⚽ FAC4: Derby County 0-2 West Ham Utd (30/1/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Re: ⚽ Derby County v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by sutts07 »

MB wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:49 am Emerson's heat map average would probably be left wing and Soucek got forward a lot.
Correct. You will only see the 'seven defenders' comments from people who are very Moyes.

Emerson's heat map shows that he spent the majority of the match in the opposition half.
Johnson spent most of the match in the 'middle third' too as did Soucek and Downes.

We played with 3 defenders last night. It was very much a 3421 formation.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

MB wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:49 am The seven defensive players thing is nonsense and just a way to have a dig at Moyes. Emerson's heat map average would probably be left wing and Soucek got forward a lot.

It was much more of a 343 than a 5212.
I just think it's overkill at the expense of another attacker I'd prefer to see, regardless of our manager at the time. If it was away at Old Trafford say in the next round, I will have no issue with it. I think it's overly cautious for Derby though.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

A solid, professional performance, hopefully gives the team a bit of confidence going into a tough run of fixtures.

Aguerd is going to be some player for us and will be vital in the run in.

Soucek and Downes were excellent and dictated the game, Fornals much better second half but if he was MOTM then Mcoist really was as drunk as he sounds at times.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

A good professional job last night albeit against a third division side whose Manager made clear before KO had a bigger game coming up this weekend in the league, hence his en bloc subs.

Having said that you can only beat what's in front of you and we did that with ease in front of a crowd of around 25,000.Fair play to the Derby County fans who made the effort to come and watch the famous West Ham on a bitterly chilly night. Our section, whilst fully sold out did have a few empty seats which was a shame but Monday being a school night a few nippers undoubtedly dropped out. As if they are going to pass that Maths exam.

The stand out player was clearly Agured, a player capable of breaking a couple of lines of defence with his crisp on the deck passing. However, far too many of our passes last night were in the air, with our usual problem of insufficient movement being a contributory factor.

Highlight of the evening for me was the introduction of Divin Mubama who showed sheer enthusiasm for the 12 minutes he was on the pitch. You could tell he was desperately trying to make an impression.

Raw, a bit gangly, but so what. I'd start him Saturday, but tell him he's only getting the first 45 minutes.

Lets see what Botman is made of.
Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Ilford Paolo »

Emmerson was so good at finding unmarked space on the left and making good use of the passes to him to drive forward.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1162 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

I try to leave my match posts until next day so here goes:

Firstly, not sure if ‘Gonzo’ (on that other site) has the same terrestrial tv feed as me, but Fournals rated our equal worse player surprised me, and Ally McCoist.

It took everybody 5 minutes to settle, particularly our defence, as it started like a traditional cup tie. Then our first positive moment settled everything and we never looked back. Appreciate League one, but we’ve been there before. Good first goal with many involved. Defence became very solid and it was no surprise we scored second. Nice to see fast break and options in the box to receive it.

In short: a win. Three wins in last four. Clean sheet. No injuries. Downes continues to shine. Aguerd is gold. Appropriate formation. Fournals showed his best second half. Professional. Job done.

Well done players, coaches but most of all…our travelling fans. The wife had to turn the tv volume down during ‘x men couldn’t carry’.

I fear nobody. Bring them on. Just the sort of game that will settle the key debate. I’ve started researching transmission dates and times for SF.

COYI

Ps. How many versus does BFF have?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Derby County
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=137746
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

"The tall slim white guy..."

Good grief.

Otherwise fair comments from the Rams lads.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

sutts07 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:54 am Correct. You will only see the 'seven defenders' comments from people who are very Moyes.

Emerson's heat map shows that he spent the majority of the match in the opposition half.
Johnson spent most of the match in the 'middle third' too as did Soucek and Downes.

We played with 3 defenders last night. It was very much a 3421 formation.
Playing defensive players in attacking areas doesn't make them attacking players ‐ it makes them defensive players playing in attacking areas

It worked fine against Derby but it is a very defensive and conservative mindset

Unfortunately it looks as though the 5 at the back/ 3 at the back formation is here to stay in the short term

Hopefully Paquetta, Rice, Coufal and Benny back in on Saturday to add a bit of balance to ìt
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Ozza wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:19 am Because you need Aguard fit to play 3 cbs with WBs and therefore Emerson
Absolutely.

I think Moyes plan all along was to play 3 cbs with wing backs, unfortunately that was scuppered with the Aguerd injury. Emerson isn’t a left back, so we were stuck with Cresswell.

Playing 3 cbs also means he can get the players into midfield he wants. We are much better balanced all round.
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:43 am As good as last nights clean sheet sounds, I would caveat it was achieved with 7 defensive players plus a Keeper against League One opposition.
Most teams play a keeper these days, though.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

ballantine wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:55 am Most teams play a keeper these days, though.
Nah it's just boring moyesball :crylol:

Going by this thread last night the levels of entitled expectations here now would be difficult for anyone to match. Been saying since the BFS days this is becoming an impossible job.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:17 am The opposition view: Derby County…
"West Ham fans (like Everton) seem to be miserable 90% of the time and they have a squad with a wage bill of £134m per annum. Always on at the board for not spending enough, on at the players for not trying enough, constantly at odds with each other. Quite honestly a miserable existence. If that's the ambition, give me League One football with a competitive squad every day of the week."

This post, from someone ironically called ‘Ambition’ caught my eye. It’s that existential question - do you want success or not given the price?

Anyway, Ambition clearly hasn’t been following us very closely. I’m struggling to find 10% happiness.
gaptooth
Location: For the team - in a happy place. Board - in a dark place, with my head in my hands
Has liked: 145 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by gaptooth »

ballantine wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:55 am Most teams play a keeper these days, though.
New fangled, modern football. Pffft! :crylol:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I do expect us to be playing more attacking football against League One opposition, don't see what's so controversial about that.
asters89
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by asters89 »

Getting an early goal last night was key.

To be fair it came from a passage of real quality which was nice to see. But we know how these type of games against lower league opposition go where we fail to break them down and just get more and more frustrated.

Not sure I really get the 7 behind the ball comments. Emerson spent most of the game roaming down the left wing at will, Johnson less so but it seems to be less suited to his still set. Downes is probably a better partner for Soucek that Rice is in many ways. Downes is happier to sit and let Soucek do his best work box to box, compared to Rice in more recent times where we seem to be having a bit of an issue defining roles.

That said, we played a league 1 team and I wouldn't feel that confident with a Downes Soucek partnership starting against Newcastle.

Aguerd looked good again. I wouldn't be surprised if Moyes reverted to the 2020 3 at the back for the rest of the season given our league struggles. It won't be the most exciting stuff but I reckon we'll get enough points to stay up. If we can get past Man Utd or go deep into the conference league we might be less gloomy come the end of the season.

:scarfer:
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 664 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:17 am The opposition view: Derby County
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=137746
Gotta say the Derby fans seem like an alright bunch
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

When you have seen as many embarrassing cup exits as West Ham fans have it is nice to see a professional performance where we never looked in any trouble.

It's only a few months since we took the lead in a cup tie against a lower league side and couldn't see the game out because of appalling defending.

Not letting in stupid goals will turn this season around more than anything else in my opinion.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:21 am"The tall slim white guy..."
To be fair, if he'd written "the African lad" it would've been less obvious to whom he was referring...
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Hockley Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:30 am When you have seen as many embarrassing cup exits as West Ham fans have it is nice to see a professional performance where we never looked in any trouble.

It's only a few months since we took the lead in a cup tie against a lower league side and couldn't see the game out because of appalling defending.

Not letting in stupid goals will turn this season around more than anything else in my opinion.
That said, Derby were almost in within a minute. :shocker:

Job done, Derby surprised me a tad, I thought they would offer more. What was it ? One shot on target ? I can't remember the last time Antonio saw that much of the ball and Soucek had a decent enough game. Bowen's got 3 in 2 now so he's building up his confidence again.