Summer 2023/24 Transfer Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Re: Summer Rebuild 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by hammers92 »

Mount is very likely to go to Liverpool, forget it.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

The entire transfer budget should be spent on two fullbacks. None of our current options are really up to it long term.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

It’s not even just about the fullbacks long term. Whatever formation we play with, we are a bit lopsided.

If we play a back 4, is Emerson up to the job as a ‘left back’ in the long run? I’d be happy with him playing the odd game there, but not sure long term just yet. Whereas on the right we have Coufal and Johnson who are both fine defensively on their day.

Meanwhile, when we play a back 5, are Coufal and Johnson good enough to play the right ‘wing back’ option? If Emerson gets injured, who plays left ‘wing back’?

I no longer have faith in Cresswell being a fullback at Premier league level. Against lower league quality in the cups, yes. But no more than that. He could still do a job on the left of 3 central defenders though. So there’s another problem, if Emerson gets a long term injury, are we content with Cresswell being the replacement? I can’t say I am.

For me, we need a right back. Preferably one with pace that can play in a back 4 or 5. Coufal will be 31 from the start of next season and will probably get no more than 2 years on top of his expiring contract. Johnson hasn’t got too long on his contract himself.

Plus, I absolutely think we need a Left back. I am waiting for the rest of the season as it is to see if Emerson is the answer in terms of being a ‘left back’. So far so good in recent weeks! And no problems whatsoever in terms of playing ‘wingback’. But if he God forbid breaks down with an injury, we are f*cked. Unless the answer is already at the club in young Ollie Scarles, we need to go out and sign a young left back. Preferably one no older than 27-28 and again, must have pace. I did like the look of Scarles in Romania, but that was mostly as wingback and he is still only 17. It’s a risk.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Not seen a whole lot of him but in a couple of games recently Trai Hume of Sunderland has really caught my eye at right back. Excellent against Norwich and Sheffield United recently. Young (21) Northern Irishman.

Going to keep an eye on him a bit. Think we could do some real work in the Championship, as I previously said - him and Greaves could be our full backs for a number of years, for example.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

We need to sort out the right-hand side. All our ball players are left and our limited players right (Zouma, Coufal, Soucek, Bowen are a poor combination in terms of building up play). Makes us look unbalanced.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

We should not play a back 5 unless we bring in a manager who is notable for it such as Tuchel or Conte, and then have them buy their preferred wing backs.

We should recruit for a back 4. I am coming around more and more to the idea that Emerson is a perfectly good LB.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

I think it’s mainly just more swaps whatever league we’re in.

The new starters we need are -
Cresswell replaced by new LB
Coufal replaced by new RB
Rice replaced by a new ‘proper’ CDM and an allrounder CM to bench Soucek

Back ups replaced should be -
Ogbonna replaced by a new CB
Fabianski replaced by a new GK if he doesn’t want to be no.2

I’d consider selling Antonio if Ings and Scamacca stay. We could really do with someone that can bench Bowen, preferable quick and capable of playing CF would be a bonus. That would be two players for every position in a 433
Stulaw
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Stulaw »

funky chicken wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:16 am Hasn’t Cresswell already signed a new contract?
The club never officially announced it, the only thing I see on the internet is from the sites that make 10 paragraphs out of half a sentence on twitter.

According to Sportrac and Transfermarkt, his contract's up this summer still:

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/west-ham-un ... contracts/
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

I would advocate Cresswell staying for the team cheerleader role Noble did last season personally.
Liam
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Liam »

successive posts saying Mount is overrated followed by posts saying strike off the list as he's going to Liverpool!!!

Mount is an excellent footballer with a great footballing IQ, he'll do well wherever he goes.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Alan Nixon:WEST HAM boss David Moyes looks set to move for Coventry’s Viktor Gyokeres after making a personal check on the striker.

Moyes has watched the Swede intently as he knows he may need a new forward or two in the summer window — and even made a solo mission to see him last week.

Coventry would want around £20million to let go of Gyokeres in the summer.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/21836566 ... acca/amp/
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

If we stay up I reckon we should have £150 million to spend with the Rice money.

So I’d go (and this isn’t because of the England game is on):

- James Maddison - £45 million - Leicester
- Max Aarons - £10 million plus Ben Johnson - Norwich
- Seko Fofana - £25 million - Lens
- Sheraldo Becker - £20 million - Union Berlin
- Borna Sosa - £15 million - Stuttgart
- Flolarin Balogun - £25 million (or maybe if Rice goes there, part exchange?) - Arsenal

That should mean we line up as:

Areola

Aarons
Zouma
Aguerd
Sosa

Fofana
Paqueta

Bowen
Maddison
Becker

Scamacca/Balogun

If Sosa goes to Spurs then I’d have a sniff around Arsenal for Tierney.

That adds steel, craft, pace and dynamism that we’re missing.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

hammers92 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:37 pm I would advocate Cresswell staying for the team cheerleader role Noble did last season personally.
It totally depends on the league we are in.

Who knows if Emerson (fringe Italy squad etc) would be agitating at least for a loan if we go down? Would he be happy to play Championship?

Cresswell could probably play at Championship level, it is generally slower. In that case we definitely keep Cresswell with a younger LB but if we go down the selection of who the new LB would be would differ. Most unlikely to be a PL ready choice, more one we see as having potential to become a PL full back in 12-18 months. If Emerson stays you probably do not buy looking to save to buy better when hopefully you return the next summer.

Stay up then less likely you retain Cresswell, his offering in the team at PL level is now limited but equally any new guy probably has to be PL ready (albeit with room to develop further) in case of injury, suspension etc to Emerson even assuming you are happy with Emerson as first choice. If not then the new guy is likely to have to be of an even higher immediate standard.
Last edited by Gsbgsb on Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb »

Aarons has always looked good in the Championship and underwhelming when asked to step up to the PL. Suspect he and the old LB (Lewis?) were both highly overrated.
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

I think there’s more a bigger issue of continuity and having players who understand the club in the dressing room. We lost Noble last year, Ogbonna will presumably leave alongside Rice so I think we need someone like Cresswell to stick around. Especially if the manager is changing too.

I don’t really want him starting any Premier League games anymore but there’s certainly value in keeping him around and being the club captain if you like.
Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:16 pm I think there’s more a bigger issue of continuity and having players who understand the club in the dressing room. We lost Noble last year, Ogbonna will presumably leave alongside Rice so I think we need someone like Cresswell to stick around. Especially if the manager is changing too.

I don’t really want him starting any Premier League games anymore but there’s certainly value in keeping him around and being the club captain if you like.
That assumes any new manager will see Cresswell as his “voice” in the dressing room. It may well be that they see another.

Stay up and you likely still have most of Fab, Fornals, Bowen, Antonio, Soucek, Coufal, at the club. All around long enough to “get it” but better contributions on the pitch, even if only off the bench, than Cresswell.

I like Cresswell but I think this year has proved a stretch and next at PL level the year too far, he has to offer something if required albeit that might only be in an emergency.
blahblahblah
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by blahblahblah »

If you'll allow me to dream: Kretinsky brokers a deal where a mega-rich non-oil based company purchases Sullivan and Gold family shares because the LLDC agrees to move athletics out of the olympic stadium and sell to new owners. Funding secured to rebuild a purpose-built stadium. Rice signs a long term contract and one year extensions for Cresswell and Ogbonna. Oh, and bring in Bellingham, Osimhen, and Theo Hernandez.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Too much sherry tonight !
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Re: Cresswell, wasn’t it rumoured that he wouldn’t sign a new contract extension as such - but his existing one had a clause that kicks in automatically to give him another year if he has over a certain number of appearances? Given how often he’s played this season would be hard to imagine a clause like that not having kicked in already (or be very close to doing so).

Re: Fullbacks. I wouldn’t go the whole hog and spend our whole budget on top quality for both sides but I reckon really good ones would be more transformational for our side than any other position/upgrade.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

in the summer I would expect most of these to leave IF we are in the PL
lanzini free scamacca 25m vlasic 10m ogbonna free antonio 5m rice 100m

we will require as a minimum:
new LB can see cresswell staying one more season 25m
RB we have coufal johnson
CB x 2 we will be down to 2 decent ones . 50m
CM big dec hole to fill 50m
CF yet again we will need a striker. 40m

I hope mubama laing potts scarles anang are able to step up and be a big part of the first team squad as we need some local boys in the squad.

all depends on the manager as for what types of players he brings in but another big summer for transfers in and out. I just hope we have a proper player recruitment strategy and dont buy anymore square pegs !

new manager list
carrick
will still
pochettino
?

we will hopefully be in the EL next season so can offer an attractive package to new players 62500 crowds, London, new manager,new owner, new project, european football. whats not to like !