Sobriety

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1874 likes
Total likes: 2492 likes

Re: Sobriety

Post by dasnutnock3 »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:37 am I think that’s the last time I go out for Diet Coke. It’s the little things when everyone is merry. You get nudged in to and they don’t apologise because they don’t know they’ve done it. They won’t move out of the way when there’s no space at the bar. It’s the odd drunken comment they make which they consider lighthearted but, in reality, isn’t very nice.
I've always had a feeling that you see the real person when they've had a few. Nice people frequently turn into pricks when they've had a gutful, which makes you wonder how much they're suppressing their nasty side when they're sober.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:36 am I've always had a feeling that you see the real person when they've had a few. Nice people frequently turn into pricks when they've had a gutful, which makes you wonder how much they're suppressing their nasty side when they're sober.
Might be a bit over simplified. What if that person is having a really hard time?

It might simply be that they let lose due to having a couple. I know with myself that my mood makes a massive difference to how I am when I am drinking. Sometimes I can be massively cheerful and a good person to have around, other times you’re best off locking me up and throwing away the key until I have sobered up.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:36 am I've always had a feeling that you see the real person when they've had a few. Nice people frequently turn into pricks when they've had a gutful, which makes you wonder how much they're suppressing their nasty side when they're sober.
I'd counter that with supressing a nasty side when sober, it exercises an admirable amount of self control. We've all got a side to us that we keep to ourselves because we have control of it. It's when the alcohol removed the notion of inhibition that it is a problem.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Anybody had anything beyond psychosomatic positive impact from CBD or any of the other nootropic-style drinks e.g. Three Spirits?
Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

RaddyKovac wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:16 pm Anybody had anything beyond psychosomatic positive impact from CBD or any of the other nootropic-style drinks e.g. Three Spirits?
My missus went through a phase of drinking cbd drinks every day. Usually one before work then one before bed. She said it calmed her down.

But now I got her to try gummies which have cbd & thc in them & works out to be about $2 a gummy. She has never slept better in her life.

I do them occasionally. Had one last night. Just 5mg of each.

I'm currently on 2 weeks without booze & craving biscuits & cakes all the time.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

One week sober today, KUMBers. I even stayed in last night which is almost unheard of for me. It’s been a combination of hospital appointment and job interviews but I feel so much physically and mentally better.

I’m definitely not quitting (everything in moderation) but cutting right down is good.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 272 likes
Total likes: 346 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Into the home straight now: 4th and final week on the wagon.Was tempted this weekend (BBQ + sun = beer etc.) but only fleetingly.

I am looking forward to the first beer next Sunday (and the gig that it will be at) but not craving it. Feeling better, sleeping well, beer gut has diminished....Result!
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 411 likes

Post by PF. »

Passed every test thrown at me so far, and another one soon to land as I head to Amsterdam for the weekend for the SF.

I've been thinking a lot about this and my 'bad-self' was telling me that a weekend on the drink wouldn't hurt. It's clear (to me) that my problem with substances hasn't gone away (it never will) and whilst I have previously turned down similar trips to avoid being in the situation, this time I'm tackling it head on and will abstain - to prove to myself that I can. I owe it to my wife and kids.

Sober since 17th July 2021. And staying that way. :thup:

Well done to those on similar journeys.
Jennings
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by Jennings »

PF. wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:18 am Passed every test thrown at me so far, and another one soon to land as I head to Amsterdam for the weekend for the SF.

I've been thinking a lot about this and my 'bad-self' was telling me that a weekend on the drink wouldn't hurt. It's clear (to me) that my problem with substances hasn't gone away (it never will) and whilst I have previously turned down similar trips to avoid being in the situation, this time I'm tackling it head on and will abstain - to prove to myself that I can. I owe it to my wife and kids.

Sober since 17th July 2021. And staying that way. :thup:

Well done to those on similar journeys.
With that amount of self awareness I reckon you'll pass the test with flying colours, PF.

What you describe as your 'bad self' can also be described as your 'addictive voice'. Continue to disassociate from it and you'll continue to stay clean.

PF.

Post by PF. »

Exactly that. Thanks mate.
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

Booze free bank holiday for me which is a first. Got to say it's been lovely. Chilling out today hangover free and not dreading work tomorrow. Definitely the way forward.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Hosted a bbq yesterday. Had some 1% ciders and 0% beers and didn’t feel like I wasn’t enjoying myself. The other adults all hit the booze and seemed to have fun, too, but I don’t think they enjoyed themselves more than I did and I didn’t wake up with a sore head this morning. Still had to get up for a piss twice overnight, which was annoying, but that’s another “drink event” I’ve enjoyed without needing a drink.
Eastcote
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Eastcote »

I think I am kind of letting the side down, I am currently sitting in the living area on a all inclusive TUI break to Corfu, already had three large G&T's before dinner yes I know its dosnt taste the same but still comes out the other end. So I see myseld as a bit of a Arthur Masuaku! Dont worry its bloody freezing here overcast 19* till Thursday then sun for the next for days :newthumb: :pray: :pra
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I have an early start tomorrow so I’m hopefully staying in. The pub was soul destroying last night because there was barely anyone out. Whilst I don’t count, I think I only had three pints of average strength lager before heading home. I was that bored.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1681 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Haven't had a drink for over a week now. Was going to have a beer last night watching the footie, but "I forgot" to have one.

In fact with a lot of things going on in my life, i thought I would have turned to drink. But no, it totally seemed to have slipped off my radar.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

500 days without drink for me today (pats self on back.) on to 500 more.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

This is a fantastically interesting thread.
Well worth reading from the beginning.
PF.

Post by PF. »

wolf359 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:09 pm 500 days without drink for me today (pats self on back.) on to 500 more.
Congratulations mate.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Talking about scotch now that DL's headed north, makes me realise that it's only really spirits that I miss. A life without wine isn't a big issue, and alcohol free beer & cider just makes me wonder why I bothered with the alcoholic stuff for so long. 0% beer is all of the upside (tastes much the same to me, can chug it all night long if I want to then drive home, half the calories of the alcoholic stuff) with none of the downside (dehydration, can't drive, feel rough the next morning etc, don't have to worry about turning into a drunk twat etc).

But yeah, I do miss the taste of spirits a bit, but not enough that I want to go back to drinking them.
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1582 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

pretty same here, the only thing I miss from all that buzz jazz is taste of whisky. When I start thinking too long about it I force myself to think about situations from my life when I overdose it, it helps ;-)