⚽ West Ham Utd 2-0 Everton (21/1/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Everton: match thread

Post by Tezza65 »

chalks wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:21 am Hopefully that’ll be Sullivan :crylol:
I cannot stand the man,but your comment is out of order.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 829 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

hammerman11 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:55 am An unbeaten run for the next 6 matches would seal his stay for me but at the moment I still want him gone
If you are expecting us to go undefeated for the fixtures below, that is never going to happen.

Derby (A), Newcastle (A), Chelsea (H), Tottenham (A), Forest (H) and Brighton (A)

To win the cup game and get 7 points from the next 5 fixtures would be a more realistic expectation.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

ExeC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:03 am Aged like milk :rofl:

Went to the game, full house, still quiet but for good reason.

I feel though this felt a little more like Everton were FAR worse than a poor West Ham side which is saying something!

Backline does look better and Agueard is mustard!

Hopefully Bowen gets the confidence now that he needs!
I went yesterday, I have to agree with you. I thought Everton were shocking, much worse than we were at Wolves last week. I didn’t feel like Everton looked especially dangerous during the game, a few half chances which pretty much any team at any level will have but nothing particularly menacing. Fab didn’t have too much to do throughout the 90 minutes.
The idea that they were in control for long periods or were better than us at any stage is beyond me, I don’t think anyone in my area felt any different to me.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

f*** Fat Frank. He made his bed with us years ago. He gets paid millions of pounds to do a job that he is not very good at.
I just hope Everton keep him a bit longer as they look relegation certainties with him at the helm.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1331 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

master wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:05 am Except when those wide midfielders/wingbacks are naturally fullbacks, which is when they tend to just drop deeper and deeper.
Totally, but Emerson is more wing than full back, so it’s Coufal on the right we need to change to get the system balanced. Against stronger sides Fornals comes in to the two behind the main striker to give us a better more solidity perhaps, plus he’s probably the one who looks for the quickest pass likely to upset a better oppo defence. We need to play people in their best positions more than we've been doing.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1161 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Hammer.CA wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:58 am Taking the 60 years into consideration, just send the bloke a letter without mentioning the stiff part.
It's like my football expertise, it's all in my mind.
Besides, I cannot remember what the topic was so I send some flowers.
:oops:
Tezza65

Post by Tezza65 »

Ozza wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:52 am As well they should.
I said before the game,we could easily win this 4-0.That's how poor Everton are.You couldn't ask for an easier game in front of our own fans.

We do have some really good players at West Ham,but when you are losing games,it does effect confidence. I just hope the players have gained a bit and we can go on and play with a bit more adventure in the games ahead.Nobody would be more pleased than myself if we do so,becauseI'm quite fed up with all the infighting on here now.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Ozza »

:newthumb: Forgetting about Everton for one second, once Benny hit that shot we started playing, and looked energetic and the work rate was there, all good signs to me…

Said it before Nathan and Kurt playing together (or not playing together), has been a massive headache for the manager and the team.

Let’s hope both can stay fit and we can build on yesterday (which im pretty sure we will)
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1331 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:06 am If you are expecting us to go undefeated for the fixtures below, that is never going to happen.

Derby (A), Newcastle (A), Chelsea (H), Tottenham (A), Forest (H) and Brighton (A)

To win the cup game and get 7 points from the next 5 fixtures would be a more realistic expectation.
Be very happy to be in round 5 and on 25 from 25, then target 16-20 points from the last 13 games to see us around halfway. In all honesty 5 points wouldn’t be a disaster, but I don’t think it’s beyond us to win 2 of those games if there are no more injuries and we get another one or two in, and maybe even see Cornet return, who I think has been a big miss.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Was very nervous at the ground in the second half - fearing Everton scoring one goal would completely change the game…..but having watched back the second half this morning I see it pretty differently without the emotion and we looked the most threatening with some decent moves. Also thought the subs were spot on.

Occurred to me that if I felt that nervous and it impacted my perception then the same is probably true of the players. If we can get a win in one of the next two games to boost confidence it will be massive.

I reinforced my view that Stuart Atwell is a **** referee who favoured Everton in general play consistently.
Tezza65

Post by Tezza65 »

Ozza wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:21 am :newthumb: Forgetting about Everton for one second, once Benny hit that shot we started playing, and looked energetic and the work rate was there, all good signs to me…

Said it before Nathan and Kurt playing together (or not playing together), has been a massive headache for the manager and the team.

Let’s hope both can stay fit and we can build on yesterday (which im pretty sure we will)
And play with a bit more adventure,right.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

1895Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:02 am If we had a more mobile 3rd cb than Oggy and a better rwb / wide midfielder I actually think 343 suits the players we have with minimal recruitment. As previously Kehrer “ should” be the rcb, meaning we need a new rwb, with Bowen, Benny Ings and Cornet all capable of playing as forwards tighter to the main striker. It only becomes 5 at the back under pressure because the natural tendency for the wide midfielder / wing backs is forward momentum.
Agreed, going slightly off track but I meant recruiting for a 433 would require a lot. To turn the current formation into a proper 343 just needs the tweaks you've pointed out and some depth on the bench.

The right side remains a weakness in a 3 ATB as it is in a 4 ATB and pace is a must. Oggy played really well but it is was a perfect match up in terms of their options up top. Any team with pace through the middle will exploit him longer term. I doubt Moyes is unaware of that.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Tezza65 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:43 am And play with a bit more adventure,right.
I honestly think it comes from having a settled back line the manager and team trusts… and then you overlay confidence that you build… Ive been saying it since the beginning of the season…

once you have those ingredients then it’s game on and you start to play with more freedom, were not there yet, but the signs are there
Last edited by Ozza on Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

MB wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:43 am Agreed, going slightly off track but I meant recruiting for a 433 would require a lot. To turn the current formation into a proper 343 just needs the tweaks you've pointed out and some depth on the bench.
Really?
Just a starting left back imo.

343 requires a RWB and very good CB.
Yes Oggy did well in a game sitting deep. But we can't always do that. We don't have the pace for it. We ate not going to get able to rely on all 3 twice a week.

That still only leaves us with 1 LWB option in Emerson.

Was good yesterday but to think that play is good enough and positive enough to win games against better teams and a European trophy I think not.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Ozza wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:49 am I honestly think it comes from having a settled back line the manager and team trusts… and then you overlay confidence that you build… Ive been saying it since the beginning of the season…

once you have those ingredients then it’s game on and you start to play with more freedom, were not there yet, but the signs are there
One magic moment for me was after the game - Kurt, Ange and Nathan having a group hug together. They know they were rock-solid the full game.
Any chances given up (and they were few) came from errors in front of them.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

DublinDave wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:49 pm If you don't commit 100% for every minute of every game in the Premier league, you get found out very quickly.

Only Scamacca can improve Scamacca's performances for us at present.
This has always amused me that if you’re struggling to adapt to a system, perhaps one that wasn’t sold to you at the time of signing its insinuated that you’re lazy :lol:

If Moyes wasn’t able to adapt to suit Scamacca’s style of play then that’s on Moyes and he’s got previous of doing so with Haller. It’s clear as day to anyone watching highlights of Scamacca in Italy, he might have a big frame but he’s far from Andy Carroll, he likes ball in to feet and he’s been sent out every weekend with 50 balls being pumped in to the box for him to header. In fact the one time a Leeds player played a ball to his feet it was a goal, or when Paqueta has managed to feed to feet bang it’s a goal.

If he had the physical traits of Antonio and the technical ability that he does possess he wouldn’t be playing for West Ham that’s for sure.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Oggy playing the way he did was a huge happy moment for me, what a bloke and player he is… if you could keep the three of them fit, this club is top 6 pushing for top 4 (along with people that can score)
master
Has liked: 3203 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by master »

:chin:
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

El brooko79 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:49 am Yes Oggy did well in a game sitting deep. But we can't always do that. We don't have the pace for it. We ate not going to get able to rely on all 3 twice a week.
Why did Lampard not put more pace against limp-along Zouma and Ogbonna? He kept Gordon (and Maupay) on the bench! :eh:
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Ozza wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:49 am I honestly think it comes from having a settled back line the manager and team trusts… and then you overlay confidence that you build… Ive been saying it since the beginning of the season…

You can try explaining it but whether people get it is another thing.

Yesterday wasn't an easy game. If anything, it's tougher with the expectancy that we should win.

We did just that, so hats off to the players and staff. Sometimes, you have to grind results out.

It's not like a switch where you can just say we are going to turn on the style and play well. We've been in a rut and results have gone against us. The players would've been nervous and under pressure. Conceding with time left would have changed the atmosphere completely.

Clean sheet, 3 points and move on....