and attack. It's like he sees what the fans see, changes to be a bit more positive and then bottles it the week after and goes back to park the bus again.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

100% agree with this - said something similar last night after the game. I thought he made some good changes. Our inability to defend properly and set up correctly is why we conceded goals.

That's the last 4 goals that have come from throw-ins. For me Paquetta doesn't quite do what he needs to from a defensive position yesterday. He was slow to react for both goals.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Effort and fight was much better last night.

Defensively we are still some way off where we need to be though. We switch off far too easily. Paqueta and Rice both guilty of ball watching from as far back as the throw on for their first goal.

To a degree the same for the second goal as the ball into Harrison is just too easy. He has so much space to take the ball and turn. Either Rice or Paqueta should be sitting a bit deeper to close that option.

It feels as though we are getting better but we still don't seem to have cracked it. Paqueta was the best I have seen him, looked really fired up and quality on the ball. Bowen looks to be getting back to his best and Scamacca, although totally isolated, managed to get involved quite a bit too.

Antonio is done for me. Far too much throwing himself to the ground these days. He has lost a yard or two of pace and he knows it. Pointless throwing him on unless it is up alongside Scamacca as he is not a like for like.
Last edited by sutts07 on Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Personally, I think the inability to set yourself up for throw ins (something my son's U17 side practice regularly) is a pretty fair subject to criticise the coaching /match preparation team for.