⚽ West Ham Utd 2-0 Everton (21/1/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Everton: match thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Pete647580 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:56 pm You taking about the formation or the performance? I thought Ogbonna and Aguerd were excellent, Zouma very good. Reminded me of when I used to feel secure in our defence.

We can debate the merits or otherwise of having wingbacks, but I thought our defenders played well yesterday.
Formation
They all played well individually, but I would expect a back five to be able to keep it tight against that Everton side to be honest

I was talking more about the formation. Three CBs and wingbacks has never been a formation I favour, and no clubs towards the top end of the table utilise it (against Spurs)

It may allow us to stumble over the line this year, but wouldnt want it long term
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:18 pm Formation
They all played well individually, but I would expect a back five to be able to keep it tight against that Everton side to be honest

I was talking more about the formation. Three CBs and wingbacks has never been a formation I favour, and no clubs towards the top end of the table utilise it (against Spurs)

It may allow us to stumble over the line this year, but wouldnt want it long term
I don't think Moyes wants a back 5 neither, as soon as he could've swapped to the 4-5-1 he did and stuck with it. It does however seem to be his go to when things start going pete tong
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

Some far better humans than me in this thread re Lampard :D

I absolutely loved seeing him shattered yesterday, for so so long he’s gone out of his way to try and give it out including start of this season after getting no stick at the LS last season

Yesterday he got what he deserved and it’s wonderful that it all fully fell apart at the hands of West Ham United, tala Frank
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

An excellent three points yesterday.

I'm not going to listen to any wrong type of goals arguments, or we didn't have the ball enough when the plain fact is we did.

If the game was still being played now, Everton wouldn't have scored.We on the other hand would have racked up plenty.

Rice, simply superb yesterday, disciplined, with a much improved and fast improving Paqueta alongside him, we look to have solved one puzzle. Antonio was good, and for Bowen to pop up and score twice bang in the middle was exactly what we have needed.

Ings looked decent when he came on, but the backline of Oggy, Kurt and Nayef gave us some solidity.

An easy win in the end against an admittedly poor Everton side, albeit one that had beaten us 5 months ago.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

Is there an Opposition View for this match?
I just scanned through and couldn't see a link.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Coops wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:09 pm Is there an Opposition View for this match?
Usually Monday lunchtime, isn't it?
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1564 likes

Post by alf git »

Coops wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:09 pm Is there an Opposition View for this match?
Toffeeman11 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:11 pm

We were s***e, la
WestSamToo
Has liked: 384 likes
Total likes: 314 likes

Post by WestSamToo »

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/thre ... 5/page-150

I had a good read through this before during and after the match. Reads very much like a kumb thread :crylol:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

WestSamToo wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:17 pm https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/thre ... 5/page-150

I had a good read through this before during and after the match. Reads very much like a kumb thread :crylol:
This is a cracker after all the pro-Iwobi talk!

"I don't use the words 'cowards' or 'frauds' all the time (like some). However, I've got to say that Iwobi was awful today. Gave the ball away (again) for the second goal and did sod all to get back to help and it wasn't just for the goal. He's given up."
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:34 pm This is a cracker after all the pro-Iwobi talk!

"I don't use the words 'cowards' or 'frauds' all the time (like some). However, I've got to say that Iwobi was awful today. Gave the ball away (again) for the second goal and did sod all to get back to help and it wasn't just for the goal. He's given up."
Interesting isn't it. I thought he was one of their better players. To be fair, they do have some very good players but a bit like an disjointed orchestra, can't play a coherent tune.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Diogenes wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:39 pm Interesting isn't it. I thought he was one of their better players. To be fair, they do have some very good players but a bit like an disjointed orchestra, can't play a coherent tune.
I wonder if we only remember the good parts while they watch him with more of a critical eye as they see him every week? A bit like Antonio, who opposition fans always talk up to high heaven?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:43 pm Why did Lampard not put more pace against limp-along Zouma and Ogbonna? He kept Gordon (and Maupay) on the bench! :eh:
There were a few points in the game where either Zouma, Ogbonna, or towards the end, Aguerd were struggling and limping a bit. Those were the moments that Everton should have took advantage of. They didn't. I thought we had problems when attacking but we're looking quite good compared to what we saw from Everton yesterday. They're completely ineffective going forward.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

DCL thinks hes a model nowadays. he was good but looks so poor now.

if they drop we could take pickford, onana, gray ,godfrey off them. :grin:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

To state the obvious, a big and much needed 3 points. Thought we were pretty good considering where we have been. Did not like conceding the ball in the 2nd half as much as we did, but then when we broke we could and probably should have scored, so you can see why we sat back, all be it I'm personally not a huge fan of it.

Players put everything in, so no lost dressing room for me.

Hopefully now onwards and upwards, if Aguerd had been fit all season I would think we would have more points on the board, he looks an excellent player.

Still think the Everton squad is better than what they are showing, sack FF and get a new manager in that knows what they are doing...
SiO
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 292 likes

Post by SiO »

alf git wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:17 pm
"Holding onto a 2-0 deficit" tickled me, with clip of them knocking it about the back in the dying minutes
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

Always love an OV, shame they're so rare these days.

Pretty fair comments on the whole - a poor game where we weren't very good and they were worse. Which was predictable really in such a dog fight of a relegation battle - I never expected us to blow them away with beautiful football. Honestly though, I never expected such a "comfortable" 2-0 win as our club usually puts us through the ringer more than that. I didn't need the usual cushion to hide behind.

As one of them said, when they've lost to us, Southampton and Bournemouth you wonder where their next win comes from. I hope they keep FF for as long as possible for our sake, but I imagine he's toast now.

While their performance was awful, I don't think their team is quite as bad as suggested though. Dominic Calvert-Lewin up front was lauded only 12 months ago as a potential deputy for Kane at the WC. Mina is decent. They've got England goalkeeper (although I'm not a huge fan). I thought Coady and Tarkowski were shrewd buys, particularly Coady who I personally rate highly - love to bring him in to WHU. Moyes wanted Onana and it's not difficult to see why. Gray and Iwobi have pace and skill and on their day could trouble most defences.

Tom Davis and Ben Godfrey were others being lauded as being youngsters wanted by top clubs. Mykolenko is pretty solid. And no one to score goals? Did no one tell FF that Maupay loves a goal against WHU? All in all, it doesn't look such a bad squad to me.

Oh well... we have our own issues to worry about. We weren't great on Saturday but let's hope what seemed to be very good performances from Aguerd and Ings, and maybe Paqueta looking a little more at home, are signs of some positive change for us.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Ethanadict wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:52 pm Always love an OV, shame they're so rare these days.
Yeah shame we don't win very often..

:D
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I love the final comment in the OV :grin:

"I'm off to eat my body weight in curry, get smashed, maybe drink a pint of bleach. See you tomorrow. Or not."
- Romey 1878
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

*pusillanimous* eh!
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

the pink palermo wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:54 pm An easy win in the end against an admittedly poor Everton side,

Agree with all your post Pinkers.....and your observation about Everton.

But, never forget, in Everton's previous away game in the Premier League, they had drawn at Man City....1-1.

Just saying. :winker:....and backs up my feeling., that on any given day, any team in the Premier League can produce an unexpected result.....and why we shouldn't underestimate how comfortably the job got done on Saturday.... :coolas: