Summer 2023/24 Transfer Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Re: Summer Rebuild 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by funky chicken »

Well, now the January window is closed, it’s a lot clearer what positions we need to strengthen in the summer.

We have already worked on the goalkeepers for next season and potentially beyond. Randolph has left us and Anang has returned and taken up the 3rd choice spot. He’s homegrown also. Plus, we have brought the average age down for that position of the team. Fab I am sure will get an extension to his contract.

Dawson has left us, so that’s another ageing player out of the squad to bring the average age down.

Has, dare I ask it, Oggy done enough to earn another year to his contract? He’s certainly played as well as Aguerd has.

Longelo has left us. So this now perhaps moves Oliver Scarles further up the pecking order. He’s only 17 though, so still has age on his side. But I am sure we’ll target a left back anyway this summer.

Conor Coventry has signed an extension before he left for another loan spell, so it’s a win-win position for us to be in. He’ll either have a good loan, come back and have another crack at featuring for the first team. Or we can sell him for some dough, instead of losing him on a free.

Danny Ings has come in to potentially replace Antonio beyond this season. But even if Antonio does stay for another season, Ings is another great option to have in the squad.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:33 pm Enjoyed the podcast :thup:
:newthumb: Thank you!

Those two teach me something every time.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1163 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I think there has been a line of thinking that our issues have been largely caused by too much change in one summer window in 2022. As a result I can understand why some are keen to avoid another big summer.

I don’t entirely agree. Whilst I think the change last summer was not ideal (and it would have been less upheaval had we done something last January) I do think factors like the timing of the signings, the way the squad feels only half finished (squad stuck between old and new style) are bigger issues personally. This has been compounded by injuries and some players having the World Cup in the back of their minds.

I think we need to decide what we want to be…
- As Bubbs said - a lot depends what competition(s) we are in - PL, championship, Europa.
- Then there is the ownership thing. I suspect relegation means Sullivan stays, I hope staying up means he goes. New ownership may bring a whole new management team and club ethos. Unless we get super rich ownership the top six looks unlikely.
- Moyes….who knows. I wonder whether there will be a mutual parting of ways if he keeps us up - if we finish 13th or below (sure I read a rumoured clause about cheap compensation on his contract should we finish below a set league position).
- the squad. Do we continue the recruitment to move to this more progressive style? Do we revert to a British spine and sell the likes of Paqueta and Scamacca? Who and where do we spend the Declan money (does some of it get soaked up as a result of less TV money through league positions etc). Whatever we do we need pace.

I think that one of Paquetá and Scamacca will go if we stay up, probably not both. Both will go if we get relegated. I wouldn’t fight that hard to hold on to either based on showings so far - but hope that they change my mind in the second half of the season and I do believe they would both look a lot better surrounded by pace.

Almost certain to go - Rice, Lanzini
Probable to go - Antonio, Johnson, Coufal, Ogbonna
Possible to go - Soucek, Kehrer, Benrahma

I reckon Fab will get another contract extension and 100% expect Cresswell to still be at the club
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I would like to see us raid the Championship a bit more for top young talent. Pedro and Ndiaye in attacking midfield, Gyökeres up front, and Sander Berge in midfield. They would be very solid signings and all at a very good age.
Ironjoe
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by Ironjoe »

I don't think too much of a rebuild is required. Apart from the players out on loan (masuaku,vlasic) ideally I would only let lanzini and coufal go.

Goalkeeper areola number 1 and fabianski backup

Defence I think we need a right back/wing back and a center back, unless ogbonna wants to go or is let go and then 2 center backs

Midfield I'd leave as is unless rice goes and then he obviously gets replaced

One attacking midfielder needed as this gives some competition to benrahma and bowen and also frees up fornals to cover center mid and cornet to cover wing back if required

Strikers I would go with the 3 we have

Defence: cresswell, Emerson, aguerd, zouma, ogbonna(or replacement), new CB, kehrer, Johnson, new RB

Midfield: rice(or replacement), soucek, paqueta, downes, fornals

Attacking mid: cornet, bowen, benrahma, (new AM)

Forward: scamacca, ings, antonio

Any new player bought should be bought as a starter no buying backups. I believe only buying 3/4 players with the budget we will likely have allows this.

I would then look at phasing out antonio, cresswell and soucek to be replaced the following summer.
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

Don’t know how true this is knowing who posted this on Twitter, but…..

Today, the father of Manu Lanzini ('Machi' Lanzini), spoke with @radiolared:

"The whole family is from River, we want him to come back. I would be the happiest man in the world if Manu returns to River. He turned down several offers to stay until June at West Ham."

https://twitter.com/westham_central/sta ... _lkWGuKzQ
Devonhammer32
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Devonhammer32 »

I'm not sure where this belongs but I have been told this morning by someone who would know, that we are in advanced talks with 2 free agents - an attacking mid & a defender.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

a big summer on three counts; owners,manager players

owners - who knows what happens.hopefully the gsb stain will be removed from the club but who takes over ? kretinsky on his own ?

manager - I reckon moyes will go in the summer having secured our PL status and won his first cup;ECL. possible managers available potter after his chelsea team miss euro football, pochettino, tuchel or even bredan rodgers. whoever comes in I hope buys players for his system and that we try and become a possession based team. we play some awful turgid stauff at the moment.

players
GK areola as number one and fab gets another year as cup keeper, anang 3rd choice with heygi as 4th
RB coufal to go, so we will need a new RB
LB cresswell will get another year but we need a LB. Kyle walker peters from southampton would be ideal
CB oggy will go. leaving augerd and zouma . we will need two younger CBs
midefield vlasic will go,rice will go for 100m+, lanzini will leave the club on a free. two midfielders required
CF antonio will leave, scamacca will return to italy so we will need 2 new CF
wide players we need one new pacey wide man

outs ogbonna coufal vlasic 10m rice 100m lanzini antonio 5m scamacca 20m
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Devonhammer32 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:50 am I'm not sure where this belongs but I have been told this morning by someone who would know, that we are in advanced talks with 2 free agents - an attacking mid & a defender.
Ooh, guessing games!

Andre Ayew and Enock Kwateng.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Devonhammer32 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:50 am I'm not sure where this belongs but I have been told this morning by someone who would know, that we are in advanced talks with 2 free agents - an attacking mid & a defender.
Roger's coming home... :D
kenthammer
Has liked: 251 likes
Total likes: 403 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Is Fellaini available
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4742 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Wouldn't be that surprising. Not sure what the rules are regarding registering players?
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

Nikola Maksimovic
Isco
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

S-H wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:06 am Nikola Maksimovic
Isco
Tell you what, those are great shouts. Both long linked with us, I think Isco was supposedly wanted last summer.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

S-H wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:06 am Nikola Maksimovic
Isco
I'd happily take those two
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Although I suspect Isco may be looking for one final big payday, and with his agent being Mendes I reckon he's looking for megabucks. Moyes does like this type of gamble... see Nasri. And I do think we're susceptible to giving stupid wages....
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

Thing is though, Moyes' comments the other day about adding players to the squad, I don't think he'd want to sign anyone without premier league experience, so if we sign anyone it'll be Ayew and Mangala..

Realistically I don't think we'll bring anyone in to be honest.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4742 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:37 am Although I suspect Isco may be looking for one final big payday, and with his agent being Mendes I reckon he's looking for megabucks. Moyes does like this type of gamble... see Nasri. And I do think we're susceptible to giving stupid wages....
Pellegrini signed Nasri
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:37 am Although I suspect Isco may be looking for one final big payday, and with his agent being Mendes I reckon he's looking for megabucks. Moyes does like this type of gamble... see Nasri. And I do think we're susceptible to giving stupid wages....
Was it not Pellegrini who brought Nasri to the club?

He did bring in Evra though during his 1st spell.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Was it Pellegrini? Fair enough - my mistake