The Last of Us

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Mayday
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 282 likes

Re: The Last of Us

Post by Mayday »

This show will in no way end up being like 'the walking dead' or like so many other shows which go on for ever without ever having satisfactory resolution.

The Last of Us is two games. Each has a great story which has a beginning, a middle and very satisfying endings. There is no neverending nonsense.
Each story is intertwined with the other in a couple of exceptional revelations and character developments.
You are in for a treat with this show.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Just watched episode 7. The Mrs and I, both lovers of the game, thought it was fantastic.
The couple that we watch the series with, who don't know the game especially well, didn't.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Really enjoyed that. The level of characterisation is incredible.
Deepster
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Deepster »

Another great episode, am so invested in the characters now. Will be another long wait for Monday.
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

That was a cracker. And I know it's been said already but that Bella Ramsey is an outstanding actor.

I'd also suggest that we are probably looking at two or three more seasons I reckon, to cover the stories in both games.
'stone hammer

Post by 'stone hammer »

Glad it wasn't just us then!

This was the episode that really sold Bella Ramsey for me. I thought last week that the 'you're not my daughter' fell somewhat flat, given that we've just not seen Ellie be emotionally vulnerable up to that point, she's been too much of a hard-nosed character for me to genuinely believe that she'd be that scared without Joel.

Compared to the game, the roles have flipped somewhat; Joel is completely closed off and Ellie is something of an open book in the game. However that scene is one of the most iconic moments in the game, it hits very hard, and I think the writers felt they had to include it.

See what you think of the scene from the game

However this was the episode where we got to see that side of Ellie, and Ramsey nailed it. The actress playing Riley was fantastic too, especially for a one-episode character.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Ridiculously good acting from the 2 girls. Bella Ramsey is nailing every scene, and what scenes they are. I'm loving every episode and cannot wait for the next one.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

I think I will be on my own with my views re Ep.7 Left Behind

Bella Ramsey and Storm Reid were fantastic. From a pure acting perspective they both delivered flawless performances that encapsulated the depression within the current world and the glimpses of freedom and relief that can be felt from the smallest of things, such as the nostalgia of an abandoned mall.

On the flipside, the show is treading a very fine line between being too in depth with characters/backstories/sidestories and having a nice blend of slow-build up mixed with raw edge of seat tension. I like slow burners but the show is slow. Very slow. To use the entirety of this episode to centre around what it did was perhaps a little unnecessary and I actually think it lost a lot of the tension that has been the core to it so far.

I almost wished I hadn't played the game (this episode was DLC from the game), as I knew what was about to happen and perhaps that hinders my anticipation of what is about to happen a little. I am enjoying the show but after being hyped for it after the first few episodes I found myself feeling slightly underwhelmed at the end of the latest episode.

The show is extremely true to the game, I just think so far the content feels better within the game than on the screen.
'stone hammer

Post by 'stone hammer »

Denzil wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:44 am I like slow burners but the show is slow. Very slow. To use the entirety of this episode to centre around what it did was perhaps a little unnecessary and I actually think it lost a lot of the tension that has been the core to it so far.
I feel like slow burner is the wrong description for TLOU. Episodes like Left Behind, that is the story at full pelt. I'm all for learning and seeing the characters' experiences and am in no rush to get to the end.

I can't remember who said it, but they described the story as light on action, but heavy on emotional action, which I thought was a good phrase.
I just think so far the content feels better within the game than on the screen
Can't argue with that, if the game's storytelling is a 10/10, i'd give the TV series an 8.5 currently.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Never played the game. I had never heard of it before the TV series came out

i have found the last two episodes a bit boring, truth be told

Hopefully it picks up a bit
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

Cracking episode.. loving the sort of side story episodes to fill the background in...... brilliant acting..

Never played the game so it's all new to me... really enjoying it
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I suppose not every episode can be 100mph, but I enjoyed it nonetheless, the anticipation of what we knew was going to happen was still intense..

I expect it would be better viewed in one sitting, perhaps, the weeks wait possibly doesn't help others enjoy it, but I actually quite like it.

I'm still very much enjoying it, I do love this genre.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

That seemed about 25 minutes long. No spoilers.
I am loving this series. As good as anything I've seen for years. The weekly format builds tension and anticipation nicely. Better than binge watching by a long chalk for this type of story.
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Brilliant episode tonight,just when you thought Bella Ramsey couldn't get any better
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

Yep, another cracker and not short on violence either :shock:
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

Wow
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Finally caught up with all episodes.

Last episode was a bit :shock: in places!

Really enjoyed it, not sure it would go on my favourite list, but a very good series all the same.

Bella Ramsey impressed me in GOT, she has gone to new levels in this, cracking actor. On screen relationship with Pedro Pascal is nothing short of brilliant.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

That last episode was the reason I chose to watch this. Blood and **** all over the place. More of the same please.

Massive return to form IMO. :newthumb:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I don't think I took a breath..

I love how they can change the tempo like a flick of a switch.

Awesome television.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Ellie is a badass. Great episode.