Summer 2023/24 Transfer Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Benaloon
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 412 likes

Re: Summer Rebuild 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by Benaloon »

Fred would be worth a punt actually if Man U want rid. underrated player
Hamburger
Has liked: 864 likes
Total likes: 447 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Alphonso Davies will not be renewing his contract at Bayern this season. Top class left back, would be a dream come true.

Tammy Abraham torn ACL and sick note Fati seem perfect!
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3039 likes
Total likes: 2684 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Hamburger wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:16 pm Alphonso Davies will not be renewing his contract at Bayern this season. Top class left back, would be a dream come true.

Tammy Abraham torn ACL and sick note Fati seem perfect!
Calling Ansu Fati a sick note, while describing Alphonso Davies as a "dream", who has been out almost a year since mid 2020 because of several muscle injuries seems about right, yeah... .
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3195 likes

Post by WCpete »

It’ll be interesting to see which direction this thread turns by Thursday morning. Will we be shopping at waitrose or asda? Knowing us it’ll probably be ebay
I am Legend
Has liked: 1599 likes
Total likes: 1655 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Alphonso Davies will probably end up at Real Madrid.

Still no proper links to anyone for us, won't be any until after Wednesday I'd suppose.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1080 likes
Total likes: 1393 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Oh stu... it was a tongue-in-cheek throw away remark that has triggered your response today. I honestly couldn't even remember who I was even chatting to about it on the weekend :crylol:

I suggest you put me on your foe list fella so you don't feel compelled to reply to me when you don't agree with me in future (for full context, which is where this all started) :newthumb: . Especially, given my reading problems and all!

This is all a little boring I'm sure you'll agree?
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

WCpete wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:34 pm It’ll be interesting to see which direction this thread turns by Thursday morning. Will we be shopping at waitrose or asda? Knowing us it’ll probably be ebay
Oh by Thursday morning I expect this forum will be an absolute river of blood....The mixture of rage, disappointment and the night before's alcohol will be too much for most of us.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 854 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Benaloon wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:15 pm Fred would be worth a punt actually if Man U want rid. underrated player
The classic dog chasing a carrier bag on a windy day kind of player, for me.

And that deliberate dread on the back of his bonce, that sticks upwards drives me nuts.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

westlondonhammer wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:01 pm Oh stu... it was a tongue-in-cheek throw away remark that has triggered your response today. I honestly couldn't even remember who I was even chatting to about it on the weekend :crylol:

I suggest you put me on your foe list fella so you don't feel compelled to reply to me when you don't agree with me in future (for full context, which is where this all started) :newthumb: . Especially, given my reading problems and all!

This is all a little boring I'm sure you'll agree?
No need to put you on my foe list.

It’s simple, if you are going to misquote my posts then I will ‘bore’ you with the facts of what has been said.

If that is an issue, feel free to use your own foe function.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1515 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Feel free to have the conversation in PMs. Or not at all. Just not on a thread, please :blowkiss:

I want this club to go out and get Thuram, Embolo, Sangare/Palhinha.

Do three serious bits of transfer work, send a message about what we want to do and want to be. Get those three signings right (LW, ST, CM) and I think we can do deals and bide our time elsewhere.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 263 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

Some interesting out of contract free transfers currently available, in theory, some of which have been linked with us before…

Jonathan Bamba, Lille LW, 27 years old.
Sead Kolasinac at Marseilles, the old Arsenal LB or LWB, 29
Andrea Belotti, Roma Striker, 29
Adrien Rabiot, Juventus CB, 28. Can’t see it, but what a replacement for Craig Dawson!
Adama Traore, Wolves RW, 27
Yerry Mina, Everton CB, 28
Youri Tielemans, Leicester CM, 26

Plus a few in the “surely not again territory”…

Jesse Lingard released from Forest, ha ha ha, 30 years old now
Ross Barkley released from Nice, 29, don’t do it Moyes
Chris Smalling released by Roma, can’t believe he’s 33!!

Coufal is also currently on the list and you’d assume he’s just negotiating a revised contract, which probably puts the others in context too. But some good discussion points!
stu1

Post by stu1 »

Wilko1304 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:15 pm I want this club to go out and get Thuram, Embolo, Sangare/Palhinha.
I think we need to be careful about making too many signings without prem experience, particularly if Moyes is going to be the manager next season which looks likely.

Similarly I’m not sure how feasible it is that we’ll be able to attract the best players from teams which finished above us this season.

There is much debate around what the ‘next level’ really means. One possible way to measure our progress is to consider if we are seen as a clear step up to newly promoted teams and teams which are typically bottom half. If we win on Wednesday that would certainly help, but our league campaign makes it a more difficult sell to players such as Palhinha.

It’s partly why our domestic campaign this year was such a frustration, as we looked on the cusp of reaching the next level, especially after signing some highly rated players last summer. Tbh I still can’t quite believe how poor we were this season but hopefully a win on Wednesday and another top 8 finish next season can help us solidify the position of ‘next level’. We may then have more chance of getting players like Palhinha and Olise from smaller prem clubs, but this summer I’m not so sure.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3095 likes

Post by MB »

Sloop John B wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:11 pm Oh by Thursday morning I expect this forum will be an absolute river of blood....The mixture of rage, disappointment and the night before's alcohol will be too much for most of us.
And that is when we win after a goal from a deflection off Antonio’s backside…
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

The next step means competing in Europe and domestically without sacrificing performance in one or the other. At the next level you have depth enough to to be competitive on all fronts as well as allowing for some tactical flexibility. The next step does not merely include bringing in players who will secure us a comfortable mid table position every season.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Wilko1304 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:15 pmDo three serious bits of transfer work, send a message about what we want to do and want to be. Get those three signings right (LW, ST, CM) and I think we can do deals and bide our time elsewhere.
I make you right, Wilko, although I lean towards the CM, an LB who plays like Cresswell did 7-8 years ago, one attacking player - either CF or LW. If Scamacca is off I lean more towards a centre forward. I do wonder if Moyes was hoping Cornet would be a central option, but from the sounds of it his injury was really severe and he's still recovering rather than being ready to go.

To me, that's the three first team signing we need to make this summer, and none of them should be contingent on a sale.

I do want a reserve on the right side to push/cover Bowen, though. The guy has over 100 appearances in the past two seasons, and his absences is notable.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I desperately want us to sign Youri Tielemans.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Wilko1304 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:15 pm I want this club to go out and get Thuram, Embolo, Sangare/Palhinha.

Do three serious bits of transfer work, send a message about what we want to do and want to be. Get those three signings right (LW, ST, CM) and I think we can do deals and bide our time elsewhere.
:newthumb:
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

YorksHammer wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:45 pm I desperately want us to sign Youri Tielemans.
He's talented, but he strikes me as someone who doesn't give his all if things aren't going hi way. Spoiler alert for him, things will not always go his way at West Ham.
stu1

Post by stu1 »

WCpete wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:40 pm The next step means competing in Europe and domestically without sacrificing performance in one or the other. At the next level you have depth enough to to be competitive on all fronts as well as allowing for some tactical flexibility. The next step does not merely include bringing in players who will secure us a comfortable mid table position every season.
I think that’s pretty fair, although I don’t think we were poor in the league because of Europe, especially as we mainly played weakened sides in Europe. If anything it probably helped us retain confidence.

The next level also involves playing a different way to the way we have this season. Moyes was correct when he said we needed to change our style of play to establish ourselves at the next level. The big question remains whether he can realistically implement that change, especially with our best player likely to leave.

It will be interesting to see if we try once again to change our style or abort that plan all together. I imagine we’ll know the answer long before a ball is kicked next season, for instance will we keep Scamacca or sign a striker with Antonio like attributes.
Last edited by stu1 on Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3039 likes
Total likes: 2684 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Wilko1304 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:15 pm Thuram, Embolo
Both are centre forwards.