The Last of Us

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Re: The Last of Us

Post by WCpete »

Pretty much Ellie's show now. Joel had been the driver early episodes but now he's clearly supporting Ellie. Never played the game so I assume this is the direction moving forward. Not sure how she hasn't developed a facial tic yet. She's been through the wringer and back.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

WCpete wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:11 pm Never played the game so I assume this is the direction moving forward.
While Joel is injured the player actually switches to playing Ellie until Joel goes on his rescue mission, where the player's perspective switches back and forth between the characters IIRC until the end of the episode.

The show has dialled back some of the violence and brutality that you see in the game, so I was very happy to see Joel's interrogation scene included.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

If the second season follows the near perfect second game, it’s going to blow away the non-gamers out there.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Good to see you back posting again Stoney :newthumb:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:35 am If the second season follows the near perfect second game, it’s going to blow away the non-gamers out there.
totally agree and I've only played (repeatedly) the game, without seeing a single moment of the tv show!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:35 am If the second season follows the near perfect second game, it’s going to blow away the non-gamers out there.
As a non gamer will look forward to it. I presume due to the excellent reviews they are filming the 2nd series or at least it has been commissioned?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:48 am As a non gamer will look forward to it. I presume due to the excellent reviews they are filming the 2nd series or at least it has been commissioned?
I haven't watched any of this series, but I know both the games, and I'm actually trying to think of ways they could long it out and tear the arse out of it as I'm sure they're keen to do after S1's success.

A 2nd series, which followed the game plot and ended at the exact moment the 2nd game does, without any follow on or third series would be spot on and it's what they should do. But the producers are bound to just keep it going and let it rot.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

The last episode was a bit meh IMHO
Not a bad first series but I cant say I will be counting down the days until Series 2
I find Ellie pretty annoying and Joel is a bit of a **** when it boils down to it
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Not bad. Pretty much a run through beat by beat of the last section of the game...

Except Joel didn't swear loudly like I did when I realise I'd spent hours sneaking about conserving a ton of ammo I didn't even get to use...
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:02 pm I haven't watched any of this series, but I know both the games, and I'm actually trying to think of ways they could long it out and tear the arse out of it as I'm sure they're keen to do after S1's success.

A 2nd series, which followed the game plot and ended at the exact moment the 2nd game does, without any follow on or third series would be spot on and it's what they should do. But the producers are bound to just keep it going and let it rot.
Apparently the 2nd game will be spread over 2 seasons. Haven't played either game so no idea whether that makes sense or not.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:14 pm Apparently the 2nd game will be spread over 2 seasons. Haven't played either game so no idea whether that makes sense or not.
Nope, it doesn't really make much sense, other than them wanting to make more episodes.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Final episode arguably the weakest of the season by a distance. Been a fantastic eight, shame the ninth (for me) didn’t generally hit the mark

Look forward to season 2 and might even play the upcoming PC release of the game.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I only have a PS3 - is it worth getting for that?
'stone hammer

Post by 'stone hammer »

Been a decent series, but it's failed to hit some of the emotional highs/lows of the game.

I think the changes they've made to some of the narrative and the character of Joel specifically meant the final episode fell a bit flat.

Bella Ramsey has been the highlight for me, with episode 7 being my favourite by far.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Again, I didn't see the time go by but not the best episode. Interesting interplay between philosophy (is taking one innocent life a decent trade off against possibly saving humanity) and Joel's ebbing and flowing humanity when it comes to protecting Ellie and especially protecting his relationship with her, and thus his own 'salvation'....
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:27 pm I only have a PS3 - is it worth getting for that?
I enjoyed the story of the game...the gameplay not so much.
'stone hammer

Post by 'stone hammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:27 pm I only have a PS3 - is it worth getting for that?
Although it's been remastered a couple of times, it doesn't look too bad graphically on the ps3. Depends how fussy you are.

After watching the series, I'd say the game is still unequivocally the best way to experience the story.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Toulouse_Iron wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:46 pm Again, I didn't see the time go by but not the best episode. Interesting interplay between philosophy (is taking one innocent life a decent trade off against possibly saving humanity) and Joel's ebbing and flowing humanity when it comes to protecting Ellie and especially protecting his relationship with her, and thus his own 'salvation'....
So, no spoilers then? :winker:
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:30 am Good to see you back posting again Stoney :newthumb:
:newthumb: appreciate that. It’s been a few years.
prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:59 pm totally agree and I've only played (repeatedly) the game, without seeing a single moment of the tv show!
The show is good but, sorry to say - I don’t think it’s been perfect. I’ve not seen the finale yet, but I am disappointed it only has a 45 minute running time. Too much to cram in that small amount.
Clacton-ammer wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:48 am As a non gamer will look forward to it. I presume due to the excellent reviews they are filming the 2nd series or at least it has been commissioned?
A second season has been confirmed and by the sounds of it will be faithful to the events of the sequel.

On a side note - Has anyone listened to the official podcast? It’s quite informative and is part-presented by the producers who do a great job of heightening the experience and break down each episode.
Well worth the listen on the drive/train journey home.
Last edited by SirStoneyOfBow on Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Good news on the 2nd series, will look forward to it.

I imagine in game play the last episode would have taken about 32 lives to complete.. Apart from that I enjoyed it, was a very good series.