The Last of Us

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Re: The Last of Us

Post by WCpete »

I'm behind a couple episodes, so haven't seen the finale. I'm seeing a lot of disappointment out there though, which is disappointing. Don't know whether that's from the gamers or non-gamer viewers or both. Hopefully I can catch up this week to find out.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:30 am Good to see you back posting again Stoney :newthumb:
Seconded. :thup:
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Never played the game. TV show was ok but nothing special (episode three notwithstanding). Walking Dead might be a facile comparison but it’s also an accurate one. Same themes. Same tropes.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

The Finale was… underwhelming. It seemed to be over in the blink of an eye.
It could be me, but I felt it lacked the anguish and desperation you seemingly would expect from a man like Joel who was not prepared to go through that grief again.
He was more like Schwartzenegger in Commando: a one man army who takes on an entire platoon for his kidnapped daughter.
It certainly didn’t feel that way in the game. It’s been many years but it never scratched the surface.

The finale deserved more time and overall the show needed more infected interactions and set pieces.
I expect season 2 to be even darker and desolate.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

100% Stoney. One of my main criticisms of the TV series is how they've changed Joel; good example being his motivation for offloading Ellie when they reach Tommy. It went from Joel being scared of becoming attached to Joel believing he's not capable of protecting her. Changes like that really affect the ending, for me at least.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Just finished and as a non-gamer with no pre conceptions I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought the dynamic between Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey was excellent.

Look forward to Series 2 which I believe may not be til late 2024 or even 2025.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

I just finished it as well. Also a non gamer. Overall I thought it was very good. I do think it started to dip in form a bit from episode 7 through the finale. Not yet sure I'll carry on into the second season. I did think this would be more zombie (I know they're not zombies) centric but they have very little to do with the story line, tbh. I think there was only 2 infected appearances in the last 3 episodes, and both times in flashbacks. Anyhow, I did enjoy it overall.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

I enjoyed it

People were saying how brutal the end was

Tbh I thought it was tame.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

I didn't think the violence was brutal in the last episode, but what Joel does to Ellie verges on brutal, psychologically speaking.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Question for the gamers and non-gamers out there - were you satisfied with the focus less on the infected or would you have preferred more infected encounters?
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:46 pm Question for the gamers and non-gamers out there - were you satisfied with the focus less on the infected or would you have preferred more infected encounters?
Non-gamer here:
I liked that the focus drifted away from the infected, as we already knew it was dangerous out there by then and it allowed us to focus on the characters, their development and back stories. It also showed that the infected were far from the only dangers out there when society broke down.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

WCpete wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:32 pm I didn't think the violence was brutal in the last episode, but what Joel does to Ellie verges on brutal, psychologically speaking.
I guess you could look at it that way, I was more thinking he has grown attached to her, dare I say love her as his "new" daughter and he she was going to die in the op and he done what ever "father" would and saved her. You could argue selfish to the rest of humanity, but that's the call as a "father" innit.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:46 pm Question for the gamers and non-gamers out there - were you satisfied with the focus less on the infected or would you have preferred more infected encounters?
Non-gamer and never heard of it before
I would have preferred a bit more 'infected' action and for other characters to be in it for longer
i didn't engage with the two main characters enough for them to be so much of the focus

having said that, the Walking Dead went too far the other way
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Never played it before and knew nothing about it.

I enjoyed the lack of 'zombies' and thought it was a fantastic season, as a said before I felt the final episode was the weakest of them all and just didn't 'land' for me. Look forward to season 2 and will probably buy the game when it appears on PC later this month.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Need more mushroom heads. Achievement accomplished
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:22 pm I guess you could look at it that way, I was more thinking he has grown attached to her, dare I say love her as his "new" daughter and he she was going to die in the op and he done what ever "father" would and saved her. You could argue selfish to the rest of humanity, but that's the call as a "father" innit.
That’s part of what I was referring to, especially including what he does to her after the rescue. We’re treading the spoilers line closely here, regardless, he says what he says and does what he does all while destroying their bond of trust. If and when she finds out I can’t see them surviving together. In a way, he has become one of the infected in the way he behaves and thinks and she doesn’t yet realize it.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

7.5/10 for me. Both leads were exceptional acting and at least half of the episodes were 'edge of the seat' storylines. I guess it can be tricky to do that for an entire series.

Look forward to the next series.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

I guess a few of us gamers that followed the story line closely already know this.....but for those that don't, great to see this :

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Having no loyalty to the game I went in wanting to be entertained which initially seemed to only happen every other episode -

E1 - good
E2 - average
E3 - very good
E4 - ok .

Having said that it was very well done - lots of money spent on it - I'll watch Season 2 .
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

My mate has a Youtube channel and suggested we do a podcast together, so if you fancy listening to a couple of nerds talk about TLOU for 4 hours, here it is: