Summer 2023/24 Transfer Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Re: Summer Rebuild 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by Billydinho »

Gsbgsb wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:14 pm Aarons has always looked good in the Championship and underwhelming when asked to step up to the PL. Suspect he and the old LB (Lewis?) were both highly overrated.
He’s worth a go on a part exchange with Johnson. It’s hard to measure how good he is in the Premiership based on his performances with Norwich, they tend to be hopeless when they come up.
Billydinho

Post by Billydinho »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:07 am
new manager list
carrick
will still
pochettino
Will Still - based on what?
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

will still - based on current record, saying he is a hammer and wants to manage us one day.
carrick probaby as above
poch - spurs looking unlikely to get the band back together

anyone else out there ?

I would like us to have an attacking style coach next time. we have it all set to be successful but find ways to mess it up. be nice to have a west ham team who have a go at opponents , not stupidly but with a definite attacking style rather than current moyesball snooze fest stuff
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I still don't think it's an overhaul/rebuild we're looking at this summer*, and just a case of entrusting the players we have signed last summer.

A young LB/CB who acts as reserve for Emerson and replaces Ogbonna.
Someone for the right wing to push Bowen for a starting role.
Probably a central midfielder if we're settling into a central midfield 3.

There will be out of contract players to consider, but Coufal is the only one with significant that wouldn't be replaced based on the above and with Kehrer and Johnson as options we'd have players at right back if he did go, plus I think we have a two year club option we could take up if needed. I'd hope we can get Fabianski for another season for cup football, if not we might want to get an experienced reserve keeper in.

It'll be if we start selling other players beyond our out of contract ones that we need to start making significant moves in the transfer market.
The Straw
Has liked: 581 likes
Total likes: 1409 likes

Post by The Straw »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:37 am anyone else out there ?
Literally dozens. But our lot don't have the imagination. One hundred percent they'd never heard of Roberto De Zerbi.
Billydinho

Post by Billydinho »

Manager wise we should look at the Frankfurt fella and see if he can bring Kamada with him.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

YorksHammer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:22 amA young LB/CB who acts as reserve for Emerson and replaces Ogbonna.
One astute signing for us could be Benrahma’s Algeria team mate, Ramy Bensebaini.

I believe he’s out of contract this summer at Borussia Mönchengladbach and can play centre half and left back. Slightly more left back. But could be good competition for Emerson and cover for Aguerd and Oggy, should either get injured.

DusseldorfHammer may be able to shed some light, as he’s more up to speed with Bundesliga players than I am.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

funky chicken wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:46 am One astute signing for us could be Benrahma’s Algeria team mate, Ramy Bensebaini.

I believe he’s out of contract this summer at Borussia Mönchengladbach and can play centre half and left back. Slightly more left back. But could be good competition for Emerson and cover for Aguerd and Oggy, should either get injured.

DusseldorfHammer may be able to shed some light, as he’s more up to speed with Bundesliga players than I am.
Wasn't there some chatter - on here, and possibly from Dusseldorf themselves - that we'd already agreed to sign a left back this summer who was out of contract? Could be a good shout.
Benaloon
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 417 likes

Post by Benaloon »

I'd like us to go for Emile Smith-Rowe to fill the much needed creative no 10 spot. I reckon he might be gettable (especially if Rice is going the other way) as they're well sorted in that position with Odegaard and he doesn't yet have the kind of profile that would attract the top clubs.

Of course he is an arsenal boy so might not fancy it, but I do rate him.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

A shake of the hand and a thank you to Moyes after this season.

Will Still comes in with Reims having narrowly missed out on Europe.

GK: Areola, Fabianski, (Trott)

LB: Emerson, Zemura (Free Transfer), (Cresswell: Cheerleader)
CB: Aguerd, Zouma, Formose Mendy (£7m), Kehrer
RB: Coufal, Johnson

CM: Downes, Paqueta, Soucek, Ward-Prowse (£35m), Dion Lopy (£15m)

RW: Bowen, Cvancara (£15m)
CAM: Fornals, Zian Flemming (would just be funny to take Millwall's best player.)
LW: Cornet, Benrahma

FW: Scamacca, Ings, Balogun (Part of the Rice deal.)

Areola
Coufal Zouma Aguerd Emerson
Paqueta Lopy Ward-Prowse
Bowen Balogun Benrahma
NWhammer
Has liked: 794 likes
Total likes: 1518 likes

Post by NWhammer »

The focus this summer needs to be on the midfield. It’s dysfunctional mess with players who simply don’t compliment each other .

Rice will leave and I think we need to make big decisions on Soucek and Fornals. Soucek has fallen off a cliff and Fornals has been here 5 years and I don’t know what his position is.
Believer
Has liked: 1421 likes
Total likes: 759 likes

Post by Believer »

NWhammer wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:39 am The focus this summer needs to be on the midfield. It’s dysfunctional mess with players who simply don’t compliment each other .

Rice will leave and I think we need to make big decisions on Soucek and Fornals. Soucek has fallen off a cliff and Fornals has been here 5 years and I don’t know what his position is.
My good chap, wash your mouth out ! 😀

How very dare you suggest we get rid of Fornals.

I agree he has stagnated somewhat this season however, that is down to Moyes. Fornals if played central would be fantastic alongside similar mindset players however, time and again he gets shunted out left which is a waste of his talent.

I’d have Fornals central with Rice and Paqueta and we would see a much quicker, free flowing midfield. However, unfortunately for Pablo he doesn’t win enough headers in midfield so he is out the frame in there as far as the manager is concerned.
Joffrey
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Joffrey »

For season 23/24 there are going to be some big changes, likely at management, coaching staff and key players in the team. My focus would be on bringing in proven premier league quality where possible.

Outs
Declan Rice - £80m (this is going to be hard enough Dec, please go abroad)
Vlasic - £8m
Antonio - £3.5m
Soucek - £8.5m
Cresswell - Free

This gives us a transfer kitty of £100m with the owners putting in £40m of the clubs money. Total £140m

No changes in the goalkeeping department.

At full back I would look to bring in Tierney at £25m (hopefully he wants to stay in London) and Kyle Walker-Peters at £15m. I would extend Ogbonna for a year and give Ben Johnson a new deal. We’d still need a 4th choice centre back. Somebody of the Chris Mepham ilk at around 7m.

Midfielders - Balls out bid for Palhinha at Fulham - £40m, double what they paid for him last year. Another option would be to go back in for Onana at a similar fee if Everton go down. I really like Billy Gilmour who could be around £8m, I think there’s a real player there. Ruben Loftus-Cheek would be a good upgrade on Soucek for around £12m.

Attackers - I’d be looking for another winger with Bowen and Cornet 3rd and 4th striker options that may need to be utilised during the season. The £33m left doesn’t actually get you very much these days! If Leicester or Palace go down I’d be in for Harvey Barnes or Eze. Could Smith Rowe be available? Might need to look further afield for this player though and hope for better luck than most of our previous big money attacking foreign signing.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Is there a thread for transfers if we are Championship bound? Are Newman et al (if there is anyone else besides him involved in anything) preparing a contingency list for this possibility? Would we need to start from scratch after compiling lists made up of Italian and Brazilian internationals?
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 300 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

Wouldn't be opposed to sending Flynn Downes down to the Championship for a season. Give him some regular gametime
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by k-r-c »

If Sullivan is still at the helm next season i think we forget any high calibre manager.

I think until we know what league we are in everything is up in the air.

I guess we are all hoping we scrape by and stay up, which then means a takeover follows, with a new high calibre manager installed with a long term plan.

But deciding what kind of rebuild we need is a difficult task till this season is over.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Joffrey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:14 pm For season 23/24 there are going to be some big changes, likely at management, coaching staff and key players in the team. My focus would be on bringing in proven premier league quality where possible.

Outs
Declan Rice - £80m (this is going to be hard enough Dec, please go abroad)
Vlasic - £8m
Antonio - £3.5m
Soucek - £8.5m
Cresswell - Free

This gives us a transfer kitty of £100m with the owners putting in £40m of the clubs money. Total £140m

What is the point in selling Soucek for less than half of what we paid for him? We may as well keep him if we'd only get such a paltry fee.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3015 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:29 pm Wouldn't be opposed to sending Flynn Downes down to the Championship for a season. Give him some regular gametime
He has already proved himself in the Championship.
If we don't want him should just let the lad go and play premier league football for someone else.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 970 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:29 pm Wouldn't be opposed to sending Flynn Downes down to the Championship for a season. Give him some regular gametime
We’ll be there ourselves next season so he’ll get plenty of game time.
cadiz_hammer
Has liked: 1170 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by cadiz_hammer »

Joffrey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:14 pm For season 23/24 there are going to be some big changes, likely at management, coaching staff and key players in the team. My focus would be on bringing in proven premier league quality where possible.

Outs
Vlasic - £8m
If we have a new manager next season why wouldn't he have a proper look at Vlasic playing in his proper position? Can't see the point in bombing him out for less that 25% of what we paid for him based on one season playing out of position under the previous manager...