Sobriety

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 483 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Re: Sobriety

Post by Monkeybubbles »

I haven't had a drink since Christmas, but my mate's dad died this week and he's asked if I can go for a curry and a few beers with him on Saturday (he doesn't realise I've totally packed it in, I've just said I'm cutting back). I will, of course, but I'm totally sure that I will get straight back on the wagon. I really don't miss those big boozy nights.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:58 pm I haven't had a drink since Christmas, but my mate's dad died this week and he's asked if I can go for a curry and a few beers with him on Saturday (he doesn't realise I've totally packed it in, I've just said I'm cutting back). I will, of course, but I'm totally sure that I will get straight back on the wagon. I really don't miss those big boozy nights.
Go down the alcohol free beer route .... all sorted
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 483 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:09 pm Go down the alcohol free beer route .... all sorted
TBF, I'm actually quite looking forward to having a few pints and then switching off again. It'll be curry house lager, so I don't suppose it gets the GCRO seal of approval. And I suppose it's barely beer at all.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 864 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

wolf359 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:09 pm 500 days without drink for me today (pats self on back.) on to 500 more.
Well done dude, great achievement.

I learned a lot during my stint of sobriety (1227 days). Enough so that I feel comfortable now having a drink or two on a special occasion and that's it.

I used to be able to drink a dozen pints and not be that bad the next day. I had two IPAs the other week, which at the time felt like enough and didn't want any more, but was battered the next day with achy legs and some weird beer shits.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Leaving Amsterdam in a couple of hours and proud to say I didn’t touch the beer. :newthumb:
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I had a good weekend for obvious reasons but am behaving myself again now.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

I've been happy with my "sobriety" lately - going out once a week, having 4 [pints and maybe one or two more when I get in. I've cut down a lot and was happy the way it was going - until Sunday.

For some reason, after I'd been to a convention, instead of going home, I headed down my local social club to watch the game... big mistake.

6 pints later I come home and had another pint at home. I thought I was going to go "on one" for the day, but I amanaged to pull myself round, and drunk tea for the rest of the afternoon evening.

I was hugely disappointed with myself.

My mate, who hasn't drunk for 6 months because he is on tablets, has lost a shed load of weight and I may followi in his footsteps at the end of July. I've got events that will mean i will probably drink until then, but I'm determined to go to back to drinking once a week until then.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I pay something like £25 a month for Sky Sports on NowTV which prevents the need to go out to watch the match. With lots of migration from Merseyside here, the last thing Liverpool fans want in a pub is someone watching City and getting a bit animated. I can also stream Wales on S4C via iPlayer. If I have no beer in the flat (very achievable) then there’s no ability to drink!

I’d go out in Liverpool a little more often but too many bars insist on singers as entertainment (I’ve left when they’ve come on stage) and, at weekends, you can’t move for stags and hens.
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

Whilst I haven't stayed sober, I have cut down the beer massively. I've lost 2 stone since the start of the year. It is obviously the beer, because my diet is still the same - Lots of Pasta, etc. Could ideally lose another 2 stone, but I am happy in my own skin and never likely to win any bodybuilder awards.

Got randomly invited to one of them medical MOT things by my GP Surgery last week because I'm in my 40's, and my blood pressure is perfect, as are my cholesterol levels. Given that my parents have chronic issues with both (and their parents did, too) I am quite chuffed with myself.

Will have a couple of beers on my chair in the garden tomorrow, listening to our game on the radio. Will take the dogs out for a massive 2 hour walk in the morning, to counterbalance my afternoon laziness.

I actually really like the zero alcohol Rheinbacher beer I get from Aldi. It is a nicer drink than anything alcoholic.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm sober the majority of the time. It's not really due to any health reason. I've just gotten older and can't really be arsed with it anymore. I prefer the feeling of being sober than the feeling of being drunk. I'm quite a laid back person really. Probably the most nonchalant person you'll ever meet. I'm happy having a few drinks but when I do, the people around me also tend to be having a few drinks as I don't drink alone. When that happens then the people around me start to become louder and argumentative and I don't like that. I like to be chilled out, not worrying about anything, and just enjoying life. That's why I don't care about drinking because I generally am already in that kind of mood without it. My missus on the other hand starts to get a bit whiney when she drinks, and starts arguing over silly little things that I might mention. That spoils my mood. I always think at that point that I was enjoying the day more before we started drinking.

Also, maybe it's just because I'm becoming a bit of a old boring git. I love quiet. It's the thing I value the most. I can happily spend the day alone with nothing other my own thoughts for company. The constant chitter chatter of other people tends to grate nowadays. I never go out because pubs are too loud. I can't relax in them. People get a little too raucous and that makes me a little uncomfortable because I struggle to ever get in that state myself. It's a bit of a fault really in myself really because I tend to be quite emotionally numb. I never seem to be able to relate to other people who have been drinking. I was like that even as a 20 year old. I was always the guy that disappeared around 11pm without telling anyone because I was bored out of my skill just walking in circles around a pub or club, annoyed that I couldn't sit down anywhere or even have a conversation because everything was just too loud.

I'm glad I don't have to participate in that kind of nonsense anymore. I may have an occasional double shot of spiced rum on a saturday night whilst watching a movie, or share a bottle of wine of rare occasions such as bank holiday Monday's, or long summer walks in the countryside where we'll stop midway at some country pub. I never get drunk though as I hate the feeling. Feeling a little tipsy is about as far as I'll go.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

With the Bundesliga, play off final and boxing later, I’d normally have a big day of sport in the pub. Instead, I invested £25 a month on Sky Sports with NowTV and I’m drinking nothing stronger than tea.

I’ll still drink when I go to football but am generally relaxing now.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I’ve no idea why but I have four bottles of lager in the fridge tonight to go with the boxing In Bournemouth but I’ve no inclination to drink them. I actually just don’t want to.

Something in me has changed.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Night off. It's all groovy
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

I fell of the wagon again, but slowly does it, I've been just over two weeks without. Now to do another two weeks.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I go out every Saturday night. I have since lockdown was lifted. I think this is the beginning of the end of it.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:56 pm Night off. It's all groovy
That was great fun, but I don't feel like letting that become habitual.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

I was at a bbq yesterday, sat by a river with my Kopperberg zero, person next to me popped open a tin of brewdog and for pretty much the first time in my 500+ days I thought ‘I could murder a beer’.

I was driving and didn’t but there is something about the sun, dubiously cooked meat and a cold beer.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I’ve been up for hours and am now waiting for Asda to open. I feel so fresh.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Went to the 41st Lincoln Beer festival yesterday, so my once a week drinking failed again. That said I did get to try seven decent beers. (I was drinking halves.)
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

I'm going to pretend sobriety isn't for me anyway on Wednesday...and if the result goes the way we all hope, probably the rest of the week too