Sobriety

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Re: Sobriety

Post by bonzosbeard »

I did my 24 days from 3rd until 27th and had weekend away with wife where we had a couple in day, wine with dinner and a ight cap in pub. Planned to not have any in week but ended up not in right mindset to not have any.

Annoyed with myself and stopped again now.

My trouble is I just like a couple in week sometimes and I find myself giving an excuse.to have them. I don't carry on drinking.

I am pleased that I'm smashing plenty of alcohol free days though and if I do drink at weekends I try to think about each one and try to think of coffee or exercise more.

All of you on here have been a support to me in this healthier relationship with the booze. Maybe ultimately I'll stop forever but not there at moment.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1638 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Done my 30 days pennance and given my liver and my wallet a well deserved rest. Going to a pub quiz tomorrow, and I might have a few, as I'm off to Ireland in a few eeeks and that will be a bit of a dink up, so i don't want to go to that about 45 days off the booze. It would be a nightmare.

Then again I might not. It's been piss easy not drinking for 30 days. I could go on but I'm just bored with it now. I've a fridge full of beer and a cupoard fool of spirits and it hasn't bothered me. That said I haven't been in a pub yet.

The upside has been the rest of my wallet and liver. On the other hand, I've not lost any weight, don't feel any "better" (apart from not missing the Fuzziness some mornings), my sleeping has got worse, energy levels are down a bit anf I have the tendancy to eat crap food.

I might become a weekend drinker and as long as I don't cane it, I shopuld be fine.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Am reminded of "hangover fridays" at work, having been out en masse the previous night. I've worked at places with massive boozing culture, founded by rugger buggers with a vast appetite for thursday night work functions, where everyone's spent friday sweating at their desks, trying not to puke (or die). Days where you get flashbacks of the absolute gibberish you spouted, and the appalling behaviour - or worse, when you've copped off with the office sloshbucket, and have to spend the day deflecting hilarious quips from absolutely bloody everyone, whilst avoiding her.

I don't miss those days.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

AnthraxDave wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:45 pm I'm going to turn the Social Media off again. Didn't miss it at all in January. I logged back in yesterday at realised why I had taken a break in the first place.
Didn’t you want to see a photo of Dave’s dinner or how about recommending a good florist for Brenda’s niece’s wedding?
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2018 likes

Post by Shabu »

On day 2 now after drinking quite a lot on holiday the last couple of weeks.

The goal is to last until my next trip (at least) which is May 16th but who knows.

Crappy weather here for the next couple of weeks (a high of 14 most days) so if the rain holds up I might be able to get some long runs in on the beach so switching endorphins
WHU Independent

Came off the waggon deliberately yesterday after 30 days on it. I Went to a pub and had 4 pints of London Pride, and came home and had a pint of Punk IPA.. I didn't get bollox drunk, didn't pass out, didn't do anything foolish. I had a good night.

I now know what i miss about going to the pub.

I miss the ritual of getting ready for the pub. The shower, the choosing of clothes that are not for home use or for shopping. Getting dressed in decent clothes, splashing on a bit of smellies and that last glance in the mirror to see that you are "pub ready."

Then there's the walk to the pub. I haven't walked that route for a month and I notced how things have changed. New lights, rubbish that had been around for 6 months or so removed, more house for sale etc etc.

Then there's being in the pub. The banter, the taste of a pint, discussions, the lack of restraint about taking about private stuff, engagement with people.

Then there is the walk home. A brisk walk in the very cold air, bringing you to your senses, the stinging wind so cold it makes your eyes water and makes it hard for you to take a deep breath. The dark lamp-less streets , which are so dark you can see the stars in the sky. The weak moom light showing your way home.

Finally home, getting in to the warm comfortable house, shedding off the pub clothes, putting on your stay at home gear and relaxing, with one final beer, that lasts from beginning to end of the film that you watch. The film that you would never usually watch but seems interesting now you've had a beer or 4.

Then the sleep. I slept like a log, for hours and hours. I woke up hangover free, well rested and ready to face the new day.

I couldn't see me doing this to go down the pub for a cup of tea/OJ.

I'll be off the beer for another period. Maybe befote I go to Ireland - maybe not.

I'm back in control, and I like it.
Polaroid
Has liked: 613 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Post by Polaroid »

Polaroid wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:56 am For those that want to drink less rather than quit altogether Adrian Chiles has a new book out called
"The Good Drinker: How I Learned to Love Drinking Less".
Just ordered a copy.
Done and dusted.
If anyone wants it, just pipe up and I'll send it.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Had quite a bit last night. First time I have drunk like that in the past two months. Didn't feel great today. won't do it again. However, one of the things that I have done is quit drinking at home, entirely. That was a New Year's resolution, which was a hangover from 'lockdown', when a natural reaction on a Friday was to crack a beer, and repeat on Saturday. Occasionally, that would have strayed into Thursday and/or Sunday too.

The Saturday mornings, waking up with a totally clear head are superb, and are more of a reward that the giddiness you get from a few beers, which you might pay for later.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Polaroid wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:23 am Done and dusted.
If anyone wants it, just pipe up and I'll send it.
Yes please mate. Happy to pay postage.
Polaroid
Has liked: 613 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Post by Polaroid »

RaddyKovac wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:27 am Yes please mate. Happy to pay postage.
You've got a PM mate.
WHU Independent

since Thursday I have had one medium sized glass of white wine with my sunday roast late PM yesterday.

Later on I stayed up to watch the whole of the superbowl without an alcoholic drink.

I'm pretty happy with that.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

I was back at my old job last week. Stressful, long hours etc. So I've been caning it every day from Tuesday. 6 pints Tuesday night, 7 or 8 Wednesday, a few plus wine Thursday, a few more plus wine Friday, more wine Saturday, more wine Sunday.

I didn't notice it so much in January when I stopped drinking, but I've noticed the last week that aside from the obvious hangovers, I've generally been more lethargic, tired in the mornings and through the day, red faced, blotchy skin and very bloated. That morning tiredness sets the tone for the day and makes me irritable I find.

Back at the new job this week, and even after one day off the booze I feel better today already.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

Today's the day, my whisky decanter is empty, although I've a litre of famous grouse unopened, I'll not cut down ( I've been doing a litre a week -10 days) I'll follow the same principle as when I gave up smoking.
I've not had a drink yesterday, and I'll not have one today, I'll try not to have one tomorrow.

I'm retired so the easiest thing in the world is to have a wee tipple, so I can't do the cut down route
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Drinking is one of the few pleasures left to me, but I need to quit as it's not helping my health problems. I've been on the wagon before, but it's going to be difficult. The pub is my refuge, and while I could still go, I wouldn't trust myself to not knock back a couple of pints. Let's see..
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

Tenbury wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:26 am Drinking is one of the few pleasures left to me, but I need to quit as it's not helping my health problems. I've been on the wagon before, but it's going to be difficult. The pub is my refuge, and while I could still go, I wouldn't trust myself to not knock back a couple of pints. Let's see..
And that's the problem with pubs.
I love pubs and they have been a major part of my life, every big and small occasion has ended up in the pub. Every family do, every Wedding, funeral, christening, West Ham win, West Ham loss etc has at some stage ended up with us all in some pub somewhere.
It's almost like an addiction, I associate pub life with all the good things and therefore it's a really hard habit to kick.
I've tried just drinking tonic water and I might get away with it for one night but the novelty soon wears off for me.
I also very rarely drink indoors.
Alcohol to me =the pub and vice versa.
Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by Chavs »

Polaroid already recommended it!

Also got a copy if anyone wants it sent to them PM me and would be happy for it to move around this thread, would seem a worthy purchase then

https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-go ... 1788163590
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Chavs wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:17 am Polaroid already recommended it!

Also got a copy if anyone wants it sent to them PM me and would be happy for it to move around this thread, would seem a worthy purchase then

https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-go ... 1788163590
What was the upshot of the book? Did he have to completely change his lifestyle in order not to drink as much as he used to? I remember watching a documentary with him in about drink a few years ago and it was highlighted to him just how much he actually drank - it was a considerable amount. His biggest downfall was wine which I've always said is a wolf in sheep's clothing due to it's high alcohol content.

*EDIT* - found the documentary, well worth a watch ...

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

GCRO launches another stealth attack on wine drinkers.

Joking aside, it's valid IMO - it is an acceptable way for the middle classes to maintain a high alcohol intake in a more socially acceptable way. My wife used to work for the Royal College of Physicians and she said they were always talking about how this sort of drinking was largely ignored by the press etc.
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

Like many, I realised after lockdown that we had probably been drinking too much, normally wine in the evenings at home (not a big pub scene or culture here).

We've massively cut down our weekly consumption - not to the point of abstinence, but at least by half! So far I've noticed that I sleep better, and don't feel fuzzy in the mornings. I'm hoping that the reduction in calories will soon start to show on my weight . . .

Don't think we could ever give up completely, but at least we know that we are not dependent!
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

EvilC wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:40 am GCRO launches another stealth attack on wine drinkers.
And by Christ they deserve it!
Joking aside, it's valid IMO - it is an acceptable way for the middle classes to maintain a high alcohol intake in a more socially acceptable way. My wife used to work for the Royal College of Physicians and she said they were always talking about how this sort of drinking was largely ignored by the press etc.
Indeed. Whereas beer (especially lager) is often seen as anti-social, the choice of drink of the under-class and at the root of many acts of violence, wine does tend to get an easy ride in the alcohol stakes. It's almost expected that with meals, wine is the perfect companion and positively encouraged which again leads to that almost stealth-like alcohol consumption. Champagne is often associated (and again almost expected) with any celebration. White wine and Rose is almost exclusively a women's social drink which raises an important point. When the subject of alcohol abuse is broached the it's usually associated with men but there's plenty of research to suggest that when women attain higher concentrations of alcohol in the blood they become more impaired than men after drinking equivalent amounts of alcohol. A simple factor being that in general men tend to be physically larger than women but there are also other factors too. It's also been proven that women sustain more severe organ damage in general from excessive alcohol consumption.