⚽ FAC4: Derby County 0-2 West Ham Utd (30/1/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Re: ⚽ Derby County v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Generally decent OV, as you’d expect from proper support.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

On reflection with so much riding on their promotion after all their recent turmoil, this game was more of a distraction than they could really afford to derail their season. That's the only thing I could put it down too, as they just didn't seem all that fussed, from the fans, staff and players. And if so, I can appreciate that and why they didn't put up much of a fight.
Last edited by Colours never run on Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:21 am "The tall slim white guy..."
Downes, surely.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

I completely get persisting with the formation if that's what we're going to play against Newcastle.

Why change the formation? We should get used to it in matchday situations.
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1511 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

Ilford Paolo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:31 am Hi Igor,I was sat next to you on the coach!
I have sent you a DM! 👍
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

It's not as though Derby weren't trying, but they are in the third division and we're lining up with an £150m team even without all the ones that were missing/benched.

The early goal in each half did for them, depriving them of any kind of impetus.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Well done all for avoiding the big banana skin that was laid out in front of us last night.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:08 pmIt's not as though Derby weren't trying, but they are in the third division and we're lining up with an £150m team even without all the ones that were missing/benched.
Their fans dropping in here are going to love this, but the atmosphere at Pride Park last night wasn't a patch on the noise their mates at Forest made earlier in the season.

The only one piping up was the fella with the drum - and even he got fed up with about half-an-hour to go.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:51 pm Their fans dropping in here are going to love this, but the atmosphere at Pride Park last night wasn't a patch on the noise their mates at Forest made earlier in the season.

The only one piping up was the fella with the drum - and even he got fed up with about half-an-hour to go.
I have to say Derby’s support has been far better than Forest’s for the last few seasons, especially given the problems they’ve been through and that they’ve been in a lower division. Up until midway through last season games at the City Ground weren’t sellouts.
As I’ve mentioned, I’ve got a shop in Melton Mowbray, there are plenty of Forest shirts and other accessories on display now and have been for the last 12 months or so, prior to that, I rarely saw any Forest fans, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester United and a fair amount of West Ham. Forest’s popularity in the town is a remnant from Clough’s time and I’ve always found it strange that anyone from Leicestershire could support a team from Nottingham, there’s no love lost between either of them.
I had a stall on the Melton Christmas market and the wife was on there for 2 days, I didn’t have a lot of football scarves, other types but some Leicester and West Ham. The wife said that if I have a pitch on there again next year I should get NFFC scarves as she’d been asked for them quite a few times, I said that in 6 months time when hopefully they’ve been relegated, you won’t see them again for a few years.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Mubama given the revered Tevez no. 72 shirt.

Should inspire him.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

72? Don't tell me we managed to bring in his older twin brother as well as him and Mascherano too! If Kevin McCabe calls, tell him we're not in... :eyes: 📝
DerbyRam
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by DerbyRam »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:51 pm Their fans dropping in here are going to love this, but the atmosphere at Pride Park last night wasn't a patch on the noise their mates at Forest made earlier in the season.

You are quite right. The atmosphere wasn’t the best, neither was the attendance which was a shame. We typically get 25-28k at home, even when the away support is poor from clubs like Accrington Stanley who brought less than 500 (who are they?) bring in Bolton and 4k away fans and you have 30k like the other week, and the atmosphere was brilliant.

I hate to say it, but many did not find you guys a huge draw (please understand I don’t necessarily agree with that) citing a struggling possibly uninspiring PL side, the Monday Night and TV did little to help. This is also on top the obvious point that having paid for a season ticket (we have 20k plus season ticket holders), the extra expense doesn’t really appeal to all when belts are bing tightened.

Forest Fans (gumps as we call them as a play on words 😂😂😂) are notoriously fickle. On their last foray into league 1 (for five seasons) their attendances dropped to as little as 17k for a league game. And when they were middling in the championship there were plenty of empty pinks seats to be seen. There is always a bigger differential of support for them when things are going well or going badly. Of course I am completely biased!

It’s a funny relationship we have with them. Many of the towns and villages between the two cities have a mix of fans (my best friend at school was a Forest Fan) and we almost scramble to obtain the perceived affection of the great man who was Brian Howard Clough. The road between Derby and Nottingham is even named after him!

The problem is that when all said and done the two places are both so alike. Nottingham is bigger, but socially, economically and in many other ways we are similar.

So visit the City Ground in a couple of seasons in a cup match when they are back in League 1 and have a similar if not slightly worse experience :crossed:
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

I'd have thought Forest's true rival would be Notts County. Any love lost between Derby and them?
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

DR...I'm drifting off topic but who was that Italian right winger you had in the late 90s ? Sometimes played at right back. Very pacey and had a great engine. Superb player he was. I think he played for AC Milan.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:13 pm DR...I'm drifting off topic but who was that Italian right winger you had in the late 90s ? Sometimes played at right back. Very pacey and had a great engine. Superb player he was. I think he played for AC Milan.
Stefano Eranio?
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Yes mate. That's him. Well done.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

DerbyRam wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:01 pmYou are quite right. The atmosphere wasn’t the best, neither was the attendance which was a shame. We typically get 25-28k at home, even when the away support is poor from clubs like Accrington Stanley who brought less than 500 (who are they?) bring in Bolton and 4k away fans and you have 30k like the other week, and the atmosphere was brilliant.
You had 26k there last night (albeit only 21k DCFC) which should've been plenty to make a racket.

Just surprised how lacklustre everything was, both on and off the pitch. Thought we'd be in for a tight game (again, both on and off the pitch).

But as you say, Derby have more important fish to fry this season.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

I think Moyes’ team selection and tactics was astute last night, and helped to quell the Derby fans. It was a team picked to be well equipped to nullify anything thrown at us, and our players did it very well.

Flair and skilful players were on the bench, Lanzini, Paquetà and Benrahma. This was a team who would soak it all up and most likely get a goal on the break. In fairness to the Derby fans, they had very little to cheer. The spirit was progressively strangled out of them.

The Oppo View was a fair one, there’s no delusions of grandeur and they’re a decent bunch of supporters, who have been through a very tough time with owners mis-managing and taking them to the brink.

I have a mate who is a Derby fan, and he says he’s just relieved to have his football club back again. Everything’s relative.
DerbyRam
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by DerbyRam »

Ethanadict wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:01 pm I think Moyes’ team selection and tactics was astute last night, and helped to quell the Derby fans. It was a team picked to be well equipped to nullify anything thrown at us, and our players did it very well.

Flair and skilful players were on the bench, Lanzini, Paquetà and Benrahma. This was a team who would soak it all up and most likely get a goal on the break. In fairness to the Derby fans, they had very little to cheer. The spirit was progressively strangled out of them.

The Oppo View was a fair one, there’s no delusions of grandeur and they’re a decent bunch of supporters, who have been through a very tough time with owners mis-managing and taking them to the brink.

I have a mate who is a Derby fan, and he says he’s just relieved to have his football club back again. Everything’s relative.
Bang on. Agree with all of that, we had little to cheer, the hard-work that usually bears fruit for us in our leaugue games was simply not enough against the guile and great defending shown by your players and all said and done we knew it early doors. We also knew this game would be tough without both Cashin and McGoldrick, and it put us on the back foot even before the whistle was blown. Collins is not a bad player in league 1 terms but we have a choice of two, Davies is a brilliant human being as well as great footballer in his time, but Cashin has eclipsed him, again a choice of two… we are where we - are paper thin and in my mind performing miracles week in week out in league 1 land.

We could have played an 11-0-0 formation and oohed and Ahhed at some stoic defending, and the odd break on goal as you pressed. But as in our mangers style he just told them to go out and play how we normally do in the league, it’s just it could have never had the same effect, you just we quicker, made less mistakes and were more technically able.

I love to see Derby, but I also enjoy watching good football, that’s why I enjoyed the game. just don’t expect me to cheer (I did clap your defender for a great piece of play out from the back and the goal on front of me in the second half)

Exactly This time last year 10,000 fans marched to the game against Birmingham city to save the club, we were millimetres away from oblivion. We are relieved to still have our club. In my opening post on this forum, I mentioned us having 5 senior players with two weeks to go to the start of the season, it was that bad. We are on the whole, as one of my fellow fans said, just grateful to still have a club…

Talking about our manager I heard him on Radio 2 this morning at work on the 8:30 news, it was hilarious what he said about magic dust (or the lack there of) :crylol:
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Good luck to you DR.

10,000 on a march to save your club is a better reflection of character than any trophy 👍