⚽ FAC4: Derby County 0-2 West Ham Utd (30/1/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DublinDave
Has liked: 2722 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Re: ⚽ Derby County v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by DublinDave »

Shabu wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:30 am So was Fornals crap or player of the match?
Both.
Crap in the first half, great in the 2nd...
Aguerd would be my motm though...
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

davids cross wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:34 am Moyes has forgotten more than I'll ever know....but..

If Johnson and Kehrer are in this formation again....they have to switch roles.

Johnson is way better as a right sided CB... and Kehrer is better going forward.

Neither would be first choices naturally...poor Ben had a terrible first half.. .....just thought they could have swapped and been more comfortable.
I'd go with Johnson at RCB but out of all of them I'd play Coufal as a RWB if persisted with 3 at the back.
Fraser
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by Fraser »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:38 am Because of the nature of the positions they both play in the centre of midfield. You make it sound like we were carrying Soucek last season being so poor.
I think the opposition had sussed to press him and the rest of our team, and I think his form has been poor because of it since the start of last season.

He stopped scoring goals and gave the ball away a lot

You obviously don't agree which is fair enough, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.. Or we will just go round in circles.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

He scored 6 times last season. That's a good return for a Defensive Midfielder.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

if only we had another fit CB !
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Has anyone mentioned we scored from a cross!!?
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

DublinDave wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:40 am Both.
Crap in the first half, great in the 2nd...
Aguerd would be my motm though...
Aguerd was superb, never needed to get out of second gear all night. You wonder what a difference he’d have made if he’d played all season, we just need Paqueta and Scamacca at that level now.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

I think this was an important game for us. The shoots of recovery have grown a little greener and the performances by many players will help grow the confidence that was started against Everton.
HertsHammer89
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by HertsHammer89 »

Actually enjoyed last night. First time watching West Ham for a long time that you felt like we had it in the bag other than a couple of the conference league games.

Confidence was evident to see on show and the movement from the front players reminded me of the past couple of seasons.

Special mentions for Downes, Soucek and Emerson. The obvious choices deserve the praise but was impressed with these three.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Whilst a win is welcome it was against a poor side.

Any green shoots I fear will be smashed on Saturday snd the next few games
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

IronZ-79 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:09 am Has anyone mentioned we scored from a cross!!?
As we did against Everton, funnily enough both were deflected into the strikers path
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:20 am Whilst a win is welcome it was against a poor side.

Any green shoots I fear will be smashed on Saturday snd the next few games
Oh Jesus wept, rein it in you miserable git.

We avoided a potential slip up in the cup, are through the the fifth round, one of only 16 clubs left in. A tricky away tie against Man United awaits but it's one where we have a decent history in. Navigate that and the only side left in we should fear is Man City if they get past Bristol City.

Put a smile on your face and go outside and touch some grass or something.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

IronZ-79 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:09 am Has anyone mentioned we scored from a cross!!?
Didn't Bowen say in his interview that they've "been working on scoring tap-ins"??

Don't think I've ever heard that before!
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Ozza wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:19 am Because you need Aguard fit to play 3 cbs with WBs and therefore Emerson
Or you know, try him in back 4, or even not as a LB and instead as a LW. Its not like he's shown anyone he can't play LB in his whole 1 game there.

If we were judging on 1 game for West Ham, Tevez, Reid, Antonio etc etc would never have got more than a few games.
Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Ilford Paolo »

Shabu wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:30 am So was Fornals crap or player of the match?
He was poor when he could have taken a shot around 35m and followed up with a poor corner. When played in his correct central position later in the game he was much more effective,hardly surprising. :chin:
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

And for once the cross was a low, hard, cross from inside the box. What we've been desperately needing, rather than outside the box floaters to Scamacca surrounded by 3 opponents. It happens more when you play it through the central 3rd more.

Good stuff :newthumb:
Colours never run

As good as last nights clean sheet sounds, I would caveat it was achieved with 7 defensive players plus a Keeper against League One opposition. The real litmus test for me is how we get on against the next 3 League fixtures to get the balance right between defence and attack. Some signs are encouraging but I also still see frailties once we come up against upcoming opposition.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Absolute kudos to anyone who went last night.
Great turn out considering the economic climate, it being a work day and it being on ITV.

You were fantastic from start to finish and made me proud to be a Hammer. Looked and sounded like a great night out.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:43 am As good as last nights clean sheet sounds, I would caveat it was achieved with 7 defensive players plus a Keeper against League One opposition. The real litmus test for me is how we get on against the next 3 League fixtures to get the balance right between defence and attack. Some signs are encouraging but I also still see frailties once we come up against upcoming opposition.
The seven defensive players thing is nonsense and just a way to have a dig at Moyes. Emerson's heat map average would probably be left wing and Soucek got forward a lot.

It was much more of a 343 than a 5212.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

sutts07 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:49 am Absolute kudos to anyone who went last night.
Great turn out considering the economic climate, it being a work day and it being on ITV.

You were fantastic from start to finish and made me proud to be a Hammer. Looked and sounded like a great night out.
I second this.

Came across loud and clear for 90mins.

Cracking support, a credit to the club.