⚽ FAC3: Brentford 0-1 West Ham Utd (7/1/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1161 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Re: ⚽ Brentford v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

As is my tradition, I waited until next day before posting my thoughts so I had time to think before I post:

Having scanned back a few pages within this thread, I was surprised about the tone and content of SOME of the in-match posts. It's interesting how some fear the worst, see the worst and expect even more ......deterioration... whilst the team gets a clean sheet and wins away from home. I think the issue of 'b teams' is almost mute as most clubs have 22+ players who should, and could, be Prem level starters. For example, today's emerging potential is next seasons established starter.
Appreciate it's all about opinions, so fair play to all those posts for expressing their's.

Now the game, IMHO, workmanlike and no dramas. No injuries. Clean sheet. Open play goal. New 'big' players improving. Fringe players got match time. Some of our 'most experienced' players look like they won't make next season, so our succession planning needs to be well advanced.

Overall, satisfied but not ecstatic. Next!
:hamm:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Too much argument on here. I think it's perfectly acceptable to say that you enjoyed the fact we won but didn't enjoy the performance. I did enjoy the performance against Leeds (minus the comedy defending).
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:10 am Too much argument on here. I think it's perfectly acceptable to say that you enjoyed the fact we won but didn't enjoy the performance. I did enjoy the performance against Leeds (minus the comedy defending).
Absolutely.

That was a tough watch last night (not for the first time this season)

But I'm hopeful the result will bring confidence, and with it, better performances.

Ultimately though at this point, the result is all that matters.
Last edited by S-H on Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:10 am Too much argument on here. I think it's perfectly acceptable to say that you enjoyed the fact we won but didn't enjoy the performance. I did enjoy the performance against Leeds (minus the comedy defending).
I enjoyed the performance until the final third. We're just lacking something there at the moment.

It feels like Bulldozer Antonio used to create so much space with his strength and running that we used to do something in the final third. Now that Antonio is woefully out of form there's no space, we lose our heads and just swing crosses in all game.
Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 405 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Ilford Paolo »

I was pleased to get a ticket as I won't have enough points (probably) in the league. Great location of the ground right in amongst local pubs and restaurants etc, but strangely lacking in atmosphere during the match.Very little from the home fans at at all.We were noisy for the first ten minutes until the quality of football on offer intervened and once we had scored.
Yabish
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Yabish »

Lovejoy wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:51 pm I forgot about him, although he has resembled the movement of a darts player since rocking up here.
Ha true!!! to be fair to him though I think he is isolated a bit
Writtle iron
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by Writtle iron »

Not the best football on show but we were never going to go from loosing so many
and playing so badly to being good on the eye .

If we can can improve a bit more next week and get something at Wolves that will set us up
nicely to get behind the team at home and give it to Everton on the 21st.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Didn't see the game, only the 20seconds (thanks BBC!!) "highlights" on MoTD.

Can someone who saw it confirm where Soucek and Emerson played because when I checked on LiveScore it has Soucek at left wing back and Emerson on right midfield! Is that right?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Denbighammer wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:43 am Can someone who saw it confirm where Soucek and Emerson played because when I checked on LiveScore it has Soucek at left wing back and Emerson on right midfield! Is that right?
Emerson left wingback and Soucek as part of a middle three with Rice and Paqueta then Bowen and Antonio having afternoon tea...
DublinDave
Has liked: 2720 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Denbighammer wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:43 am Didn't see the game, only the 20seconds (thanks BBC!!) "highlights" on MoTD.

Can someone who saw it confirm where Soucek and Emerson played because when I checked on LiveScore it has Soucek at left wing back and Emerson on right midfield! Is that right?
Soucek & Paqueta were a midfield 2 with Rice behind. Emerson was lwb.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Denbighammer wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:43 am Didn't see the game, only the 20seconds (thanks BBC!!) "highlights" on MoTD.

No, Soucek was more of a second forward and Emerson LWB.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

MB wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:47 am Emerson left wingback and Soucek as part of a middle three with Rice and Paqueta then Bowen and Antonio having afternoon tea...
OK thanks, thought it was a bit odd, Soucek at wingback doesn't bear thinking about!!
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I am Legend wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:54 am Clear issues, yes. All we do is pass it down the wing and cross it. No matter than players or formation, thats all we do. That is why we barely score any goals, that is why we're so easy to play against. That is why we only got goals vs Leeds from a penalty and mistake, and again today the GK just had a brain fart and let the shot in.

Very clear issues.

If you think continuing the same failing tactic of "play down the wing and cross" for 90 minutes isn't a clear issue and why we're in this mess, then fair enough, we disagree. :newthumb:
Pithy response.
Whenever I see words like 'clear', 'obvious' without preempting with 'For me its ....' what you are implying is that anyone who doesnt agree with you is an idiot.

You then follow it up by stating that anyone who disagrees with you must be happy with a negative football trope. Its confirmation bias at its worst.

For you, and some others, it seems it was the wrong type of win, wrong type of goals, wrong type of play etc. etc. I have no probem at all with a well put different opinion and there are many on here that don't agree with mine, but honestly and politely put 'their' view/opinion. A little dollop of self awareness is needed. IMHO of course.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Denbighammer wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:49 am OK thanks, thought it was a bit odd, Soucek at wingback doesn't bear thinking about!!
Haha, I don't think even Moyes would do that!

He was playing that target man role which Moyes seems to be trying as our out ball. Was often the furthest forward of the three and won a few flick ons but Antonio and Bowen didn't really do anything with the second ball.

Worked against Arsenal when we won the penalty but a bit low percentage for my liking. You can see why people are making the Fellaini analogy again.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Trying to think of a time where Moyes' use of the 3-5-2 has lasted beyond half time. Brighton home two seasons ago, Villa away this season and now yesterday. What does he think will happen?

Good goal and enjoyed being back in the away end.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

hawkins_hammer wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:40 am Trying to think of a time where Moyes' use of the 3-5-2 has lasted beyond half time. Brighton home two seasons ago, Villa away this season and now yesterday. What does he think will happen?

Good goal and enjoyed being back in the away end.
Wolves and Leicester when we finished 6th were both with a back three I'm sure
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Diogenes wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:59 am Pithy response.
Whenever I see words like 'clear', 'obvious' without preempting with 'For me its ....' what you are implying is that anyone who doesnt agree with you is an idiot.

You then follow it up by stating that anyone who disagrees with you must be happy with a negative football trope. Its confirmation bias at its worst.

For you, and some others, it seems it was the wrong type of win, wrong type of goals, wrong type of play etc. etc. I have no probem at all with a well put different opinion and there are many on here that don't agree with mine, but honestly and politely put 'their' view/opinion. A little dollop of self awareness is needed. IMHO of course.
But some people really don't like anyone saying anything that differs from their own opinions do they? Anything remotely negative about anything to do with Saint Moyes or Wonderful football always gets called out or gets condescending, pissy replies.

I said its a good win, we needed it, it will breed confidence, i hope. But as usual the football, tactics, system were bad. Anyone who wants to think otherwise, that's fine by me. I won't write passive aggressive replies to them and complain about it, I'll only complain about the bad football and management, not peoples thoughts on the game.

So yes, it seems a little dollop of self awareness is definitely needed around here.
thewhirlwind
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by thewhirlwind »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:39 pm Mads Rasmussen who's started 9 of the last 10...
Wissa has started half their games.
Ajer is just fit again but would start if they had no injuries.

Why are you so desperate to invalidate a win?
There you go.... knock yourself out...

Thomas Frank post match quote:-
"They were almost full strength and we are playing without EIGHT of our normal starters. I think it’s very impressive of the squad. I’m just irritated because I wanted to win. I hate losing.”
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

thewhirlwind wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:33 pm There you go.... knock yourself out...

Thomas Frank post match quote:-
"They were almost full strength and we are playing without EIGHT of our normal starters. I think it’s very impressive of the squad. I’m just irritated because I wanted to win. I hate losing.”
Thats his fault he made 8 changes there in no danger of relegation should have played a full team if I was a brentford fan I would be really pissed off with his team . And he hates to lose obviously thought they would beat is with there 8 changes.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Too much argument on here? It's like a vicars garden party compared to Hammers Chat. I hear they eat there young on there. :shock: