Summer 2023/24 Transfer Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1673 likes

Re: Summer Rebuild 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

I’m sad. I really wanted him.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

westlondonhammer wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:46 am Surprised Ugarte is going to PSG... I was being educated over the weekend on here about how nobody picks PSG over a PL team :winker:
Close but not quite true.

You were being ‘educated’ about top prem players not moving to PSG unless they are French………and they still aren’t given Ugarte has never played in the prem.

:winker:

(That's without factoring Chelsea finished 11th last season and it seems they lack the finances to complete the deal so aren’t a viable option for the player in anyway.)
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1077 likes
Total likes: 1381 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Wilko1304 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:31 pm I am not going to even give Ansu Fati to West Ham any time.
None of us should waste our time thinking about it...

These posts were 2 posts too many on the subject
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 3014 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:21 am It's easy to talk ourselves into wanting to make changes but our initial focus needs to be on those that are most needed and which should give the biggest marginal gains.

Use whatever the budget originally was to replace the Coventry, Dawson and Lanzini with significant new arrivals at CB,CM and AM.

The knock on should be new starters at CB,CM,AM - unseating Soucek and Benrahma and challenging/replacing the inconsistent, albeit for different reasons, Aguerd and Zouma.
Yes, I think that is sensible. Use the squad spaces to upgrade the first choice XI, allowing the not quite so good become bench options rather than nailed on starters each week.Benny off the bench is a far better look to me than Benny as a starter.I'm sure other posters may feel the same about Soucek.

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:21 am Only after that, should we start worrying about further outs and ins such as Scamacca.
The issue is Scamacca. For what ever reason he doesn't look settled. Moyes comments regarding his fitness are not going to go away, and if he isn't fit he won't play, so we may as well move him on.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:58 pm We are being mentioned as a suitor for Ansu Fati.
Plenty of Fattys in my part of the ground. Bring in more I say.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:53 pm Villa want him. Many think he's awful but Emery likes him.
Bravo.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 668 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Has there been any update on this Paul Mitchell bloke?

Hopefully he can join the recruitment team and can spearhead a plan with Newman about how we will spend the Rice dosh
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1077 likes
Total likes: 1381 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

stu1 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:19 pm Close but not quite true.

You were being ‘educated’ about top prem players not moving to PSG unless they are French………and they still aren’t given Ugarte has never played in the prem.

:winker:

(That's without factoring Chelsea finished 11th last season and it seems they lack the finances to complete the deal so aren’t a viable option for the player in anyway.)
Clearly hit a nerve :winker:

I do have to give you credit that the ts and cs on this argument seem to be growing though by the response... So 'the PL is more a more attractive proposition than PSG' now has a growing list of 'unless...' :chin:

I'd imagine Chelsea can afford to compete financially... but there are other reasons they are pulling out (i.e., PSG are a more attractive proposition)... and that's compared to a club who actually wins major honours (Chelsea) every few years.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5670 likes
Total likes: 3087 likes

Post by MB »

What changes would make Moyes happy to play from the start the way we do when we go a goal down?

Without that, changing the forwards and attacking midfielders is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

For me that still comes back to the fullbacks and maybe a holding player. Something to give Moyes the confidence to take the handbrake off.
D C
Has liked: 1120 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by D C »

Mendes is trying to drag Fati to Wolves but he doesn’t want to go there. It’s unlikely he’d feel differently about coming to us

He looked like he was going to be the next great thing but he’s lost a step since his second bad knee injury in recent years on top of another bad injury last year

It sounds like their get Messi back plan is contingent on selling two out of Fati, Ferran and Raphinha. Raphinha would be too expensive but Ferran is a tidy player between the lines and a good age with prem experience if we wanted to genuinely be better in possession he’d be a good option
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

If Scamacca does go, I'll lose interest in our striker signings. It really wont matter anymore. They all will fail, there's no point getting excited about any of them. Sign some B-tier try hard like Che Adams to be a battering ram for everyone else. The idea of trying to upgrade the position so we play better football seems futile. Someone big and mobile, don't worry about how many they can score. Let that be a problem for our wide forwards and attacking mids.

I'd be focusing all available resources on a central midfielder. If Rice leaves then we need two, because Soucek needs to be relegated to the bench. If we can upgrade Soucek (which we absolutely should be able to do) then the downgrade we will have to make with the Rice replacement becomes far less stark and negatively influential. We cannot expect to replace Rice so we need to be more creative in how we go about building our midfield.

I obviously don't rate Soucek, but whether you rate him or not isn't really relevant. This is still a logical approach to tackling the void Rice will leave. We can't realistically upgrade Paqueta so an upgrade for Soucek should be a serious target. Otherwise we are knowingly going backwards.
Benaloon
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 413 likes

Post by Benaloon »

D C wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:01 pm Mendes is trying to drag Fati to Wolves but he doesn’t want to go there. It’s unlikely he’d feel differently about coming to us

He looked like he was going to be the next great thing but he’s lost a step since his second bad knee injury in recent years on top of another bad injury last year

It sounds like their get Messi back plan is contingent on selling two out of Fati, Ferran and Raphinha. Raphinha would be too expensive but Ferran is a tidy player between the lines and a good age with prem experience if we wanted to genuinely be better in possession he’d be a good option
Ferran is undoubtedly a very good player, but not sure he offers enough in terms of goal threat/involvement for the money he'd cost (putting aside the 'would he come here question'). 23 goal involvements in 73 games for Barcelona (not quite 1 in 3) isn't really all that - especially in a dominant possession heavy team, Benrahma is 41 in 132 so about the same level whilst just as a point of comparison Bowen has 71 in 157 for us so not far off 1 in 2 which is what we should be aiming for.

Edit: to be fair, he did get 20 in 43 for Man City, so maybe he is better suited to the premier league! sign him up
stu1

Post by stu1 »

Wilko1304 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:31 pm I am not going to even give Ansu Fati to West Ham any time.

Spurs apparently looking for a big overhaul and to offload:

Sessegnon
Davies
Perisic
Sánchez
Réguilon
Lo Celso
Winks

Also not making Danjuma permanent or Lenglet.

Mostly worried that they’re going to sell Dier and we’d be that stupid.
I don’t think we’ll do any business with Tottenham no matter which players are available from either club and I’d like to keep it that way.

On that basis the only player I’d potentially be interested in would be Danjuma. I can’t confess to know much about his situation but he seems to have talent and a bit of ‘x’ factor that we can often miss in games. If there was a deal to be made at a cut price or a loan with an obligation to buy then that could work.

Although if there is any chance we can get Harvey Barnes then I’d make him a top priority instead. Similarly I’d like to see us go for KWP (for right back :wink:), you’d hope we could get him for around £15m which would be a great purchase with limited risk imo.
Hammer992
Has liked: 66 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Hammer992 »

If we're looking looking for players with potential from the Championship (we do have a pretty good record of it), along with the likes of Viktor Gyokeres & Alex Scott I hope to see the name Adam Wharton being mentioned as someone we're looking at. Plays like someone in their mid 20s with seasons under his belt already

johnnyboy123
Has liked: 361 likes
Total likes: 272 likes

Post by johnnyboy123 »

stu1 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:14 pmOn that basis the only player I’d potentially be interested in would be Danjuma. I can’t confess to know much about his situation but he seems to have talent and a bit of ‘x’ factor that we can often miss in games. If there was a deal to be made at a cut price or a loan with an obligation to buy then that could work.
Weren't we strongly linked with him last summer? Were there some doubts about his character?
johnnyboy123
Has liked: 361 likes
Total likes: 272 likes

Post by johnnyboy123 »

Hammer992 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:20 pm If we're looking looking for players with potential from the Championship (we do have a pretty good record of it), along with the likes of Viktor Gyokeres & Alex Scott I hope to see the name Adam Wharton being mentioned as someone we're looking at. Plays like someone in their mid 20s with seasons under his belt already
I know Youtube highlights reel blah blah blah, but this kid is 18 in those clips (he only turned 19 on Friday). I like him a lot, especially given his age. Seems like a no-brainer that someone is going to buy him and maybe loan him back to Blackburn for another season. Good spot H992 :clap: :clap: :clap:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4380 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

D C wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:01 pm Raphinha would be too expensive
I'm not so sure.

I think the bigger issue is whether he'd play for us, but if we were in Europe again and Rice and Paqueta were both here, I'd guess it's more likely that he'd say yes now than it was 18 months ago.

Add Fred and Richarlison :D

Just like watching Brazil.
Hamburger
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 444 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Calling Fati........

Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

I thought raphinha said no because he wanted to go to Barca…

Who else is he going to that could afford fee and wages? Think there is prob better value out there anyway
stu1

Post by stu1 »

westlondonhammer wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:40 pm Clearly hit a nerve
Yet you are the one referring to our previous discussion days later when not even talking to me :chin:
westlondonhammer wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:40 pm I do have to give you credit that the ts and cs on this argument seem to be growing though by the response... So 'the PL is more a more attractive proposition than PSG' now has a growing list of 'unless...' :chin:
This is what I said, nothing added, you just seem to be struggling to compute the full context of a post.
stu1 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:21 pm I can’t think of a single top prem player who has moved to PSG in their prime and I’d be surprised if that changes unless the player is French.
It seems to be a common trend in your responses, for instance, my original post said:
stu1 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:21 pm What trophies do PSG actually win though, the French league and French cup. Are those trophies really that appealing? PSG are a bit of a basket case tbh. I’d be surprised if Odegard wants to move there, Saliba I could believe due to being French but the premier league is a big draw.
Yet for some unknown reason you still felt the need responded with this.
westlondonhammer wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:09 pm For a French man the French titles are very appealing i would imagine. Its very arrogant to suggest that merely playing in the PL is a bigger drawcard to someone French winning French titles...
:?

In future, if you can’t be bothered to read my posts properly then there really isn’t much point replying to them.
westlondonhammer wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:40 pm I'd imagine Chelsea can afford to compete financially... but there are other reasons they are pulling out (i.e., PSG are a more attractive proposition)... and that's compared to a club who actually wins major honours (Chelsea) every few years.
There have been quite big changes at Chelsea since their last trophy, not sure if you’ve noticed?

In any case, even if we ignore what I actually said (you seem to do this anyway). Arsenal losing their captain to PSG after they’ve finished 2nd is hardly comparable to PSG signing someone who’s never played prem, especially when the other bidding party from the prem is Chelsea who finished 11th and are in disarray.