The Last of Us

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Re: The Last of Us

Post by wolf359 »

Episode 5, not the easiest watch but compelling. Great show so far.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Episode 5. Wow. Best one yet.
smuts

Post by smuts »

S-H wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:54 am Ep5 is out now because of the Super Bowl.

Good episode.

What was that thing though?

:shock:
In the game they're called Bloaters, someone who's been infected for years.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

smuts wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:36 pm In the game they're called Bloaters, someone who's been infected for years.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

smuts wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:36 pm In the game they're called Bloaters, someone who's been infected for years.
Supposedly the fourth state of infection, following runner, stalker and clicker in that order. Although stalkers haven't been mentioned, probably wisely, as they behave significantly differently from other infected.

In episode two, Ellie asks '“So there aren’t superinfected that explode fungus spores on you? Or ones with split-open heads that see in the dark like bats?”'

This was alluding to clickers and bloaters. Listening to the HBO podcast, they took the decision to not include fungal spores as, they said, realistically spores would be everywhere and not just concentrated in one area.
In the game, when you come across an area with spores, your character will don a mask otherwise they'll become infected from breathing them. And bloaters would throw fungal spores at you, presumably to try and spread the infection.
smuts

Post by smuts »

I gave the game a try not so long ago and to be honest found the combat really frustrating. One slight mistake and suddenly you are overwhelmed with enemies.

Storyline was better than the gameplay.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Yeah, me and the boy nickname these things 'Burger John'.

You lot better hope that they don't make a TV show out of the second game :eyes:
smuts

Post by smuts »

I think I gave up before well before I got to fighting those things.

From memory I got to the 6 storey building with Tess and Ellie where you have to clear out a floor of about 4 zombies. Drove me mad and turned it off after about 5 attempts to do it using stealth and never went back.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

Just starting watching it, excellent so far, one of the best things Sky have put on for a while
'stone hammer

Post by 'stone hammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:55 pm You lot better hope that they don't make a TV show out of the second game :eyes:
A second series has been commissioned, so I can only imagine they will :D

I reckon, with a few small tweaks, it'll be just as good.

'stone hammer wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:34 pm A second series has been commissioned, so I can only imagine they will :D

I reckon, with a few small tweaks, it'll be just as good.
I'm being serious, here; the second game should be a feature film, directed by a serious professional.

The storyline and the way the intertwine it across characters, in LOU2, is worthy of that.
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

I would say TLOU:2 definitely deserves at least a couple of series’ - I feel the same about the first though honestly - I hope the first season isn’t the whole of the game as even though so far it’s been excellent, a 12 episode run just doesn’t feel like it will cover the breadth and depth of it all.

Also, even though I knew what was coming with episode 5, it still got me right in the gut.
'stone hammer

Post by 'stone hammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:47 pm I'm being serious, here; the second game should be a feature film, directed by a serious professional.

The storyline and the way the intertwine it across characters, in LOU2, is worthy of that.
Ohh sorry P:M, were you saying that you don't think Part 2 would work as a series?
'stone hammer

Post by 'stone hammer »

simonpaulthomas wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:48 pm I would say TLOU:2 definitely deserves at least a couple of series’ - I feel the same about the first though honestly - I hope the first season isn’t the whole of the game as even though so far it’s been excellent, a 12 episode run just doesn’t feel like it will cover the breadth and depth of it all.
Hate to break it to you mate, but it's only 9 episodes and covers the first game :lol: looking at the IMDB images for each episode, I can kind of gather what's going to be in each episode. Given that some of them are going to be 90+ minutes, I reckon they'll have paced it just right and not missed much.
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Well f*** - they’re going to run out of source material sooner rather than later!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Episode 5 was a corker

'stone hammer wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:54 pm Ohh sorry P:M, were you saying that you don't think Part 2 would work as a series?
No, not specifically, just that the narrative of #2 could be just as easily made into a film, I suppose
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I think following the success and critical reception of this one, they’ll now have the ability to do what they want going forwards. The second part needs to be changed anyway from the game for the screen, (no spoilers for those who know).
'stone hammer

Post by 'stone hammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:53 am No, not specifically, just that the narrative of #2 could be just as easily made into a film, I suppose
I'm not so sure, I think there's, at the minimum, at least as much source material for part 2 as part 1, as well as a much larger scope for character development/backstory.
hammers92 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:01 am The second part needs to be changed anyway from the game for the screen, (no spoilers for those who know).
I'm genuinely curious to know what you'd change.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

'stone hammer wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:11 pm I'm genuinely curious to know what you'd change.
I think in its current form, not all of it is appropriate for a show that is intending to run for at least a few seasons. I wouldn’t be packaging all of the second part into one season for sure.

The material and story is just too rich for it to be rushed. I think they’ve got it absolutely bang on so far though, however it could easily have been spread across 2 seasons.

Genuinely don’t know why game adaptations generally struggle because the source material gives directors acres of content to work with. Hopefully this show turns a corner for when the next one happens.