⚽ West Ham Utd 2-0 Everton (21/1/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Everton: match thread

Post by 'stone hammer »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:43 pm Why did Lampard not put more pace against limp-along Zouma and Ogbonna? He kept Gordon (and Maupay) on the bench! :eh:
You'd have to assume Gordon is being sold. Madness otherwise
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Everton's next two fixtures are Arsenal and Liverpool. Oh dear oh dear
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I think our improved forward performance, and the goals, was primarily due to Antonio not being defended against as well as in previous games.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

'stone hammer wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:52 pm Everton's next two fixtures are Arsenal and Liverpool. Oh dear oh dear
You've seen our next three, right?
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Ozza wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:54 am Saw FF interview I actually feel sorry for the bloke
At this point, he’s going to struggle to get a job cleaning the pipes at his old man’s Wanstead boozer.
Uptonogood247
Has liked: 181 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Uptonogood247 »

So...was yesterdays win a springboard to better things to come or just lucky that we came a up against a team lower on confidence than us. Hopefully it's the former and we carry some momentum into the cup game.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Vic_Watson wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:01 pm You've seen our next three, right?
Neither Spurs nor Chelsea are anywhere close to their best this season.

A bit like us.

I back us to emerge with 3 points, minimum, across our next three league games.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:14 pm Confident of the win due to Everton being an absolute car crash of a Team this season. They've been shocking.

And for the love of God play our best player of the season Benrahama from the start!

2-1

Glad to see it panned out as expected. Everton truly are a mess and for a while now they seem like dead certs for relegation to me. Can't see them dragging themselves out of it and I'm just grateful they were timely opposition when we needed it most.

What I did like to see however was us playing as a cohesive Team from back to front and for all the players fighting for every ball. Special mention for Antonio who I thought showed us vintage Antonio taking no for answer and forcing the issue, typified by Bowens 2nd goal.

So yeah it's great to finally win at long last and something to build on to avoid the relegation zone as Everton move closer to the drop. Not that our Squad should be anywhere near the relegation zone in the first place, mind.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Still trying to work out if we were good or if they were sh*t.

Decent and vital win nonetheless.

Bowen man of the match but also thought Emerson had a good game as well as Aguerd.

Nice to see Antonio resembling something like his former self.

Big push for the top 7 now 💪🏼
Last edited by Billydinho on Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2016 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Billydinho wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:36 pm Still trying to work out if we were good or if they were sh*t.
Bit of both.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Was Emerson good? I dont recall much tackling or intercepting ... the three centre backs seemed to be covering his defensive duties.
And just the one dangerous run and shot.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

irving boleyn wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:42 pm Was Emerson good? I dont recall much tackling or intercepting ... the three centre backs seemed to be covering his defensive duties.
Didn’t really notice him doing much at all apart from as you say one driving run and shot.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

Ozza wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:49 am I honestly think it comes from having a settled back line the manager and team trusts… and then you overlay confidence that you build… Ive been saying it since the beginning of the season…

once you have those ingredients then it’s game on and you start to play with more freedom, were not there yet, but the signs are there
Aguerd is a real class player,who would not look out of place at a Real Madrid or a Man City.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

irving boleyn wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:42 pm Was Emerson good? I dont recall much tackling or intercepting ... the three centre backs seemed to be covering his defensive duties.
Aguerd covered the space behind him like Oggy used to do for Cresswell so I don't remember him being asked to defend too much (one benefit of the system). He helped pin down that side though by forcing his opposite number back with Benrahma so deserves credit for that.

One dodgy moment when his man somehow ghosted through for the one flashed across the box that Calvet Lewin didn't get to.
Uptonogood247
Has liked: 181 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Uptonogood247 »

Tezza65 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:51 pm Aguerd is a real class player,who would not look out of place at a Real Madrid or a Man City.
SSSSHHHHHHHHHHH :zippy:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Emerson put the cross in for the first goal, and the one for Antonio's free header.

Add the interchange with Benrahma and break that resulted in his own drive being tipped onto the bar by Pickford and it's probably fair to say he was a significant contributor to an improved attacking performance. A vast improvement on the stodge that's normally served up.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:46 am Agree with all of that Wizzo

A back 5 is not the way forward for me, and it was mostly a back five yesterday
You taking about the formation or the performance? I thought Ogbonna and Aguerd were excellent, Zouma very good. Reminded me of when I used to feel secure in our defence.

We can debate the merits or otherwise of having wingbacks, but I thought our defenders played well yesterday.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

Uptonogood247 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:53 pm SSSSHHHHHHHHHHH :zippy:
We have some very good players here and a few very average one's.

I still believe a more progressive manager would get the best out of them.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

I had a little snigger to myself whilst thinking how bad the rest of yesterday's fixtures must have been for us to be first on MotD.

I know we were the only team to win, but in the past, a Liverpool v Chelsea tie would of had a first up 15 minute w**kfest written all over it, with us lucky to get third slot.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammer1975 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:27 am Was very nervous at the ground in the second half - fearing Everton scoring one goal would completely change the game…..but having watched back the second half this morning I see it pretty differently without the emotion and we looked the most threatening with some decent moves. Also thought the subs were spot on.
:thup:

Yep.

We played all of that game, bar maybe 15-20 minutes, exactly how we wanted to.

It's a fascinating watch from around ten minutes before the first goal. There's a bit in Tony Gale's commentary where he ironically says "need to get at them" as we are sat off around the halfway line, letting them pass it between their 3 CBs. All the forward passes are shut off and we essentially walk them back towards their own goal, by keeping the forward pass cut off all the while. It's,for the want of a better description, a 'creeping press'.

When they turn it over, they never really get it back in a meaningful way or get out of their own half for close on ten minutes until they kick off at 0-1 down.

The Benrahma drive from an excellent one touch lay off by Antonio comes from exactly the same sort of deep press they have been frittering away in game after game. The second is a counter from our 18 yard line. Something else that hasn't been clinically done in spite of numerous opportunities this year.