Sobriety

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Re: Sobriety

Post by wolf359 »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:34 pm I would encourage people to let their hair down every now and again as it does you the world of good.

We had karaoke on last night and it was standing room only by 9pm. Everyone in good spirits too.
Rest and relaxation is good and needed, but you don't need alcohol to do that 389 days off the pop here (Dry Jan part 2 almost done.) I get more from the gym and a good walk than going out or drinking these days (but we all got to find our own 'let off steam valve.')
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2699 likes

Post by sendô »

sendô wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:04 pm I’m into the home stretch. One more weekend.
I thought this last week would be easy, but honestly I'm struggling right now.

Work have dumped a lot of responsibility on me at a new project - a work load that led to the person previously doing the job I am now doing to quit - plus given me extra responsibility which in itself has masses of paperwork because nothing is set up properly, and now a big design pack of info that I thought was going to be subbed out has now landed on my lap.

It needs to be done asap to release install which allows us to hit key dates etc etc, but I have no prior job knowledge so need to search for every bit of info and build from scratch. If I f*** it up I wont know for months until the point where it will be a disaster. If I'd been here for a few months I'd have more background knowledge and might have more of a chance of getting things sorted but with my other workload I have no chance.

I've barely slept the last two nights, waking up five, six, seven times a night thinking about work. Even when I'm sleeping I'm dreaming of ****ing work. Yet I know if I get drunk before bed I'll sleep through and feel refreshed in the morning.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2648 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by EvilC »

Sorry to hear that Sendo. Work are bastards.
wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

sendô wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:15 am I thought this last week would be easy, but honestly I'm struggling right now.
I know it sound obvious but is there anyone you can go to at work about this? Could the project be split etc. No one should feel like this about work.

Getting pissed sounds like a good idea (you didn't say drink to excess but in a stressed situation it could go that way) but ultimately it is not, you'l feel even more **** the next day and it could then just spiral (but I am sure you know that.)

Good luck with it all.
sendô

Post by sendô »

wolf359 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:03 am I know it sound obvious but is there anyone you can go to at work about this?
Yes, I can have it out with the Project Director who is too stubborn to spend a few grand subbing it out on a project worth over £100m, because it is the guy who has left who has offered to do it for a cost.

The trouble is, I have previous with him and I'm trying to behave myself. I've tried working it from other angles through other people but frankly no-one else has the b*llocks to tell him it'll likely end badly if we don't swallow our collective pride and pay for someone else to do it.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

sendô wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:13 am Yes, I can have it out with the Project Director who is too stubborn to spend a few grand subbing it out on a project worth over £100m, because it is the guy who has left who has offered to do it for a cost.

The trouble is, I have previous with him and I'm trying to behave myself. I've tried working it from other angles through other people but frankly no-one else has the b*llocks to tell him it'll likely end badly if we don't swallow our collective pride and pay for someone else to do it.
Then that's exactly what you need to tell him Sendo, that way after you have highlighted that the project worth 100M is at risk due to HIS stubbornness than if if goes tits up you should not be blamed as you flagged it early. You may have previous with him but you are still entitled to bring it up as you can see it's going to go belly up.

If you soldier on and it does go wrong that same prick will say to you in front of the boss why didn't you tell us.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 481 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

AH, thing is if no one else is kicking up a stink there's the risk that you'll be seen as a 'bit of a whinger'. But I make you right, not saying anything is a pathway to having the blame laid on your shoulders when the nasty stuff hits the fan.

Sendo, how about halfway house? Smoke a massive doobie before bedtime, will knock you out for the night. :winker:
sendô

Post by sendô »

Yeah Hummer is right. What makes it hard will be the usual "well everything you do should only take x minutes" etc. Then it'll be the "well what else have you got? We'll get someone to help you" which of course will either never happen, or it'll be something like getting the secretary or apprentice to "help" which just means I'll still need to check everything they do anyway.

I've already had one of the mech guys tell me to "just use what they did for the other half of the building, and change all the As to Bs".

A big spliff would be nice. It's been a few years since I've had one. It's a shame work do random drugs testing really. :D
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 481 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

^^^ TBF, that is one of the things I loved about working interim. Had some idiots who loaded me up with shed loads of responsibility, told them that it wouldn't work - was told make it work.

So I told them '..see ya later...' :crylol:

Now I share your pain - having to do a BREEAM assessment on a building which clearly will not achieve anything like it needs to to get the 'excellent' rating, but no one has the money, nor do we have the time now to get it done.

But I have until September to deliver it.. :crylol: .. :swear:
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1867 likes
Total likes: 2489 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Whoever recommended the Aldi pilsner - very nice, if a little lacking in depth of flavour. Can’t argue with £3 for 6x330ml though.

I think I actually prefer hoppy beers if I’m having 0%, but I’m not a fan when the booze is left in.
Shabu
Has liked: 4186 likes
Total likes: 2047 likes

Post by Shabu »

Day 3 (again). Going to Mexico Monday night for ten days so I won't see day 6 although I can always try again when I get back.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Shabu wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:48 pm Day 3 (again). Going to Mexico Monday night for ten days so I won't see day 6 although I can always try again when I get back.
I'm going to Mexico in August, and can imagine that breaking what would be a nearly 4 years sober.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Went to the pub after work last night and had 6 or 7. Horrible hangover today. Still, 4 weeks off isnt bad, and in all honesty drinking last night has made me realise why I want to drink less in general, and avoid drinking to excess when I do.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:31 pm I'm going to Mexico in August, and can imagine that breaking what would be a nearly 4 years sober.
Where are you going
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

sendô wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:40 pm Went to the pub after work last night and had 6 or 7. Horrible hangover today. Still, 4 weeks off isnt bad, and in all honesty drinking last night has made me realise why I want to drink less in general, and avoid drinking to excess when I do.
There's a big chunk of me that LOVES drinking.

There's another smaller chunk that LOVES waking up sober.

I just have to learn to make the 2nd chunk bigger than the 1st chunk
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1867 likes
Total likes: 2489 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

If I do go back to drinking, I seriously don’t want to find myself drinking to excess any more. It stopped being fun decades ago. Plus I know far too many people that are unbearable on the pop. As it stands now, I’d be quite happy to give it the elbow for good, even if I don’t think it’ll happen.
chelmsfordhammer91

Shabu wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:01 pm Where are you going
Somewhere in Cancun. Can't remember the exact place, but it's meant to be one of the smaller resorts.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:06 pm Somewhere in Cancun. Can't remember the exact place, but it's meant to be one of the smaller resorts.
Nice. When I started sailing down there there was just Cancun (& their beaches) & Playa del Carmen. Now there's loads of resorts all the way down.

Xel-A was a fun watert-ype park to go to with a great lazy river. & I went to a full moon rave at Tulum one night which was top notch.
chelmsfordhammer91

Yeah last time we was in Cancun (Royalton Riviera I think), we were looking to go to that water park. Looks fantastic.

Might do it this time whilst we are there, but I'm just a bit hesitant of taking the kids out as they'll be 6 and 2 (youngest's birthday during the holiday).
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2175 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:37 pm Whoever recommended the Aldi pilsner - very nice, if a little lacking in depth of flavour. Can’t argue with £3 for 6x330ml though.

I think I actually prefer hoppy beers if I’m having 0%, but I’m not a fan when the booze is left in.
I've had some criticism about low or zero beers.

If you are comparing to alcohol equivalent it's a no brainer.

They dont taste the same apart from guinness Imo.

BUT if you are trying to not drink for a fortnight and climbing the walls at the thought of another coke or orangeade then I think a 0.0 or 0.5 (allowed) Guinness, Adnams ghost ship, Heineken will help with a dryer, hoppy, more adult flavour. Helped me.

I did my target of 24 days. I'm aiming for at least 12 more drink free days in next 15.

If you are going dry, don't cheat, but if you want a hoppy flavour try a non alcohol instead of soft drin