Sobriety

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Re: Sobriety

Post by fjthegrey »

It's a total and utter farce that we can't get those sorts of things over here, but we can buy 80% proof spirits in whatever quantity we like.
Shabu
Has liked: 4187 likes
Total likes: 2050 likes

Post by Shabu »

fjthegrey wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:00 pm It's a total and utter farce that we can't get those sorts of things over here, but we can buy 80% proof spirits in whatever quantity we like.
Hopefully it'll happen soon enough. 21 States now have this kind of thing & once Sunek sees how much tax revenue can be made he'll be all over it.

It feels nice having them. I know that I can never have just one drink. It's always drink to oblivion. But these gummies I can just do one & forget about it.

I'll definitely need to buy more caffeine free tea :grin:

The funny thing was asking female colleagues in their 30s-50s for advice & they're telling me which strains to look for & what quantity etc. Was only a generation ago they would have frowned upon it while taking big pharmaceutical drugs as the safe option.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

I don't think it'll be a conservative government that brings in Cannabis legalisation personally.

And I think it'll be a decade before it's palatable to the general voting public here, sadly.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2180 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

-DL- wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:25 pm Tbh, I'm starting to increase my alcohol consumption again to pretty crap levels.

I went almost 11 years without, aside from the odd one with a meal - but because I've got this freedom I've not had for christ knows how long, my intake is going up, and up, and up.

I really need to nip it in the bud and sort it out, but I'm kind of at a point now where I've been doing it so often, I'm now going to find it difficult.

What a ****ing idiot. 🙄
If you're struggling try to get in some dry day's if you haven't got any already or aim just for weekends. I think for many of us it's a struggle so just being aware of it and trying to cut down is a great start.

There are people out there who wouldn't even chat about it on a forum like this, let alone think they have a problem.

And DL you've been through a lot. Don't be hard on yourself.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

bonzosbeard wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:28 pm And DL you've been through a lot. Don't be hard on yourself.
Seconded, don't beat yourself up about it.

No way would I be in any way as centered as you are with everything that's gone on in your life.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1868 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

The day I can go to a shop and buy some nice mild crumbly hashish that doesn’t send me to outer space will be a great one.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:50 pm The day I can go to a shop and buy some nice mild crumbly hashish that doesn’t send me to outer space will be a great one.
And society will be better for it.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:50 pm The day I can go to a shop and buy some nice mild crumbly hashish that doesn’t send me to outer space will be a great one.
now my kids are older having been thinking about going over to amsterdam for odd weekends, just to sample their wares. Southend airport not too far form me, so with a bit of planning, shoudn't be too expensive.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

fjthegrey wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:51 pm And society will be better for it.
bit rude to say that about our Dan...
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:52 pm bit rude to say that about our Dan...
He makes a valid point, IMO.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:51 pm now my kids are older having been thinking about going over to amsterdam for odd weekends, just to sample their wares. Southend airport not too far form me, so with a bit of planning, shoudn't be too expensive.
I’ve not done “weed tourism” for about 20 years, but there was a lot to be said for enjoying a cold beer and a mild jazz-snout in Amsterdam & Rotterdam. Actually the ones in Rotterdam were better, as they were all locals and not a load of stella’d up scousers and stag parties.

Not sure what things are like these days, now things have been cleaned up over there. Might be worth researching other cities - Rotterdam, Maastricht etc all had puff bars back then, and were a little bit less touristy.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Over the past two weekends, I have had two beers. Funny, after two months not doing it, I have gradually moved away from boozing at home. I felt this was a habit worth breaking, which had been a hangover from covid. To delineate one day from the next, having a few beers on a Friday and Saturday was a good way of marking the weekend, and closing the laptop. But once I returned to the office (albeit 3 days a week), it would have made sense to break the habit then, but I let it ride. So, after work finished on Friday (usually a WFH day), I could crack a beer, and a few more before I had dinner made.

This now means that unless I am in the pub, I am less interested in having a beer. This controls the alcohol intake, and in turns limits my capacity for pints. Once I hit the 3/4 pints in the pub, that's when self-discipline must kick in, as at that point the dopamine hit from the first pint has past, and it is the silly drunken stage that seems to widen capacity for more pints, and also throws off inhibitions, and often leads to a takeaway on the way home, and some sweets before heading to bed.

I'm not totally sober, and probably not really interested in going that direction, but two months in, I will say, I prefer my headspace and mindset, and it reflects what it was like pre-lockdown.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Cut loose last night and had 4 units of alcohol, leaving me with a headache for most of the day. Clearly my tolerance has vanished after 2 months off the sauce, but was a not unwelcome reminder to keep me off it 👍
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

-DL- wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:25 pm Tbh, I'm starting to increase my alcohol consumption again to pretty crap levels.

I went almost 11 years without, aside from the odd one with a meal - but because I've got this freedom I've not had for christ knows how long, my intake is going up, and up, and up.

I really need to nip it in the bud and sort it out, but I'm kind of at a point now where I've been doing it so often, I'm now going to find it difficult.

What a ****ing idiot. 🙄
11 years is very, very admirable. I did six months in my early 20’s and four months when I had depression. Aside from that, I’ve always drank.

I went to a match today and only had two pints beforehand. We were in the pub but that’s all I fancied. It’s unheard of for me. I was happy and able to take the game in so I think I’ll carry it on.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

Not had any for a week - hopefully, lesson learned and I don't slip back in to it.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

-DL- wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:09 am Not had any for a week - hopefully, lesson learned and I don't slip back in to it.
:newthumb:

I don't think that there's anything wrong with an occassional blow-out, makes you realise sometimes that actually it either didn't help, or that sometimes you just need to let it go. Either way, (as long as it isn't a regular thing - which was my problem - every weekend starting mostly on a Friday, but sometimes on the Thursday through to Saturday night I'd drink to massive excess), I don't see any real harm in it. Good luck fella.
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:59 pm Cut loose last night and had 4 units of alcohol, leaving me with a headache for most of the day. Clearly my tolerance has vanished after 2 months off the sauce, but was a not unwelcome reminder to keep me off it 👍
Snap! Although for me it was Thursday (work drinks), and Saturday (club night). On Saturday, I also ordered Deliveroo as I walked home. Didnt feel bad yesterday, as I primarily stuck to Guinness, but still, a good reminder. Unlikely to have a similar situation for a few weeks at least.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

-DL- wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:09 am Not had any for a week - hopefully, lesson learned and I don't slip back in to it.
Sounds like my sex life :grin:

Joking aside though well done mate :muscle:
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Anyone else find that the more they start thinking about "staying sober", AF options etc, the more they think about actually drinking?
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

RaddyKovac wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:52 am Anyone else find that the more they start thinking about "staying sober", AF options etc, the more they think about actually drinking?
It has certainly crossed my mind. And its interesting to see the spread of people who are discussing it. Some are just 'mid-lane drinkers', who felt it was time to knock booze on the head to avoid being stuck in a cycle around alcohol. In particular they seemed to be people who would be sober Monday, and Tuesday, have one on Wednesday, go a little harder on Thursday, totally smash Friday evening, and Saturday, and then something on Sunday. I think as they aged, the hangovers were probably hitting harder, and they were just feeling rubbish on Monday and Tuesday.

Others were 'vodka in the water bottle' types that it was a seven day a week thing, and they were gradually doing detrimental harm to their health, relationship, career, and general well-being.