⚽ Leeds Utd 2-2 West Ham Utd (4/1/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 128 likes

Re: ⚽ Leeds United v West Ham United: match thread

Post by Ilford Paolo »

I will have a proper read later.Only got home by coach at 3.45 due to diversions on the A1 and a stubborn coach driver :chin:
nickkarkie
Has liked: 65 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Watching the second goal and so many errors in it, Aguerd was positioned all wrong as he tried to cover Rodrigo, had his back to him and then turned to the right as he thought the ball was going in behind and then it was too late, need to be touch tight and not allow the run
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

For those that want a full breakdown of expected goals... https://fbref.com/en/matches/068406dc/L ... #shots_all
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 545 likes

Post by sutts07 »

IronZ-79 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:39 am 100% agree with this - said something similar last night after the game. I thought he made some good changes. Our inability to defend properly and set up correctly is why we conceded goals.

That's the last 4 goals that have come from throw-ins. For me Paquetta doesn't quite do what he needs to from a defensive position yesterday. He was slow to react for both goals.
Thought he got the Scamacca sub wrong. It was like going down to 10 men with Antonio up top alone.
I also thought Paqueta had the best game he'd had for us and we missed him when he went off too.

For what it is worth, I thought Moyes made some good subs against Brentford.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

In terms of the subs, I can easily accept that Scamacca and Paqueta were running out of steam, and I can accept the theory that Antonio may have done well on the counter against a Leeds team that were committing men forward. I personally think the only mistake sub wise was bringing Cresswell on. Moving Kehrer to the right instead of Coufal was a mistake imo. Kehrer had a nightmare first half but I thought he was starting to find his feet a little in the second half. Shifting his position yet again did us no favours. It unsettled the back line further. For all his faults going forward, Johnson is a better defender than Cresswell and could have come on as a straight replacement for Coufal without having to reshuffle the defence.
sutts07
Total likes: 545 likes

Post by sutts07 »

I can also accept that Paqueta and Scamacca were gassed.
Both put a decent shift in.
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

Just got up after a late night coach back home.
Overall much better. We made Leeds look a lot less lively than I'd expected. Much more energy and signs of life from Gianluca and Paqueta at last. Aguerd at the back is superb. Fornals adds vital energy. I have no idea why he hasn't featured more, he contributes so much to our momentum.
Soucek was better, but it was still possible for them to pass through our midfield at times too easily.
Kehrer was awful. He couldn't put a foot right. I really like him but he was dreadful. Slow, nervous, weak, out of position. A constant liability. I have no idea why Moyes played him at left back and why he didn't sub him with Cress and Johnson on the bench.
Yes, the subs were weak and allowed Leeds back into the game. Classic Moyes.
Rice needs to practice shots from the edge of the box - we wasted at least 3-4 decent second balls on the edge of the penalty.
In the end Fab saved our bacon at the end and was very good throughout.
I was happy with the point, because I expected a tonking, but we will have to keep improving and being positive if we're to get points from Wolves and Everton.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3486 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

London Fields Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:11 amJust got up after a late night coach back home.
Always good to hear from the travelling faithful LFH. Hope you had a good trip.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

sutts07 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:01 am Thought he got the Scamacca sub wrong. It was like going down to 10 men with Antonio up top alone.
I also thought Paqueta had the best game he'd had for us and we missed him when he went off too.

Tactically, maybe moving Soucek closer to Rice and going back to basics would have provided better protection. Pushing Paquetta into to the number 10 role may have been better.

No doubt he would have got pelters for it. But looking at the match of the day analysis, it was clear Rice was left exposed and that could have been addressed.
Hammer_Time1
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Hammer_Time1 »

We looked much better last night, offensively, until the withdrawal of Scamacca and Paqueta.. But I noticed a lot of time wasting from us at Goal Kicks and throw ins etc. even after we conceded for the second time. Why?

I know Leeds are at home, but they're not brilliant or in particularly good form. We should be going for the win, not settling/struggling for the point. We have now conceded 2+ goals in the last 6 games. I'm struggling to see how this is encouraging, unfortunately. :|
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1982 likes
Total likes: 4728 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

sutts07 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:01 am Thought he got the Scamacca sub wrong. It was like going down to 10 men with Antonio up top alone.

Yeah, the issue wasn't the sub, it was the performance of the sub.

Antonio was poor when he came on. But he came off the bench in Europe a few months ago and completely changed the game.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Antonio seems to age like a dog.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 668 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

S-H wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:34 pm Antonio seems to age like a dog.
He's dreadful. Think we need to buy a new back up striker in the window along with a proper left back.

Feel like I'm morphing into hammerman11
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3486 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:35 pm Feel like I'm morphing into hammerman11
Fair point. Even your user name is a list.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 668 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:36 pm Fair point. Even your user name is a list.
:crylol:
NWhammer
Has liked: 794 likes
Total likes: 1520 likes

Post by NWhammer »

nickkarkie wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:49 am Watching the second goal and so many errors in it, Aguerd was positioned all wrong as he tried to cover Rodrigo, had his back to him and then turned to the right as he thought the ball was going in behind and then it was too late, need to be touch tight and not allow the run
Both goals were shocking. 1st goal from a Leeds thrown in, they won the first header and got out far too easily and none of our players reacted. Summerville did well with the disguised pass and it’s easy to say in heindseight but Dawson should always stay on the inside.

2nd goal, again poor reaction to lost posession, the recovery from Roce was shocking, he dives in the first time and then has the opportunity to take the lot but doesn’t.
NWhammer
Has liked: 794 likes
Total likes: 1520 likes

Post by NWhammer »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:35 pm He's dreadful. Think we need to buy a new back up striker in the window along with a proper left back.

Feel like I'm morphing into hammerman11
I’ve been saying it for years. Speedboat no driver but now the speed is going he’s a tractor with no driver.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Re: Leeds United v West Ham United: match thread

Post by Doc H Ball »

Ozza wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:24 am And Scamacca got on his bike and pressed, it was good to see
Thought Scamacca had his best game for months. Bowen running at the centre rather than wide has also made a difference to the attack.

We are very Jekyll and Hyde - like two personalities fighting with each other. One is doing okay then the other one goes nuts.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Our defence looked ****ing ropey for both of their goals, I
thought. Bit of Red Sea parting there
Dave Hedgehog
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

Considering we have lost five on the bounce, I thought we played alright last night - it certainly didn't seem like people's heads have dropped.