Sobriety

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Re: Sobriety

Post by bonzosbeard »

Sticky wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:56 pm God willing on the 24th of this month - I'll be 3 years clean and sober after 20 years of active addiction.

Never knew I was allergic to drink and drugs. Ha!

If anyone is in trouble - then please PM me.
Well done.
Dieter Eckstein
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 281 likes

Post by Dieter Eckstein »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:24 pm where can I get alcohol free Guinness? Asda don't seem to sell it, well not our one anyways.

:newthumb:
I also found some in a little Waitrose. Certainly wasn't cheap, but it's kept me booze-free for 18 days, so far. Without doubt it's the best alcohol-free beer I've had for tricking the brain into thinking it's enjoying the real thing. That said, I'm pretty sure that if I had a real pint of Guinness now, it would taste like the nectar of the gods.

I've definitely noticed that I'm sleeping a bit better and don't look as knackered as usual. I've also felt better equipped to deal with a very stressful period at work. January is feeling very very long, though.
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Sticky wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:56 pm God willing on the 24th of this month - I'll be 3 years clean and sober after 20 years of active addiction.

Never knew I was allergic to drink and drugs. Ha!

If anyone is in trouble - then please PM me.
I'm guessing not the Viking Gods :grin:

Seriously though, congratulations Mate. You're brilliant. I can't imagine what three years off would feel like. Physically, mentally & moneywise.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Dieter Eckstein wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:53 pm I've definitely noticed that I'm sleeping a bit better and don't look as knackered as usual. I've also felt better equipped to deal with a very stressful period at work. January is feeling very very long, though.
More than halfway through the month, mate.
Keep up the good work! :newthumb:
Has liked: 4368 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by Sticky »

Shabu wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:16 pm I'm guessing not the Viking Gods :grin:

Seriously though, congratulations Mate. You're brilliant. I can't imagine what three years off would feel like. Physically, mentally & moneywise.
Ha! 5 different conceptions of 'God' in the last 3 years.. now I just know it to be 'Love' - learning to love yourself and forgive other people, and trying not to be a selfish self obsessed d*ckhead (and failing a lot) - It's not easy having a human experience.

Thank you Sir - completely revolutionised my life tbh.
Changes in perceptions and beliefs, different attitude, different lease on life - different relationship with self-discipline and motivation - I've achieved loads from learning to ride a motorbike, to being an extra on a TV show, going travelling on my own - to college and now studying at university. All at the grand old age of 41 (as of today) - prior to that I did f*ck all really. Chatted sh*t a lot and had good intentions. 😅

Each to their own obviously. I just couldn't drink or use drugs safely. If I could, then I probably would. I don't think I would feel as content as I do now tho.

Feel blessed to have had two polar opposite experiences of the same thing - life's weird but we'll all be alright in the end.

Hope springs eternal. ✌🏻⚒️
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I'm rather enjoying this not drinking lark, and am giving some thought to seeing if I can make it to Easter. Have been exercising with decent commitment, too, and have dropped close to half a stone. Would be lovely to get back to some semblance of proper fitness and I think keeping booze out of the equation may well be key there. Just seems like the right thing to do.

I blame lockdown and WFH for all this. I wasn't much of a drinker, and I was never sedentary, until the pandemic hit.
Upminster Hammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by Upminster Hammer »

My drinking increased during lockdown because it was the only thing that distinguished night from day
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

Another recommendation for those after 0% stuff. Aldi do a surprisingly delicious Pilsner. 6*330ml bottles for about £2.50....And it is really, really nice.

*edit* Link
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Fell off the wagon last night.

The missus fault. She wanted to go to the cinema and the film was sh!te so halfway though I got a beer :lol:

Then went to a bar.

Then bought a bottle of wine.

Back on the wagon now.

P.s. the film was Plane with Gerard Butler. It was more like an episode of a show than an actual film.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Upminster Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:37 pm My drinking increased during lockdown because it was the only thing that distinguished night from day
Same. I was an avid beer drinker anyway, and big craft beer fan, so it really was the perfect storm.

Nothing to do, stuck at home, extra cash because I wasn't going out, doing a boring as f**k job that required very little brain power and I could do hungover, loads of craft breweries quickly spinning up websites so you could order direct, Tesco craft beer range exploding...

All in all - not good.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Happy birthday, Sticky! :scarfer:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Shabu wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:32 pm Then bought a bottle of wine.
Dude ...
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:55 pm Dude ...
Once I start :lol:
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I go out almost every single Friday night but I’m tempted to stay in this time. I’m up early for Buxton v Hereford on Saturday and feel a clear head might be beneficial for a long day. There’s also Eubank Jr v Smith on in the evening.

Whilst I want to support the pub, I know I rarely leave until closing time when I do.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Let myself down yesterday. Was at Liverpool street station and had ages before my train.

Just the one. But my god, that Peroni tasted divine... back on the wagon until at least the end of the month.
bonzosbeard

Post by bonzosbeard »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:07 am Let myself down yesterday. Was at Liverpool street station and had ages before my train.

Just the one. But my god, that Peroni tasted divine... back on the wagon until at least the end of the month.
Well that's the thing. Don't beat yourself up over it. I'm going to think long and hard before I have a drink, but not give up.

I got into the habit of sitting in Saturday or Sunday afternoons drinking watching sport. I don't need those ones. But occasionally I might want a real ale or two if out for the day somewhere.

This hopefully will establish me with a better relationship with alcohol. If it doesn't and I go back to bad habits I will re evaluate it.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Two pints of neck oil yesterday. First of the year.

Utterly superb. Tasted even sweeter for the break. Definitely a motivator to leave a gap between drinking days.
bonzosbeard

Post by bonzosbeard »

I went on a two week all inclusive last year. I wont go for so long next time as by second week despite all the booze already paid for and avaliable you do get a bit sick of it. You really do.
Dieter Eckstein
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 281 likes

Post by Dieter Eckstein »

Massive test last night. Went to a pub quiz in a new pub, with a mate who was drinking Guinness. First time in this particular pub and had a nice chat with the very old school landlord before asking him what alcohol free options he had. Fortunately, he had some Heineken 0% in the fridge, which was all right, but I was very very close to breaking. I think the only thing that stopped me was the fact that my mate was trying to get me to have a pint, and I would have felt like a right pushover if I'd gone "yeah, why not". This last 11 days is going to be tough, as I'll be back in the same pub next week. Definitely didn't enjoy being in the pub as much as if I'd had a drink, but did feel a lot fresher than usual this morning. This currently feels like an exercise in proving a point to myself more than anything else!

Keep going everyone, and to those who have succumbed to the temptation of a pint, don't beat yourselves up. One drink/drinking evening in a month is still bloody good going.
Polaroid
Has liked: 613 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Polaroid »

For those that want to drink less rather than quit altogether Adrian Chiles has a new book out called
"The Good Drinker: How I Learned to Love Drinking Less".
An easy read mixture of wit and wisdom ... should be read by all who drink more than the limit'
Prof David Nutt, author of Drink? The New Science of Alcohol and Your Health

The popular broadcaster and columnist sets out to discover the unsung pleasures of drinking in moderation.

The recommended alcohol limit is 14 units a week. Adrian Chiles used to put away almost 100. Ever since he was a teenager, drinking was his idea of a good time - and not just his, but seemingly the whole nation's. Still, it wasn't very good for him: the doctor made that clear. If you lined them up, Adrian must have knocked back three miles of drinks. How many of them had he genuinely wanted? A mile?

There's an awful lot of advice out there on how to quit booze completely. If you just want to drink a bit less, the pickings are slim. Yet while the alcohol industry depends on a minority of problem drinkers, the majority really do enjoy in moderation. What's their secret? Join the inimitable Chiles as he sets out around Britain and plumbs his only slightly fuzzy memories of a lifetime in pubs in a quest to find the good drinker within.
Just ordered a copy.