family tree Find my past/ancestry

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Re: family tree Find my past/ancestry

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Hugh Jargon wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:21 pm Discovered I'm mostly Irish with Afro carribean cousins.

This explains my exceptional dance ability.Pardon?
... and your propensity for drinking and fighting as well presumably?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Hugh Jargon wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:21 pm Did the DNA thing on ancestory. Discovered I'm mostly Irish with Afro carribean cousins.

This explains my exceptional dance ability.Pardon?
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

More like...
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

woodgreenspur wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:59 pm Yeah road names change a lot. I found that loads of times when tracing where my lot lived.
A right pain
Haha, our village has 1 road through the middle, it's just called "Village Street", if it's mentioned in old census. The property shows on the earliest OS maps, but wasn't registered until the 60s :shock:
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Samba wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:28 pm More like...
Phil Lynott was once asked what it was like to be black and Irish. He replied - "Like a Pint of Guinness"
East Sussex Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by East Sussex Hammer »

Hi

On the subject of daily trees anyone know where Dale road in Canning Town used to be know it took a major hut in WW2 but can't find any trace if it on a map.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

East Sussex Hammer wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:59 pm Hi

On the subject of daily trees anyone know where Dale road in Canning Town used to be know it took a major hut in WW2 but can't find any trace if it on a map.
I had the same issue trying to track down a road between Mile End and Bow where my Nan lived and is no more.

I found it on londonwiki.co.uk

There is an entry for Dale Road and mentions the rough area around Star Lane.

https://londonwiki.co.uk/streets1940D/DaleroadE16.shtml
East Sussex Hammer

Jonah wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:19 pm I had the same issue trying to track down a road between Mile End and Bow where my Nan lived and is no more.

I found it on londonwiki.co.uk

There is an entry for Dale Road and mentions the rough area around Star Lane.

https://londonwiki.co.uk/streets1940D/DaleroadE16.shtml

Thanks so much that gives me an idea. My great grandad lived there for a period of time. We now live in East Sussex but my son has moved to London and is an architect and is designing a building less than a 1/3 of a mile from there spooky.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

I have a facsimile of an old (1938/39) A to Z which shows a Dale Road heading south off Star Road to Barking Road near Canning Town station. I'll try to scan and post it later on tonight.
East Sussex Hammer

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:46 pm I have a facsimile of an old (1938/39) A to Z which shows a Dale Road heading south off Star Road to Barking Road near Canning Town station. I'll try to scan and post it later on tonight.
Thank you so much that would be a great help. My grandparents lived in Pond Road which is not a million miles away.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

The wonderful Missus Jaye has recently received the results from an Ancestry kit I bought her for Xmas. One of her matches was identified as a potential cousin.

Her mum doesn’t have any siblings whilst her dad has a brother who emigrated to Canada and didn’t marry/have kids.

She did a bit of digging around on this potential cousin who whilst living in Florida was born near Vancouver, where her uncle had lived. She found some pictures of the potential cousin and the likeness to her uncle and her brother is spookily similar. Her uncle was a bit of a lad and had a few short term/one night dalliances … and the dates/locations were feasible.

She has reached out to him but he’s not got back.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Here you go.

It's not the clearest so here's a Dropbox link to the original PDF, you can magnify it with the controls top right of the image. Click on the down arrow in the 175% box:-

Dale Road

Dale Road is in square 28L and Pond Road is in 28J.
East Sussex Hammer

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:19 pm Here you go.

It's not the clearest so here's a Dropbox link to the original PDF, you can magnify it with the controls top right of the image. Click on the down arrow in the 175% box:-

Dale Road

Dale Road is in square 28L and Pond Road is in 28J.
Thank you so much that gives me more of an idea. I can't believe how close my son is designing a place near to where his great great Grandad lived. It's mental.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

I tracd my dad's side back to sixteen hundred and something. No surprises, except that several generations remained within Stepney.

In my ignorance, I didn't realise that a huge proportion of the East End used to be known as the parish of Stepney.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

pablo jaye wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:52 pm The wonderful Missus Jaye has recently received the results from an Ancestry kit I bought her for Xmas. One of her matches was identified as a potential cousin.

Her mum doesn’t have any siblings whilst her dad has a brother who emigrated to Canada and didn’t marry/have kids.

She did a bit of digging around on this potential cousin who whilst living in Florida was born near Vancouver, where her uncle had lived. She found some pictures of the potential cousin and the likeness to her uncle and her brother is spookily similar. Her uncle was a bit of a lad and had a few short term/one night dalliances … and the dates/locations were feasible.

She has reached out to him but he’s not got back.
I did an Ancesty dna test last year as it all came out at the age of 44 that my parents had used Harley Street sperm donors so my “Dad” wasn’t my biological Dad and my three siblings were only technically half siblings. Bit of a shock for a couple of days.

Ancestry matched another 7 half siblings, one in the USA, and the site flagged them all as first cousins.

Not saying this is the same for your wife but the site seems to show circa 50% dna matches as cousins by default.
Eastcote
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Eastcote »

Roby wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:00 am I did an Ancesty dna test last year as it all came out at the age of 44 that my parents had used Harley Street sperm donors so my “Dad” wasn’t my biological Dad and my three siblings were only technically half siblings. Bit of a shock for a couple of days.

Ancestry matched another 7 half siblings, one in the USA, and the site flagged them all as first cousins.

Not saying this is the same for your wife but the site seems to show circa 50% dna matches as cousins by default.
Check out The Gift podcast on BBC Sounds especially the first one Fraud sounds like your family and a few others had the same Doctor helping your family out.........
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Roby wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:00 am I did an Ancesty dna test last year as it all came out at the age of 44 that my parents had used Harley Street sperm donors so my “Dad” wasn’t my biological Dad and my three siblings were only technically half siblings. Bit of a shock for a couple of days.

I can imagine that it was a shock for you and quite unsettling for a while. Its possibly why my wife hasn’t heard anything, and I can understand why people don’t want to rake up the past.

I know what you mean about the accuracy as well, my wife had to do a bit of digging to confirm the relationship.
MaylandHammer
Has liked: 87 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by MaylandHammer »

pablo jaye wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:49 am I can imagine that it was a shock for you and quite unsettling for a while. Its possibly why my wife hasn’t heard anything, and I can understand why people don’t want to rake up the past.

I know what you mean about the accuracy as well, my wife had to do a bit of digging to confirm the relationship.
I think modern "technology" really does have the dangers of bringing out multiple skeletons from closets & I guess a lot will depend on an individuals outlook & motivations.

My daughter did one of those spit in a test tube & send it off things that she got as a jokey present one Christmas (I think it was 23 & me ?). Several months later she got a message from a lady in the US who said they were close relatives (27% or something). They continued conversing via email & then one day the US lady sent her a photograph & the woman in the picture could literally have been her mum.

Initial thoughts were that my wifes dad was the "culprit" as he was a bit of a rogue back in the day, but actually turns out that it was my wifes mum who had an affair with an Irish fella, who also had numerous daliances with other young ladies, many of whom were unmarried irish girls and the babies were put up for adoption.

Very long story short, but my wife's dad was never actually her biological dad & all her siblings are only half siblings. The flip side is that she has 7 other half siblings that she didnt even know existed !!
MaylandHammer
Has liked: 87 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by MaylandHammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:17 am I tracd my dad's side back to sixteen hundred and something. No surprises, except that several generations remained within Stepney.

In my ignorance, I didn't realise that a huge proportion of the East End used to be known as the parish of Stepney.
Same. Maternal family on my dad's side were Huguenots.

My cousin has done the family tree dating back to the 16th century & its interesting to see how certain historical events tie in with known dates, such as the Edict of Fontainebleau & George Courtauld opening a silk "factory" during the industrial revolution in Braintree (family myth/legend says they were french lace makers & made some of Queen Victorias wedding dress..........probably cobblers !) with a third of the children (they always had loads) being born in Shoreditch, a third being born in Braintree & a third being born back in East London (Bethnal Green) where they stayed for the next 150 years...... They obviously weren't too keen on Essex !!