Summer 2023/24 Transfer Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Re: Summer Rebuild 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by The Straw »

Wilko1304 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:53 pm Never been a big Conor Coady fan, but listening to him on the radio tonight, he sounded the kind of man you'd want in and around your squad. A solid guy, smart, passionate, empathetic and always thinking about his teammates.

If he'd take a rotation role, he'd be a decent pick up as Zouma back up.
Definitely seems like a sound bloke. Hasn't his best form been when playing in a back 3 though? For me I think he's better suited to being a leader in a smaller team where he will play every week.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Coady was, if I remember rightly, called England's player of the tournament by backroom staff in 2021 despite not playing a single minute. Definitely seems like the kind of guy who's a positive presence - question is whether or not he'd be happy with that sort of role.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

Hire him as a coach then, nowhere near the talent level we need as 3rd or 4th choice CB. Not even good enough for a terrible Everton side
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

The Straw wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:04 pm Definitely seems like a sound bloke. Hasn't his best form been when playing in a back 3 though? For me I think he's better suited to being a leader in a smaller team where he will play every week.
Exactly, he got his England call up based on playing in a 3 at Wolves. If we are thinking of going this route or as cover for Aguerd fine but in a 4 he lacks the “presence” required for what we really need which is someone to step in for Zouma/Ogbonna and be the dominant player.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

No ones paying £40m for Harry Maguire, not even Boehly is that crazy
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

I would be massively underwhelmed by Jonathan Tah. I think if we are going to spend £15M or more in a defender it should be someone like Max Kilman or Axel Disasi who are both younger and better than Tah
https://one-versus-one.com/en/compare-p ... xel-Disasi
https://one-versus-one.com/en/compare-p ... ian-kilman
As for replacements to Rice, I think McTominay and Tyler Adams’ combined would replace the ball carrying, tackling, and intercepting that Rice does. By the en$ o& the season Tyler Adam’s was getting to grips with the premier league an$ looked twice the player 5ge more heralded Weston Mckinnie did.
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

Defeat Fiorentina. Sign Amrabat.

Probably zero chance of the latter, but it would be nice.

And to be fair, it does appear we do virtually all of our overseas scouting on teams we play in Europe :crylol:
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Everton and West Ham could be braced to battle it out in the boardroom in an attempt to beat each other in the race to land Nottingham Forest winger Brennan Johnson in the upcoming transfer window.

Johnson is valued at £40million by Forest after his efforts helped keep Steve Cooper's side in the Premier League.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... nson.html
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Disagree with thay opinion on Coady above. He'd have a similar positive impact to Dawson. From the little I saw, I also don't think him/Tarkowski were Everton's big issue this year. It was a jumble of a squad and a complete lack of ideas going forward.

The issue with West Ham signing Coady is the same as Maguire. Zero encouragement to get the team higher up the pitch.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

For 40m I would definitely prefer Harrison or barnes

Just noticed he plays in the primarily on the right, second player we have been linked with on the right..

Is something going on with Bowen?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I'm not seeing the logic with Coady at all.

1. Wolves were happy to let him go, and Everton don't want him....so why should we think he's good enough?

2. We already have Fab, Oggy and Cresswell as 'dressing room leaders' - why do we need another?

3. We do not need another Dawson, imo. We need another fitter version of someone like Zouma or a younger Ogbonna.

4. We are, or should be, trying to reduce our dependence on players near , or at, veteran stage.

Whoever we bring in needs to be competitive in the air, but certainly quicker and more accomplished on the ball than Les was.

A mish-mash of technical passing players, and backs against the wall 'direct' ones has been one of the major reasons we have had our difficulties this season. Job half done.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2951 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

As some have asked about Jonathan Tah. He's a similar type of player to Zouma.

And I've got told that his camp are aware, that we intend to trigger his release-clause of 18m plus change, if we make it to Europe via the Final-win in Prague. Personal terms haven't been agreed.
Last edited by DusseldorfHammer on Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

I’m guessing personal terms aren’t going to be a problem, it whether he fancies the move to us?

Do you think he is worth the money? Decent deal?
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:46 am As some have asked about Jonathan Tah. He's a similar type of player to Zouma.

And I've got told that his camp are aware, that we intend to trigger his release-clause, of 18m plus change if we make it to Europe via the Final-win in Prague. Personal trerms haven't been agreed.
:thup:

Noticed that this thread's old mate Adam Hlozek is at Leverkusen with Tah. Had a decent first season in Germany, 9 goals/assists in the equivalent of 14 full games. Bit better than the other lad from Prague who ended up on loan at Stoke!
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:54 am :thup:

Noticed that this thread's old mate Adam Hlozek is at Leverkusen with Tah. Had a decent first season in Germany, 9 goals/assists in the equivalent of 14 full games. Bit better than the other lad from Prague who ended up on loan at Stoke!
Sima? As he went to Brighton, I believe the narrative demands that we accept that was a brilliant and smart signing.

I've long admired Tah from afar. Think he would be fairly successful for us. I actually would say, from the times I've watched him, he sits more towards Aguerd than Zouma, although really is a hybrid of the two. Has the latter's tendency to intercept the ball. When Tah has played for Leverkusen he's been much more likely to go in for a tackle than Zouma is, although less than Aguerd. He's also brilliant at the mid-length passes into midfield, something which Zouma and Aguerd don't do as often - although they also have less touches and attempted passes than Tah does.

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_co ... =2022-2023
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:54 pm Weren't we linked with Tete at one point?
Didn't he also play for Lyon against us in EL, sparking a micro-controversy because they got him on their books from a Ukrainian (or Russian) club outside of the normal window?
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

Outside of Paqueta the one to have from the Lyon side we faced was the 19yo Malo Gusto, who Chelsea signed this year and subsequently loaned him back to Lyon for the rest of the season, what a waste of talent
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

HammerPDC wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:27 am Outside of Paqueta the one to have from the Lyon side we faced was the 19yo Malo Gusto, who Chelsea signed this year and subsequently loaned him back to Lyon for the rest of the season, what a waste of talent
Yeah - I did like him.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:54 am :thup:

I wouldn't write Sima off just yet - he's very young and was bought for his potential. Let's see where he is in a few years.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:46 am As some have asked about Jonathan Tah. He's a similar type of player to Zouma.

And I've got told that his camp are aware, that we intend to trigger his release-clause of 18m plus change, if we make it to Europe via the Final-win in Prague. Personal terms haven't been agreed.
So it is looking then like we may have 2 sets of targets, all depending on what happens tomorrow. No pressure.