Sobriety

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Re: Sobriety

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Something somewhere has gone tick in my head and I’ve cut right down. I still drink but it’s not as regular as it was.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

RaddyKovac wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:52 am Anyone else find that the more they start thinking about "staying sober", AF options etc, the more they think about actually drinking?
I didn't I am now almost 440 days in and my hardest day was day 2 (Watching us struggle against Crystal Palace iirc) Now I don't even think about it, I just (for now) don't drink, I've gone off the 0% too. May not stay that way forever but it is where I am now.

For me it is an amazing change, there was a point where I'd pour a glass of wine after a shitty day at work before taking my coat off.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

RaddyKovac wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:52 am Anyone else find that the more they start thinking about "staying sober", AF options etc, the more they think about actually drinking?
Not for me.

The problem I'm currently having (not even sure it's a problem) is that the detrimental effects of just a couple of drinks are so much more noticeable now than they have been previously. When I drank more regularly, I'd barely notice the effects of a couple of drinks during an evening say. Nice little buzz, everything fine. Now that I rarely drink, having a couple still creates the pleasant buzz, but the negative side is so much more pronounced. Possibly it's psychosomatic or just a newfound self awareness but I can literally feel the comedown once I've stopped, I'm so much more conscious of the effects on my sleep, I can feel how disturbed my nights are.

It seems to make more sense to not drink at all than have a few every now and then, given how the negatives display for me now.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1638 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Not had a drink since last Thursday but going to have 4/5 pints tonight. Once a week isn't a bad thing.
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1511 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

AF beers helped me a lot to quit alcohol in my case; I drunk a lot of them as I was struggling without the taste of beer. After year or so I do not need them anymore and drink it sporadically, but who knows if I would be sober still without that erzac thingy at the beginning of my way to stay sober
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:16 pmIt seems to make more sense to not drink at all than have a few every now and then, given how the negatives display for me now.
My thoughts entirely. Given how rough I felt after 4 units the night before (the equivalent of less than 2 pints of fosters), there seems little point in going near it any more. I’ll stick to 0% beers for the foreseeable and be the designated sober guy here on out.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I am back on, having had 2022 dry.

However, similar to fj above, I am getting through a can or two and it just feels like a sedative at the moment.

I used to like coming home from work and enjoying a beer or two around the process of getting fed and relaxing into the evening, but recently, having bowled in with a 4 pack of beers, I open one, enjoy that and then struggle even to be bothered to finish the second one.

By 2000 or so, my eyelids are getting heavy and I've pretty much wasted the rest of the day.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I only had a few pints last night and have already had breakfast, a haircut, Asda shop and lunch. After a usual session I’d still be in bed now. I’ve legitimately got bored of drinking.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:38 pm I only had a few pints last night and have already had breakfast, a haircut, Asda shop and lunch. After a usual session I’d still be in bed now. I’ve legitimately got bored of drinking.
Yeah but you are only eating carrots and hummus, tbf, so not much prep or shopping required and all your hair has probably already all fallen out.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Ended up in a pub in Upminster for a pre-Paddy's Day celebration. Suffice it to say, I won't be celebrating the day too vigorously after that! But I had some Guinness Nitrosurge cans that I won't be touching today.
WHU Independent

After a week of not drinking, I Had a few beers watching the game and then started on the wine. Didn't feel good all morning and had to go back to bed in the afternoon. Not going to drink today, even though it's ST pat's day but will force myself (if I have to) to have a few beers tomorroq. It's the 4th anniversary of my best mates death. I will raise a glass to him - and he'd appricate that as he was an unrelenting alcoholic.
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Since starting this thread I've still managed to avoid wine completely (apart from one of those individual small bottles that I emptied into a beef casserole). Anyway, wine is evil stuff, I could never not finish a bottle and often opened a 2nd, would always fell asleep early and would then wake at 3am with no prospect of going back to sleep that night.

I do still drink on a daily basis though, but during the week its just a couple of cans of beer. I find I really enjoy the first one but the 2nd will make me feel a bit sick so unusual to go beyond this.

I must admit, smoking a bit of greenery is far more pleasant and makes me sleep like a baby. Crazy its the illegal option.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

V-M wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:12 pm Since starting this thread I've still managed to avoid wine completely
Anyway, wine is evil stuff
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I have this thread to thank for helping send me on this voyage of self-improvement. Tried dry January because I’d been drinking way too much since spring 2022, and took inspiration to continue on from this thread. I’m not completely off the drink but I think I’ve had something like 12 units in total since NYE, I’d do that in an afternoon without much thought last year.

The fact I’ve been struggling with covid the past 2 weeks or so hasn’t been brilliant but I suspect it would have been worse if I’d been trying to drink whilst dealing with the symptoms.

Just hope I can keep this up, because I see no reason not to. I thought I’d be bored without the drink, but I’m happy to chug away on 0% beer while other people are on the booze. Only downside is it’s just amplifying how boring people get when they’re on the pop. I seriously think if people were forced to watch footage of themselves when they’ve overdone it, they’d want to quit.
vpro
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by vpro »

Just past the 900 days now - onwards!
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

vpro wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:39 pm Just past the 900 days now - onwards!
Hope I never catch you up.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

I’ve had a single pint over a three week period. I had norovirus and since then I haven’t really felt like drinking. The one I did have was to be sociable because my brother in law was over from New Zealand.

I don’t drink much anyway and I’m trying to use this as an opportunity to lose a bit more weight.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I’m behaving myself at the moment. I was all done around 7pm and would normally have headed out over boredom. I’ve instead watched a film and then an episode of a series. I feel better mentally and physically already. It really is win win.

On top of that, it’s getting a bit meh around here recently. Nothing is bad, I’m just not enjoying my nights out at the moment.
WHU Independent

Not had a drink for a week, but will have a few pints at the pub quiz tomorrow. After this week, I deserve a couple :)
Polaroid
Has liked: 613 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Post by Polaroid »

Kudos to all of you that are nailing this.
It seems to be that I'm not very good at it.
It's just a crutch, of that I'm aware, but it won't be too long until that crutch will turn into a wheelchair, and that wheelc...
Seriously time to sort my shizzle out.