Is the music industry killing vinyl?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Is the music industry killing vinyl?

Post by Big George »

Great article about the pricing and the sort of consumer buying.
Half of vinyl buyers don’t own a record player. They apparently bought the Taylor Swift album as a kind of memorabilia—something a little nicer than a band T-shirt.

This can’t be a good thing for the record business. After all, how many records are you going to buy if you don’t have a turntable? This is like trying to sell Teslas as a status symbol to people who don’t drive.
https://tedgioia.substack.com/p/did-the ... -just-kill
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: Is the music industry killing vinyl?

Post by mumbles87 »

Big George wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:02 pm Great article about the pricing and the sort of consumer buying.

https://tedgioia.substack.com/p/did-the ... -just-kill
But why is vinyl being kept alive? For the weird notion that it sounds best (even tho the human ear can only detect sound at certain levels so the advanced vinyl would have over MP3 would be undetectable)
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

I would never have moved to CD if it wasn't for the fact that record companies trashed vinyl in the late 80s by producing really low quality products. The last album I bought was almost a flexi-disc (ask yer Dad).

It's personal preference but I feel mp3 was more convenient than CD and for people who want a tangible form of music, an LP>CD
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:38 pm But why is vinyl being kept alive? For the weird notion that it sounds best (even tho the human ear can only detect sound at certain levels so the advanced vinyl would have over MP3 would be undetectable)
I certainly love the sound of vinyl, that's not me saying it's 'best' but that it's what I grew up with and it's what i'll die off with.
There's something about shelves full of LP's that appeals to my eye and ear. I do use CD and on occasions , cassette but nothing else. I like the physical medium

Clearly a minority but there are still many enthusiasts for vinyl, shown perhaps by the wide variety of Turntables still being produced at various price points, some of which are extraordinarily expensive, those manufacturers clearly have an interest in keeping vinyl alive.

However, the idea that people buy vinyl who don't own a record player is odd, unless they think that one day they'll be worth a lot of money, which IMO, they won't, or simply as an art form, which kind of gets me back to the physical medium .
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The vinyl sales market is growing.

There's also a strengthening market for collectibles, and some vinyl sales are aimed at that - limited edition product, almost archivist labels.

For example, The MRS (Memphis Recording Service) and FTD (Follow That Dream) labels feature 'luxury' 'completist' Elvis stuff. Dealers buy them new and hold them as an 'investment'.

I bought the Sun Masters on MRS from HMV about six years ago - usual £29.99 - I've seen them go for over £100 now.

I've got a Pearl Harbor concert copy, that some people are trying to flog for £300 Mint.

There must be similar things for the Beatles, Stones, Pistols etc.

I think people would be very surprised at some of the 2nd hand stuff that sells as well - things that people think are naff.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:38 pm But why is vinyl being kept alive?
For me, and plenty more like me who enjoy putting on a record and listening to a piece of music as a kind of ritual.
Just as reading a physical book, going to a theater to see people live not on Netflix, making food by cooking it yourself not going to KFC....

My impression is that I listen to the music more attentively, than a playlist
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

^^ Recall talking about something similar a few years back.
When I was younger and there was only ‘live’ TV any particular series I liked was something special. I knew what time it was on, made sure that I was ready to watch it and watched it without distraction.
Now that you have boxed sets I find that my attention span is next to nothing, often find myself putting something on and still looking at my phone or something, simply because it is no longer special, or ‘live’ and if I have missed something, then just I rewind it.

Even with VHS, it wasn’t the same. Probably just an old man moaning.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:46 am Even with VHS, it wasn’t the same. Probably just an old man moaning.
It's not moaning. What you are describing is what some call mindfull attentiveness / mindfullness.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

szola wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:59 am It's not moaning. What you are describing is what some call mindfull attentiveness / mindfullness.
Just googled that. :newthumb: definitely seemed like life was less stressful - that said I was younger and had no real responsibilities. But like the old saying goes, it was always the little things that seemed special, now its almost like 'survivor mode' for everything.

sorry - going off topic.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

I know that record pressing plants in not just the UK but Europe are flat out producing vinyl and there's at least a six-month waiting list for independent bands wanting vinyl pressed. This is mainly down to the big record companies and artists putting in large lucrative orders which the companies are lapping up. The fastest turnaround I've found when researching a vinyl pressing for my band was in Taiwan and that was a 3 week wait.
Vinyl is collectable and I've known many collectors and fans to buy several copies of the same record in different coloured vinyl. It ain't cheap either. You're looking at over a score for an LP and around a tenner for a 7" single.
Even tapes are making a comeback (why I do not know!).
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

I sold a Madness album for nearly £40 not so long ago. I thought it was worth about £6.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:52 pm I sold a Madness album for nearly £40 not so long ago. I thought it was worth about £6.
Was there something out of the ordinary about it?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:52 pm I sold a Madness album for nearly £40 not so long ago. I thought it was worth about £6.
must be love...
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Record manufacturers are "flat out" because there are so few of them.

The industry went from producing millions a week to zilch.Gone are EMI, Polygram,CBS,Decca,Pye.etc

The circle has turned for the small indie pressing plants who used to just service the smaller labels who were frozen out by the giants. A few of them survive.Now they are the main players.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:00 pm Was there something out of the ordinary about it?
The only thing I can think of is that it had a pristine Madness Information Service leaflet in it.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

still a very good price; I'd always expected second hand copies of big run records went for about half that.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

It's a bit abnormal I think but there are collectors out there for things like that and Queen, Kylie, Madonna etc and punk singles seem to be quite desirable.

Things like original LPs by the Smiths, the Clash etc all seem to be really sought after.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

I just bought a turntable (and cd player) before Xmas, so I hope that the recording industry doesn't kill vinyl.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

I went into a local charity shop. I saw a vinyl of David Bowie, Changes. Cost £20.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:59 pm I went into a local charity shop. I saw a vinyl of David Bowie, Changes. Cost £20.
Second hand vinyl (assuming it's decent) is the only reason I'd ever buy it. Record fairs and charity shops are the places to get good deals.

Wouldn't pay silly prices for new stuff.