Sobriety

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Re: Sobriety

Post by EvilC »

Hummer - next time you are going out give me a shout please, it sounds awesome. :D
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1874 likes
Total likes: 2492 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I'm still very much enjoying being off the grog. I've had a couple of friday night drinks at home, while our eldest was out of the country, and I've no particular motivation to continue them now she's back.

Hopefully, we're setting a better example for the kids, my wife in particular has a habit of getting hammered on wine (she won't drink beer, for some reason, but thinks its okay to chug wine) and I seriously dislike the kids seeing her slurring her words and stumbling round. She even ended up in hospital last year, having been out for drinks with her brother, falling over outside the pub and nutting a concrete bollard. Her brother helpfully delivered her at our door before disappearing, while I took her to hospital to get her treated.

She's mostly off the drink too, now, but I noticed her having a few glasses of wine last night. I'll bring it up with her, and I'm sure she'll aggressively defend herself, but there were far too many instances of her getting blackout drunk last year. Her whole family are lousy drunks and I'm determined to make her deal with herself properly. Her parents got arseholed on family holiday last summer, and chewed out their daughter in law over absolutely nothing, scaring their grandchildren (who they barely know). I tried to intervene, and her dad threatened to kill me, which I ignored, and pacified them for a bit, explaining they were terrifying the kids. They very quickly switched from aggression to self-pity and disappeared the following day, before returning and acting like everything was normal. Not cool at all.

It's the British normalisation of getting dangerously out-of-control drunk that I can't be doing with. I'm not saying I've never done it myself, I've done it plenty, but I never got fighty, moody or argumentative when I've overdone it - I just turn into a goof. Probably an unfunny and annoying goof, but not one that looks for (or finds) confrontation. If quitting drunkenness for good is what it's going to take to protect my kids from that normalisation of irresponsible alcohol abuse, it won't be a sacrifice.

Also, I've lost 5-6Kg since I stopped, which is very welcome.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

EvilC wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:13 pm Hummer - next time you are going out give me a shout please, it sounds awesome. :D
Nah mate, seriously and I'll refer to Dans post. That's what I'm like most of the time when I get to a certain level.

Not looking for a fight mind, being brough up on 'the summer of love' and stuff meant that I like dancing too much when I'm out (I call it dancing - others call it stumbling around waving my arms around shouting 'tune..!!'). But when it goes wrong, mate, no one in their right mind wants to be anywhere near me.
Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

OK, back on the wagon starting at midnight last night. Aiming to last until the end of March. At least.

Also want to do a 10k in under an hour which I haven't done for about 7 years. And I can't achieve that if I'm running to shake off a hangover.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Shabu wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:47 pm OK, back on the wagon starting at midnight last night. Aiming to last until the end of March. At least.

Also want to do a 10k in under an hour which I haven't done for about 7 years. And I can't achieve that if I'm running to shake off a hangover.
I used to post some amazing (by my own standards) times when running with a hangover - I guess it’s all the empty calories in the blood that turns into easy-metabolised energy. Or something.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:54 pm I used to post some amazing (by my own standards) times when running with a hangover - I guess it’s all the empty calories in the blood that turns into easy-metabolised energy. Or something.
You were on yer bike Dan :grin:
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1681 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Im off to Ireland tomorrow. Sobriety goes right out the window for 5 days.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

WHU Independent wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:22 pm Im off to Ireland tomorrow. Sobriety goes right out the window for 5 days.
Welcome to my country Indy, if you need any tips etc,,, let me know :newthumb:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Got on the wagon Friday

Fell off the wagon Saturday

Back on the wagon today so hopefully won't buy a load of booze after work.
old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by old fart »

2 weeks tonight, but I don't half fancy a drink when I sit up late to watch the cricket.

I've been making sausage rolls and stuffing myself
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1681 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

ageing hammer wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:10 pm Welcome to my country Indy, if you need any tips etc,,, let me know :newthumb:
Cheers Ageing - Was in Dungarvan now in Tallagh, Coming home tomorrow.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

WHU Independent wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:43 pm Cheers Ageing - Was in Dungarvan now in Tallagh, Coming home tomorrow.
I have cousins from Tallagh. Proper rednecks they are.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Tbh, I'm starting to increase my alcohol consumption again to pretty crap levels.

I went almost 11 years without, aside from the odd one with a meal - but because I've got this freedom I've not had for christ knows how long, my intake is going up, and up, and up.

I really need to nip it in the bud and sort it out, but I'm kind of at a point now where I've been doing it so often, I'm now going to find it difficult.

What a ****ing idiot. 🙄
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

-DL- wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:25 pm Tbh, I'm starting to increase my alcohol consumption again to pretty crap levels.

I went almost 11 years without, aside from the odd one with a meal - but because I've got this freedom I've not had for christ knows how long, my intake is going up, and up, and up.

I really need to nip it in the bud and sort it out, but I'm kind of at a point now where I've been doing it so often, I'm now going to find it difficult.

What a ****ing idiot. 🙄
Best of luck
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

I'm going to the pot shop tonight to buy some low dose thc gummies.

They also help you sleep.

Half the women at work are on them and I want to join them :grin:

Hopefully it'll wean me off the beer and wine.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Shabu wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:54 pm I'm going to the pot shop tonight to buy some low dose thc gummies.

They also help you sleep.

Half the women at work are on them and I want to join them :grin:

Hopefully it'll wean me off the beer and wine.
Can you PM me with where you can get these from in the UK? I want them for the same reason as you.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

RaddyKovac wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:36 am Can you PM me with where you can get these from in the UK? I want them for the same reason as you.
Don't think you can get them in the UK, might manage some with CBD in them, but that's your lot.

Shabu over in the states can get his hands on all sorts of stuff it seems, some guy I once met, who was american, told me about the weed farms over there, they have meets and all sorts. Sounded like a vintage wine type of thing - where they'd meet and discuss each others weed - the quality, buzz, flavour, fragrance, all sorts.. Shabu will now tell me he was pulling my leg. :crylol:
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

If anyone is really looking to knock the booze on the head and struggling, I definitely recommend reading ‘This Naked Mind’ by Annie Grace, it seemed to rewire my brain and attitudes to alcohol so I’m not thinking about drinking at all, I’m on day 58 of not drinking, feeling much happier, doing running so fitter too. Now I just need to stop eating half a pipe of hobnobs after dinner.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

The pot shop was great. Very friendly & professional. LOADS of choices.

I bought a bag of 5mg THC microdose gummies just for a little chiller.

2 bags of 10mg THC gummies

And a bag of gummies for sleeping. 10mg THC, 10 CBD & 10 CBN.

Various flavours.

My Missus grabbed some purely because she liked the look of the box & popped one. She'd never really done anything drugwise before & had a whale of an evening, listening to her music & giggling along.

It was much cheaper than I expected. Whole thing cost $52 (43 quid) & we got about 60 gummies in total so less than booze.

I slept like a baby & feel great this morning. This is the brand I bought