⚽ FAC4: Derby County 0-2 West Ham Utd (30/1/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Re: ⚽ Derby County v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by davids cross »

The left footed swarthy slim guy .... :winker:

He was my MOTM...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:33 am To be fair, if he'd written "the African lad" it would've been less obvious to whom he was referring...
Perhaps, but he might have outed himself as David Sullivan
@dave_boy
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by @dave_boy »

In the cramped away concourse last night, I noticed a few young fellas taking cocaine with those tiny spoon things. Not in the bogs, or furtively, but quite openly chatting, having a beer & snorting coke as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

I’m of a different generation, but is this as ubiquitous as it seems nowadays?

Great night. My drug of choice was a large cod & chips walking to the ground!
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

"West Ham fans (like Everton) seem to be miserable 90% of the time and they have a squad with a wage bill of £134m per annum. Always on at the board for not spending enough, on at the players for not trying enough, constantly at odds with each other. Quite honestly a miserable existence. If that's the ambition, give me League One football with a competitive squad every day of the week."
- Ambitious
:smiler:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Doc H Ball wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:06 am Anyway, Ambition clearly hasn’t been following us very closely. I’m struggling to find 10% happiness.
Yes, 10% happiness seems to be er, very, em Ambitious
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

@dave_boy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:49 am My drug of choice was a large cod & chips walking to the ground!
Impressed if you got that up your nose...
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

@dave_boy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:49 amIn the cramped away concourse last night, I noticed a few young fellas taking cocaine with those tiny spoon things. Not in the bogs, or furtively, but quite openly chatting, having a beer & snorting coke as if it was the most normal thing in the world.
In Frankfurt, on the train to the Waldstadion before the game there were a group of lads in the seats opposite me doing the same. The German Police stood six feet away.

Brazen as you like.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Albie Beck wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:57 am Impressed if you got that up your nose...
He'd still be there now shovelling it up his hooter if he borrowed one of their "spoons" too..
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I wonder if a soup spoon would work.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

It was a professional job, no more than that. You can only beat what's in front of you. It's fair to say some of our players had good games including Soucek, Downes, Emerson. I'm trying not to draw any conclusions though... It's easy for Antonio to look more like his old self when he's up against League One defenders. Easy to say Soucek looked great because he was freed up by Downes. Just as likely though that he looked great due to the opposition being inferior - in the same way as we sometimes jump to conclusions when players look good in a pre season friendly or against clearly inferior European opposition. The test is against decent Premier League opposition. I'm just trying not to raise my expectations too high as it's quite possible that we're all going to come crashing back to earth when we play Newcastle. That's the type of match where we we can really judge whether we're looking better or not. That's not to say I'm dismissing these last two matches. It' boosts confidence and builds momentum which is important.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

More importantly, I'd like to know why Alphonse Areola took his socks off in the second half.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Georgee Paris wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:02 pm I wonder if a soup spoon would work.
Only if you've got the nose of Mark Noble.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:08 pm More importantly, I'd like to know why Alphonse Areola took his socks off in the second half.
Huge Rolling Stones fan by all acoounts

I only get my socks off when I'm keeping*

* A play on words from the Rolling Stones rather excellent song Rocks off, Exile on Main Street, with apologies to Messers Jagger and Richards
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Areola hardly had a save to make, though he gives me the heeby-jeebies with his catching. There's something unusual about his technique.

Soucek was like Carrick in the first half.

Anyone else starting to wonder whether the one year contract extension should have gone to Ange rather than Cresswell?

His presence at CB in the centre of a three is getting a bit like Thiago Silva's at Chelsea.
westhamlinnet
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by westhamlinnet »

A professional performance. Derby were poorer than I thought they would be.Tremendous away following. I rarely attend away matches due to difficulties getting a ticket. I have forgot how good it is to be nearer the pitch. We must never forgive Gold, Sullivan and Brady putting us into a totally unfit football stadium.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

westhamlinnet wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:22 pm Derby were poorer than I thought they would be.
Me too. They didn't even put up a fight. As damp squibs go, that one was particularly moist.

Their best two chances on the night were the ones they tried to punch into the net...
scottyboy71
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by scottyboy71 »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:22 am Gotta say the Derby fans seem like an alright bunch
The stewards were some of the friendliest I've ever encountered as well.
Colours never run

It didn't even seem like their own fans at Home in the Cup could be all that bothered. Surprised a bit by Derby. :eh:

I get they're concentrating on League promotion but as they're on such a great run, I would have thought they'd be more upbeat about a free hut against Prem opposition and 1 that travels well in numbers.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I was really disappointed with Derby last night. I thought they’d start the game all guns blazing. But, with better decision making in the final third we could’ve easily had another 2 goals before we even scored our first, and I don’t think being 3-0 up after just 10 minutes on the board would have flattered us one bit.

At times the game felt like a pre-season friendly. It was like their manager told them: “go out there lads, enjoy yourself, but don’t overcommit. You have a much bigger game at the weekend.” Perhaps he did, who knows.

At this stage of the season, knowing what tough games we have coming up, they were the dream opponents for us in the end.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:09 am I do expect us to be playing more attacking football against League One opposition, don't see what's so controversial about that.
Derby were at home and undefeated in, what, 18 games, so I'm personally not sure what 'more attacking' football would risk or achieve. A loss perhaps? I didn't see our set up or play as ultra defensive, indeed a lot of our play was a delight to watch. Our away support seemed very happy with our play and result and Moyes is being critisised and has his job on the line for not winning games. Artistic merit doesn't guarantee a win or get you more points or will save him his job.