Sobriety

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Re: Sobriety

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Second full weekend off it, need to get me some of those sugarless fruits mentioned (can't recall who) as at the moment having a thing for Hobnobs - choclolate covered ones. Asda had a deal two packets, good price, went through both in no time.

My aim is three more weekends - see Jan through and a bit more seeing that NYE was a weekend, then see how I feel. Might try to manage my drinking, but like others, once I start often don't know when to stop.

The other thing I found is that drinking 0% Brewdog is better in a sense than the 0% Peroni, as I don't drink Brewdog so not sure what it is meant to taste like, whereas I know Peroni isn't meant to taste like dishwater.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1337 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I think it sounds like some of us do want to continue to enjoy a drink after a dry January but less often than before.

So I hope this continues as a support group.

I did feel the need for a couple of zero alcohol beers this weekend and after a couple I went back to other soft drinks or coffee.

I am particularly pleased that I enjoyed football (I know), reading and watching a movie without alcohol and hopefully I'm breaking that link. I'm trying to enjoy those things as stand alone.

I also had a steak on sons birthday and found myself enjoying with cherries and berries squash rather than red wine. Although when I do finish January wine with a steak is a pleasure I may want occasionally.

The other thing I want to say is its clearly not a one size fits all thing and I've found support hearing of your different methods. Particularly the drink app that shows how much you're having.

Keep it up one and all you're definitely help me make booze a less important part of my life.

Oh do something different with your weekend too if you can. Go for a long walk or visit a stately home, anything different.

Keep in there
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

WHU Independent wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:31 am Last Monday at a family event i got the worst drunk I've ever been.

I won't go into details as it is so raw, but I disgraced myself, my extended family and friends. How I got home in one piece was a miracle in itself. To wake up and find that I still had my wallet, keys, phone and other personal belongings was another miracle.
Mate, having been where you are many times in the past, I completely understand what you're going through in the nugget.

I can't offer advice as it's your decision on what to / not to do, but what I can say is that we all make mistakes. It's part of life and whilst you probably want to keep giving yourself a battering over it, know that to love and accept yourself warts n' all takes more courage than the opposite.

I once read: "Would I speak to my kids the way I speak to myself?" That question / reframe has helped me enormously.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

You're all champions, however I can't even entertain the idea of sobriety with West Ham currently doing West Ham things.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I had a smashing can of this at the weekend.

THE SCHOFF - VAULT CITY X MASH GANG

Your favourite modern sour beer is finally available at <0.5%. That’s right - all the flavour, none of the hangovers.

We teamed up with the ‘low & no’ legends at Mash Gang to create The Schoff. Our guilt-free, easy drinking sour beer combines white grape and grapefruit juice for a refreshing, tangy taste that punches well above its weight.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

15 days now.

It was a big weekend for me this weekend. I've moved to a new project after Christmas and managed to hit a big milestone that they've all been trying to hit for a couple of months now, so leaving work late Friday night we diverted to the pub. I however remained strong and ordered the Peroni 0.0% - and even sent back the pint of full strength Peroni the dippy barmaid gave me by accident.

Saturday night I had a couple of cans of alcohol free Guinness, which quite frankly tastes just like the real thing.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

where can I get alcohol free Guinness? Asda don't seem to sell it, well not our one anyways.

:newthumb:
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

I'm doing well so far. 2 weeks. After we closed on Saturday we had a little meeting so they asked me to pick out two bottles of wine. I picked two of my biggest favourites, a Primitivo from Puglia & a lovely Sancerre and I abstained from both. Even gave a brief history and presentation on each way for product knowledge.

I'm thinking of trying dry months throughout the year. January, March and April will be dry while February and May will not although I'll try to drink less.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:24 pm where can I get alcohol free Guinness? Asda don't seem to sell it, well not our one anyways.

Morrisons near me has it. There were also a few packs of four in my local Home Bargains recently.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:24 pm where can I get alcohol free Guinness? Asda don't seem to sell it, well not our one anyways.

My local Tesco has it so it seems to be in all the supermarkets (if not all the stores). Wish it wasn’t so expensive, was more expensive then the (on offer) ‘real’ stuff last week.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

wolf359 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:06 pm My local Tesco has it so it seems to be in all the supermarkets (if not all the stores). Wish it wasn’t so expensive, was more expensive then the (on offer) ‘real’ stuff last week.
Hopefully the more popular it gets the cheaper it gets.
sendô

Post by sendô »

wolf359 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:06 pm My local Tesco has it so it seems to be in all the supermarkets (if not all the stores). Wish it wasn’t so expensive, was more expensive then the (on offer) ‘real’ stuff last week.
Mrs Sendo got mine from the local big Tesco, and said it was £4 for four cans, which is cheaper than the normal stuff.

Plus according to her it's approximately half of the calories.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

sendô wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:55 pm Mrs Sendo got mine from the local big Tesco, and said it was £4 for four cans, which is cheaper than the normal stuff.

When half the fat sausages became a thing in the 80s my brother started buying them so he could eat twice as many
Polaroid
Has liked: 613 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Polaroid »

sendô wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:55 pm Mrs Sendo got mine from the local big Tesco, and said it was £4 for four cans, which is cheaper than the normal stuff.

Is your wife's middle name Subtle :smiler:
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

Still going strong, this end.
Surprised at how much more energy I seem to have. Especially on a Monday; Usually I am still suffering from a weekend of excess and feel knackered/grouchy, but it felt like I was off my head on Duracell yesterday.
I've also lost nearly half a stone, which is another bonus.
Sadly, however, the floaters I randomly leave in the work toilets no longer seem to have the horrifying stench of death to welcome the next visitor to the trap.
sendô

Post by sendô »

I've got beers after work scheduled in for 2nd Feb.

That's the target.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

sendô wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:43 pm I've got beers after work scheduled in for 2nd Feb.

That's the target.
Mrs Bu's birthday. Nice of you to celebrate it. Cheers Mate :beer:
sendô

Post by sendô »

It doesn’t normally take much of an excuse for me to celebrate with beers tbf. :D
Has liked: 4368 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by Sticky »

God willing on the 24th of this month - I'll be 3 years clean and sober after 20 years of active addiction.

Never knew I was allergic to drink and drugs. Ha!

If anyone is in trouble - then please PM me.
Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by Jennings »

Sticky wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:56 pm God willing on the 24th of this month - I'll be 3 years clean and sober after 20 years of active addiction.

Never knew I was allergic to drink and drugs. Ha!

If anyone is in trouble - then please PM me.
What a cracking post. Well done & thank you, Sticky.