Summer 2023/24 Transfer Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Re: Summer Rebuild 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by funky chicken »

So, if we stick with the same formation we are currently using, assuming Cresswell has signed a new 1 year contract and Fab, Coufal and Oggy get new contracts, we have the following players for each position…..

——————-————Fabianski/Areola/Anang———————————

Kehrer/Johnson-Zouma/Ogbonna-Aguerd/Cresswell/Luizão

Coufal/?————————————————————————Emerson/?

————Rice/Downes/Coventry—-Paqueta/Soucek——————-

Bowen/Cornet—————————————————Benrahma:Fornals

——————————-Scamacca/Antonio/Ings———————————-

I’ve not included the other players who will be out of contract this summer, such as Lanzini.

That leaves us a 24 man squad, with 9 homegrown players, if I am not mistaken? I’ve left Declan in there for now. But I imagine he’ll be offski, so it’ll then become a 23 man squad, with 8 homegrown players.

Interestingly the positions that require another body, an upgrade, or even a different type of player perhaps changes a little if we plan on reverting to a back 4. For example, we may not need a rightback if we go with a 4, as we have Coufal, Johnson and even Kehrer at a push who can play there. But in a 5 when Johnson and Kehrer are better in the middle, that just leaves us with Coufal as an option at wingback and then all of a sudden we arguably need a right wingback.

Looking at that squad with that formation we unquestioningly need a new wingback for either side. Unless young Ollie Scarles is rated so highly he’ll be included as a left wingback option, if what Noble said about freeing up space for the u18s has any legs. It’s certainly the easiest formation to risk playing a kid. But one as young as 17 may be optimistic.

Centre halves become interesting as with a back 5 it perhaps doesn’t look quite as desperate when you consider again we also have 3 young centre halves waiting in the wings in Casey, Laing and Luizão. The latter being 21 next month, so not that young. If the manager plans on sometimes playing a back 4 though then it becomes a big requirement. I suspect Moyes will look at one either way, knowing how often Zouma and Aguerd have been injured during their time at the club. Oggy also isn’t getting any younger. Although his performances this season at times have hidden that well!

A central midfielder will be looked at if Rice leaves. Should he somehow stay, we are fine in that position.

In terms of quality, I can imagine an upgrade will be targeted for the attacking midfield options. Particularly someone who can play on the left with Benrahma’s inconsistent performances and Cornet never being available. I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of Scamacca and Antonio being traded for another forward. Probably Antonio knowing his age, years left on contract and if recent comments are anything to go by. Bowen and even Cornet can also become striker options though.

Looking at that squad, even if Rice and Antonio leave, our homegrown situation isn’t quite as bad as some and even I anticipated. Although with the lack of leadership throughout the squad, it’s hard to imagine the manager not looking at 1-3 homegrown players.

With that formation, no more than 6 new players needed.
- Right wingback (priority)
- Left wingback (priority)
- Centre half (?)
- Central midfielder (If Rice leaves, priority)
- Attacking midfielder (priority, due to lack of goals)
- Striker (priority, due to a lack of goals)
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

next summer will see a few leave for sure rice 120m vlasic 12m antonio 10m benrahma 25m lanzini out of contract 167m in
new 1 year deals for cresswell ogbonna fabianski

we will need LB RB CB CM X 2 CF/winger x 2

for midfield I can see gallagher and JWP coming in for 70m possibly billing 20m from bournemouth if they drop
CF/winger sarr 25m plus another che adams 20m ?
kyle walker peters from southampton would be a good addition if saints drop 20m ?
CB lynako from saints 15m

easily spend the rice money next summer !

whatever we do no more old players we need players who have a good 5 years left in them . all the above do !
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

I'd be very disappointed in our chief scout if we only signed players from relegated clubs and Championship clubs.

Surely with a wider network we can find better than Southampton and Bournemouth players?
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

I think there are some good players there who would want a move, be on PL contracts so club eager to shift and have PL experience.
saints- salisu walker-peters,che adams, lyanco, JWP
bournemouth - zemura, billing, solanke
forest- gibbs-white, worrall
leeds - ayling,adams, gnonto, harrison
everton - pickford, onana,gray,godfrey,

just a few we could have a look at. some will have bigger clubs after them for sure; pickford for sure.

all have PL experience and most are 26 or younger which should fit our player profile.

jonny foreigner is not always the best. we also need some home grown and experience PL performers.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:24 am I think there are some good players there who would want a move, be on PL contracts so club eager to shift and have PL experience.
saints- salisu walker-peters,che adams, lyanco, JWP
I'd only go for JWP if he was a realistic price.
I don't think he is what we need to replace Rice and the £70m fees discussed last summer are mental.

I'd rather go for Lavia tbh. Also see how Alcaraz does. They do have some good young potential.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:09 am I'd be very disappointed in our chief scout if we only signed players from relegated clubs and Championship clubs.

Surely with a wider network we can find better than Southampton and Bournemouth players?
Surely the chief scout only identifies potential players.
That will include premier league, Championship and wider afield.
It's the managers choice who we sign.

I'd say we will be very cautious in signing too many non UK based.
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

We also have to bear in mind we perhaps won’t be as much of a catch this summer. If for example we finish 15th, don’t win a trophy and won’t be in Europe next season, then we’re far less likely to be attractive to the likes of a Paqueta, Scamacca etc. So this would limit the calibre of players to target. I’m not saying it’s impossible if you especially dangle a lot of money in front of a player, but it’s not as easy.

I’ve got no issues shopping for players in the Championship and from relegated clubs if there are good players there. It certainly didn’t do us any harm to get us where we have been in the 2 seasons prior. And we may even have found another gem last summer with Flynn Downes. We all know Cornet has a lot to offer when fit, who was signed from relegated Burnley.

Everton relied on this under Moyes. And even the Spuds used to pick up players from relegated clubs and from the Championship, when establishing their self as a top 7 team. They still do today, with the signing of Spence from Middlesbrough last summer. Targeting players from the leagues below the Premier league got them Gareth Bale.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I think I would look to do this in the opposite way to normal. I'd do the squad tidy up first, before the major changes.

Sort out Vlasic (£12m), Masuaku (£2m) and Cresswell (TBC) first, and spend the raised funds on 2-3 defenders - Mendy, Aina and a LWB.

After that, think about Lanzini, Fornals, Benrahma, Soucek.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

We are in a better position to do that this summer, there really is no need to keep any players around late in the window just in case.

I’m a bit worried we are going to spend our summer distracted by furore around Rice. I can see us thinking we’re smart as we play for £5-10m more over weeks and months, and then lose track of our own work.

To some extent, I think I’d like us to act fast on incomings and then play it cool around Rice.

I don’t think there’s really any secrets in football, but I can see a lot of sense in agreeing a price early with a club and then asking to keep it delayed and quiet so we can do some business before the prices go up.
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

It would be nice for the first time in over a year to go into a run of league games not sweating over what defenders we have available to play. Let’s also take the fullbacks seriously for a change please, Mr. Sullivan!

I see our old friend Nikola Vlasic hasn’t contributed any goal since the 9th November. And was even dropped to the bench for Torino’s game before their latest match. Which probably explains why the supporters on social media constantly whinging about how Moyes used him have gone very quiet! So is his £12m permanent move to Torino this summer now in doubt?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Wilko1304 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:27 pm
To some extent, I think I’d like us to act fast on incomings and then play it cool around Rice.
Not sure how easy it will be to act fast when we could be anywhere from the Championship to playing in the Europa league next season and won’t know until late in the day.

It will be another three list transfer window with probably little overlap.

Deals take time and this is where we suffer the most from our lack of consistency. We cannot start negotiating in April every season.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I reckon a lot will depend on what happens with the manager. I can see us in a bit of a pickle again having not recruited the manager quickly then losing Rice and having to bed in the new manager and players once the season gets underway. Then the new manager will either be the best thing since sliced bread as he’s hit the ground running or under pressure and looking like one of the first casualties as we start eyeing up has been managers like Spanish waiter as a replacement and just hope we aren’t cut adrift by Christmas 🎅🏻 ho ho ho
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

nivce and positive !

I reckon moyes will be gone in the summer and either potter or pochettino in.
rice sold for 120m

gallagher and JWP in 60m ?
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

First thing is to decide on the preferred system then to find players to suit that whilst still having a squad adaptable enough to change.

What struck me at the weekend was despite the paucity of possession etc when we scored we had 3 bodies in the box looking to get on the end of the cross. We have played far more “attacking” football this season and not had anything like that sort of number actually going in where you can hurt the opposition. It was exactly the type of goal Moyes was crying out for (and was decried by some for doing so - suddenly this adverse reaction to crosses is less, when you are not scoring from crosses it is often the fault of the attackers not the system).

Also there is a need for balance. There is always a get rid of X or do not sign Y because of age argument. Whilst, as a squad, we were too old overall last season having a number of experienced heads in and around the squad and team is essential. I bet Southampton would not mind a few older heads right now. It helps overseas players and younger players settle in.

Clearly they gave to be able to contribute but it is why if physically they think they are up to it I have no issue with new contracts for the likes of Cresswell, Oggie or Fab. Sometimes it bites you as they are that year to far (Zaba springs to mind) but if used as we did with Noble for me it works.

We know Rice is likely off, same with Coventry and Lanzini. We will need another CM to deal with losing Rice (assuming Soucek stays otherwise 2). Convert the Coventry spot to a more attack minded midfielder be that a 10 or the wide positions likely to be, as a minimum, threatening to start and you have the basics of a strongish squad where you can then look to upgrade a few positions (eg LB or CB) with quality.
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

Personally i'd like to see us sign one of Gallagher or JPW, leaning towards Gallagher due to the age difference. Along with a midfield enforcer who will sit and break up play, in the mould of Sangare at PSV.

Would be happy seeing Sangare, Gallagher, Paqueta, Soucek and Downes as our CM options next season. Albeit we would probably still be weaker down to the loss of Rice
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Wilko1304 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:27 pm I don’t think there’s really any secrets in football, but I can see a lot of sense in agreeing a price early with a club and then asking to keep it delayed and quiet so we can do some business before the prices go up.
You just know we'll waste half the summer trying to convince Rice to stay, getting a pittance when we realise he's now got the hump and then over pay on replacements...

But with the second part of a squad rebuild and the Rice situation ...feels like a lot of moving parts in play...One reason why I think changing the manager in the summer is a bad idea.

Bagging Maguire and JWP early doors for 80m...and then letting Rice go feels like a decent outcome for us.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Too many unknowns for me, any or all of which will effect our squad needs, desires and possibilities.

How we finish the season (position, form, cups).
Which league are we in?
Ownership?
Who the Manager is?
Rice?

To speculate on squad changes now means you have to first speculate on the above.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:35 am Too many unknowns for me, any or all of which will effect our squad needs, desires and possibilities.

How we finish the season (position, form, cups).
Which league are we in?
Ownership?
Who the Manager is?
Rice?

To speculate on squad changes now means you have to first speculate on the above.
In an ideal world, or a well organised business, there would be some alternative scenarios planned. Being West Ham we’ll wait until we know for definite before starting anything, mess about delaying Rice exit, deciding on any management change, and desperately scramble to get a few players in too late for a full integrated preseason. No club gets all they want however much prep is done, but doing none seems to be our methodology, until we sort the infrastructure and strategy it’s all pot luck, and this season demonstrates how risky that can be.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Ozza »

hammerman11 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:22 am nivce and positive !

I reckon moyes will be gone in the summer and either potter or pochettino in.
rice sold for 120m

gallagher and JWP in 60m ?
No chance of Potter or Poch
Hermit_Road
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Hermit_Road »