⚽ FAC3: Brentford 0-1 West Ham Utd (7/1/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Re: ⚽ Brentford v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by I am Legend »

IronZ-79 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:37 pm Think the criticism of the players, manager and most things recently is getting a bit much. Every little thing is being picked up on....subs being made as well.
First domestic win since October 24th. Only win in those 8 games since. And you think its a bit much for people to be complaining about every little thing? It's all those little things that are reason we have been so utterly horrendous for a time, and most of them are repeated errors/problems.

We can all enjoy a win, at last! But that doesn't mean it was pretty, or there aren't clear issues with selection, tactics, system.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Billy Bonds boots wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:20 pm I know it's his debut but as you say he looks good, so
That got me thinking how is all the clubs around us always seem to pick up a gem and we never can, what does our scout do sit on there hands all the time :thup:
think that's the problem right there mate...
mickthekeeper
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 232 likes

Post by mickthekeeper »

I don’t think it was a great game for the neutral, but there are definitely signs that we’re moving in the right direction

Considering their lack of game time, I thought Johnson was ok, didn’t set the world alight but wasn’t a calamity and Emerson looked comfortable and put a couple of lovely crosses into the box, one of which Soucek should have finally broken our ‘goals from crossing’ duck with. You could see that they’d both been tasked with hugging the touch line enabling us to have more width. Unfortunately, I see both being dropped when Coufal and Cresswell are available which would be a shame - a 3/5 of Johnson kehrer Zouma Aguerd Emerson may just be the formula to get us more attacking threat down the wings

Paqueta is growing more and more into the Prem, but still think we lack players on the same wavelength - hopefully that understanding will continue to grow - and really puts a shift in

Other than the very good save with his feet in the first half, Brentford didn’t seriously test fabianski - but please, he has to release the ball quicker - I’d still like to see Areola given a game or two though

Fornals looked lively and comfortable on the right in his short cameo

Moyes made more than one sub which is also a positive (albeit still a little late and Uber defensive - but at 1-0 you can’t blame him too much)

It wasn’t pretty, but a win is a win and will give us confidence going into the Wolves and Everton games - although I’m hoping wholesale changes (see Johnson and Emerson) doesn’t undo the confidence boost a win gives

Obviously the next game will be a yardstick on how Moyes sees us setting up and the personnel he wants to us to use. Hopefully he uses this result to push on and doesn’t take a step backwards!
pdbis
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by pdbis »

I don't know why Brentford played their B team when they aren't in danger of going down like us. We will have a much harder game next week and will need to play a lot better to get anything.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

i'd be livid if i was a brentford supporter. they're in a perfect position for a famous cup run but threw it with that line up. we might not have been able to string two passes together but at least the manager attempted to give us every chance to progress.

the patrick mcgoohan number he had on was a great look too.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I am Legend wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:50 pm First domestic win since October 24th. Only win in those 8 games since. And you think its a bit much for people to be complaining about every little thing? It's all those little things that are reason we have been so utterly horrendous for a time, and most of them are repeated errors/problems.

We can all enjoy a win, at last! But that doesn't mean it was pretty, or there aren't clear issues with selection, tactics, system.
'Clear Issues'? Its only your opinion. In my opinion I thought our selection, tactics and system tonight were spot on.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Incidentally has there been any news on Scamaccas injury, as to why he wasn't even on the Bench?

He was taken off soon after he scored a goal up at Leeds, so wondered what kind of knock he's carrying to not even travel across London.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I thought I'd log in to this thread to hear some views on the match but it seems it's actually a discussion about Brentford's team selection. It's an FA cup match, we won and are through to the next round. I personally don't have much interest in the cup any more but a lot of the posters bitching about 'reserve team' are the ones who say cups are the most important competitions. In the last week we have got our first point out of a possible 18 and beaten one of our bogey teams to go through to the next round of the cup. I'm very happy and couldn't give a flying f*** if brentford played their U17 team
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Found an answer to my own question..

Apparently just a sore knee, so a precaution which is good. Areola and Lanzini also carrying knocks which is why they were also absent.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.foot ... 922322.amp
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

goa127 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:21 am I thought I'd log in to this thread to hear some views on the match but it seems it's actually a discussion about Brentford's team selection. It's an FA cup match, we won and are through to the next round. I personally don't have much interest in the cup any more but a lot of the posters bitching about 'reserve team' are the ones who say cups are the most important competitions. In the last week we have got our first point out of a possible 18 and beaten one of our bogey teams to go through to the next round of the cup. I'm very happy and couldn't give a flying f*** if brentford played their U17 team
Brentford barely even have an U17 team anymore do they? They scrapped their entire academy some years ago and have 'B' team. They are doing well at the moment and fair play. They've never had it so good. But it's not such a romantic narrative when you realise it's all down to cold, hard numbers with them. At the start of this season they reopened a token academy but it's Cat 4 so below even Cambridge, Colchester and Leyton Orient for example.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Diogenes wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:16 am 'Clear Issues'? Its only your opinion. In my opinion I thought our selection, tactics and system tonight were spot on.
Clear issues, yes. All we do is pass it down the wing and cross it. No matter than players or formation, thats all we do. That is why we barely score any goals, that is why we're so easy to play against. That is why we only got goals vs Leeds from a penalty and mistake, and again today the GK just had a brain fart and let the shot in.

Very clear issues.

If you think continuing the same failing tactic of "play down the wing and cross" for 90 minutes isn't a clear issue and why we're in this mess, then fair enough, we disagree. :newthumb:
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

hammerman11 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:49 pm Time for a whisky to celebrate .
Not sure about lube though !
Do the bottle, and you wont need any :crylol:
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Certainly this match didn’t help to answer any questions about us because we played the brentford b team. Had it been the a team and we got a win and it didn’t still look like we could barely string passes together, defend, break them down, then that would have answered questions.
But as it is, all we can take from this match is hope that a win gives us the confidence to play well in our next two matches, as we’ll need it.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Last March this strong West Ham team got knocked out the FA Cup to this starting 11 for Southampton:

Southampton: Caballero, Walker-Peters, Stephens, Valery, Perraud, Diallo, Ward-Prowse, Smallbone, Djenepo, Long, A. Armstrong.

West Ham: Areola, Johnson, Dawson, Zouma, Diop, Rice, Soucek, Fornals, Lanzini, Bowen, Antonio.

Let’s not turn our noses up to the team Brentford selected.

As for the supporters on social media spending more time worrying about what Moyes had to say after the game about Benrahma over celebrating a win, one word: embarrassing.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

enjoy the win everyone, we have waited long enough for it ! hopefully like buses and another comes next weekend
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:38 am As for the supporters on social media spending more time worrying about what Moyes had to say after the game about Benrahma over celebrating a win, one word: embarrassing.
If it’s the same comments I’ve heard I think he’s spot on. Praises his contribution at key moments and gives him a kick up the ass as well.

We all saw him fluff the 2v1
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Tough love from moyes
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

goa127 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:21 am I thought I'd log in to this thread to hear some views on the match but it seems it's actually a discussion about Brentford's team selection. It's an FA cup match, we won and are through to the next round. I personally don't have much interest in the cup any more but a lot of the posters bitching about 'reserve team' are the ones who say cups are the most important competitions. In the last week we have got our first point out of a possible 18 and beaten one of our bogey teams to go through to the next round of the cup. I'm very happy and couldn't give a flying f*** if brentford played their U17 team
Top post mate.
I do however value the cup (especially FA), but Brentford find themselves in a position that we had regularly found ourselves in in recent seasons where they are probably in 2 minds about European qualification ?? Having said that, yes, they are clearly a better side than us this season, when you dial in on the details they’ve only actually turned in 2 more league wins than us. They have a stack of draws under their belts. Admittedly those two latest wins (apart from us) have been against Liverpool and Man City, which really catch the media gaze.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

We won, we’re in the next round, that’s really all that matters in cup games. Neither side anywhere near full strength, dreadful weather, poor pitch by PL standards etc etc etc but having seen anything remotely successful we’ve done since about 1970 I can’t recall a cup run without a game or two like yesterdays. We just about did enough to edge it, there were signs of further improvement from key players like Aguerd and Paqueta, some grit and determination and great backing from the travelling support. Of course we can, and hopefully will, play better, but we’re in the draw for round 4, Brentford, a PL club that beat us a week ago, aren’t and arguments about who had the most reserves playing are irrelevant, that result is no disappointment.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Lovejoy wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:51 pm I forgot about him, although he has resembled the movement of a darts player since rocking up here.
And Andy Fordham has been dead since 2021!