Sobriety

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Are these figures correct?

Post by V-M »

First of all I drink too much. Probably a lot of people on here do as well. But I was working out how much alcohol different drinks contain and still cant grasp the truth in my calculations.

I used to drink a lot of wine (not touched it since last year), but a bottle was never enough so, on average, a bottle and a half of red per day would be the going rate. Didnt seem like a crazy amount but using my calculation below that would equal over half a bottle of spirit a day? Is that true?

I now go through a bottle of rum a week which is still a lot but, again, going on my calculations its a hell of a lot less than what I used to drink.

So anyway...

1 bottle of red is 750ml of fluid and with an alcohol content of 13.5% that would equal 101.25ml of alcohol per bottle

1 bottle of rum is 700ml of fluid and with an alcohol content of 40% that would equal 280ml of alcohol per bottle

280 / 101.25 = 2.76 - Therefore 1 bottle rum = about 2 and 3/4 bottles of wine.

1.5 bottles of wine per day makes 10.5 per week - 10.5 / 2.76 would equate to 3.8 bottles of rum a week.

Did I get that right? If so its weird that changing drinks to a stronger tipple could result in so much of a drastic reduction in alcohol consumption.

And I still think a bottle of spirit a week sounds more than a bottle and a half of wine a day!

Anyway, apologies for the long winded post, just trying to get my head around those figures.
daytimedave
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Re: Are these figures correct?

Post by daytimedave »

stop effing about ,.......... its your round !
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

V-M wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:57 pm Anyway, apologies for the long winded post, just trying to get my head around those figures.
I would drink wine similarly to you. Need to knock it on the head but don't really do spirits. Just need to stop drinking during the week I suppose.
daytimedave
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by daytimedave »

ffs, whats this AA anonymous ? :lol:
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

V-M wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:57 pm I used to drink a lot of wine (not touched it since last year), but a bottle was never enough so, on average, a bottle and a half of red per day would be the going rate.
That does sound like a helluva lot, V-M

I now go through a bottle of rum a week which is still a lot but, again, going on my calculations its a hell of a lot less than what I used to drink.
So does that really, mate. Although obvs it does depend on the size of the bottle.
All just imo, of course. :newthumb:

Anyway, apologies for the long winded post, just trying to get my head around those figures.
I'll have to get back to you about the figures, I'm too drunk to think at the moment..
Samba

Post by Samba »

daytimedave wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:34 pm ffs, whats this AA anonymous ? :lol:
It's because you never know the name of the breakdown driver..
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

It’s worth noting that the calories will be even more shocking.
Samba

Post by Samba »

V-M wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:57 pm Did I get that right? If so its weird that changing drinks to a stronger tipple could result in so much of a drastic reduction in alcohol consumption.

And I still think a bottle of spirit a week sounds more than a bottle and a half of wine a day!

I think your figures all sound fine.
Look at it another way, one 700ml bottle of rum a week, you're consuming, as you said, 280mls of alcohol a week.
Compared with 10.5 bottles of red a week, when you're consuming 1063mls of alcohol a week.
Again, as you said, 3.8 times as many mls of alcohol, as the rum.

'And I still think a bottle of spirit a week sounds more than a bottle and a half of wine a day!'
It may be about you thinking in terms of weeks & days.
You're really comparing 1 bottle of spirit a week, to 10.5 bottles of wine a week.
So yes, 1 bottle of spirit a week is quite a bit less alcohol consumed, than a week of drinking the red wine.
Sounds good to me!
I need a lie down..
V-M

Post by V-M »

Samba wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:12 pm I think your figures all sound fine.
Look at it another way, one 700ml bottle of rum a week, you're consuming, as you said, 280mls of alcohol a week.
Compared with 10.5 bottles of red a week, when you're consuming 1063mls of alcohol a week.
Again, as you said, 3.8 times as many mls of alcohol, as the rum.

'And I still think a bottle of spirit a week sounds more than a bottle and a half of wine a day!'
It may be about you thinking in terms of weeks & days.
You're really comparing 1 bottle of spirit a week, to 10.5 bottles of wine a week.
So yes, 1 bottle of spirit a week is quite a bit less alcohol consumed, than a week of drinking the red wine.
Sounds good to me!
I need a lie down..
Thanks Samba

Just needed a sanity check. I think its just that wine has always been seen as acceptable to everyone (apart West Ham supporting from ZZ Top lookalikes) whereas sprits are considered the hard stuff. Dont get me wrong, Im happy with the results from above, really shows that wine can be a wolf in sheeps clothing and easy to underestimate the amount you can drink on a regular basis.
V-M

Post by V-M »

Joyeux Marteau wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:45 pm It’s worth noting that the calories will be even more shocking.
Very good point Marteau! Thats a calculation for tonight and will no doubt make me feel even better!
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

How many bottles had you consumed when you posted this, dude?

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

I drink most nights. Typically if I'm opening a bottle of wine I'm drinking the lot, and then moving onto gin afterwards, normally having two of three of those. Not unusual to do this on a school night. I've stopped buying brandy because I know I'll end up having a few of those otherwise.

I don't really drink beer at home, but still managed 7 cans of Guinness sunday night. I would have had the 8th and final can but it was half 12 and I had to be up at 6.

I've been making a concerted effort to reduce consumption and drink on fewer nights though. Nothing last night. I'm out Thursday and Friday this week so trying to avoid drinking until then.

Anyway, as to the original question, if I'm trying to drink less I'll have a couple of beers. I know that normally after 3 or 4 I've had enough when drinking at home, whereas as I said above if I'm drinking wine the bottle will get finished.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Its funny how you envisage others on here, never took sendo as the type to drink a lot on a school night.

I've found that I can not really any longer go to the pub after work, drink more than two pints and not fancy carrying on drinking once I get home (I've earned my 'thirst'), so I try not to.

Once I have opened a bottle of wine then it will most likely get drunk, with a very good chance that a second one will be opened and drunk as well.

I tend now not to drink Sunday through to Thursday for that reason, the only time that changes is when I stick to beer and drink it during my dinner, then generally I'm far too stuffed on the food to want more drink.

Only problem I have then is that on a Friday I may well drink several (3 or more) bottle of wine on the night. Sometimes I fancy vodka (or another spirit), in which case not unusal to wake up in the morning and find that I have drunk almost the whole bottle (normally the 1 litre ones). :oops:

Pretty sad really, should look to be drinking less.

I remember a mate of mine who used to work on the underground, he told me that there they have really bad cases of binge drinking on a Friday, Saturday and up to a certain time on the Sunday.
Seemed that he knew (?) how many hours beforehand he could drink without being pulled up if he had to do a random D&D test on the Monday.
V-M

Post by V-M »

S-H wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:19 am How many bottles had you consumed when you posted this, dude?

Well I'd be lying if I said none mate!

Had a couple of bottles of Marston Old Empire followed by a large rum. Followed that by having a large plate of dinner and nothing after. In fact I find having eaten my interest in booze diminishes substantially.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

V-M wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:43 am In fact I find having eaten my interest in booze diminishes substantially.
I'm exactly the same, that time between getting home, and having your tea, is a dangerous time indeed.
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Roughly speaking, spirits are three times as strong as wine, so 1.5 bottles of wine contains roughly the same as 0.5 bottles of spirits. That’s a lot more than I think I’d registered previously and is a bit alarming to say the least.

Problem with most vices is that when you start wondering if you need to cut back, the brutal truth is that you likely need to cut out completely.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:37 am Its funny how you envisage others on here, never took sendo as the type to drink a lot on a school night.
To be fair mate I never used to, ever. Then a few years ago started going to the pub midweek sometimes because we were on a particularly stressful job, and that morphed into having a few beers at home midweek or perhaps half a bottle of wine. When lockdown came last year and I started working from home, the distinction between school night and weekend went and I was drinking all the time - and why not? I remember one night having a couple of lagers, then a bottle of red, and then doing about half a bottle of brandy. The next morning I made a cuppa, sat at the computer, sent a couple of emails and then spent the day playing games on my other laptop.

Drinking every night is an easy routine to get into but a hard one to shake.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I'm a complete lightweight. We'll share a bottle of wine with Sunday dinner, then I might have a small, and I do mean small, single malt that will last all night two or three times a week. That's it, apart from an occasional beer with a takeaway curry.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

There's some worrying amounts of alcohol consumption being posted on here chaps.

Not lecturing, but I do give a **** about most of you lot, and some of these amounts really ain't good for you.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

sendô wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:28 am To be fair mate I never used to, ever. Then a few years ago started going to the pub midweek sometimes because we were on a particularly stressful job, and that morphed into having a few beers at home midweek or perhaps half a bottle of wine. When lockdown came last year and I started working from home, the distinction between school night and weekend went and I was drinking all the time - and why not?
I must say that the lock down was a big test for me, and tbf I was quite happy that apart from an odd thursday night I managed to keep quite disciplined and not drink.

Most likely due to the fact that once I start I might not have stopped.

sendô wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:28 am Drinking every night is an easy routine to get into but a hard one to shake.
Isn’t that the truth, in my youth I rarely drank, most likely due to smoking weed, so never really gave it much thought. Once I knocked that on the head, I found my desire for a drink went through the roof.

Now it’s a case of had a good week at work, lets celebrate a good week. Had a crap week at work, then thank F its Friday... I need a drink and I need it now!